• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long will reloads last in storage?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Noticed the other day that I have thousands upon thousands of the projectiles, cases and primers I use for my carbine AR that lines up very well with Xm193 and is my 'go to' loading. I don't plan on changing it and its worked very well as far as accuracy, reliability and I've had zero issues with it.

I was thinking I'd start loading some of it and keep it in ammo cans in larger sandwich bags in the house where its VERY dry (Utah desert) and air conditioned but was curious as to how long the reloads are good for as far as deteriorating over time.

I know the stories of people shooting reloads their dad made 20 years ago and I'm sure they will work fine, but was more interested in if I took some of them out 2 or 5 or 10 years from now, will they perform the same as when they were made as far as velocity/accuracy/point of impact or does the powder/primer eventually wear down ever so slightly over time since these rounds aren't sealed like some of the older milsurp ammo is?

Thanks

As with any reloads, they may only be as good as the person loading them. If you load them properly, there should be no reason why they would not last as long as factory loaded rounds kept in the same conditions. I live in a high desert area and I have no worries about letting my "just in case" reloaded rounds stay stored until I may need them. If you shoot these often, you could cycle them out every 5-10 years if it makes you feel better about shelf life.

I keep 2-3 thousand standard 308 reloads on hand at all times, standard load, 41.8 4064 with a 175 LC brass, they shoot real nice in my 308 bolt guns, I only keep 500 260 rounds and will start keeping 500 300 win mag (new gun). I expect the 260 and 300 throat to wear so I wont make up thousands, I also keep 500 308 rounds for my fav bolt gun, these are lapua and varget with 175 smk and shoot very tight groups. I have shot my own reloads that were 14 years old, shot just fine, kept in plastic MTM boxes inside the house.

I keep 2-3 thousand standard 308 reloads on hand at all times, standard load, 41.8 4064 with a 175 LC brass, they shoot real nice in my 308 bolt guns, I only keep 500 260 rounds and will start keeping 500 300 win mag (new gun). I expect the 260 and 300 throat to wear so I wont make up thousands, I also keep 500 308 rounds for my fav bolt gun, these are lapua and varget with 175 smk and shoot very tight groups. I have shot my own reloads that were 14 years old, shot just fine, kept in plastic MTM boxes inside the house.
    Do you ever have issues with bonding between the bullet/case after storage, resulting in higher pressures? I've seen some guys talk about using graphite/talc powder on them or breaking the seal in a press before shooting

Do you ever have issues with bonding between the bullet/case after storage, resulting in higher pressures? I've seen some guys talk about using graphite/talc powder on them or breaking the seal in a press before shooting

Im shooting some mil surp 30-06 that is 50-60 years old. The mil spec calls for tar to waterproof between the bullet and the neck. Its also a solid glue judging by trying to pull some bullets, that on top of the crimp, those bullets are stuck solid. In comparison, and at similar loadings of supposed similar powder (IMR 4895), my reloads would be considerably less mated to the case neck.

I have heard of a reverse concern where loads that are compressed can overtime "springback" and push the bullet out of the case. Perhaps the extra length will cause pressure issues. This is something Ive "heard" about never experienced.

Id think any modern loaded/reloaded ammo, stored properly, would last an extremely long time - a lifetime. There were issues with ammo loaded in the 1920's/30's that used mercuric primers. The primers would actually break down the brass in storage and could result in casehead separations. This is a different issue from "corrosive ammo" that was primed with salty primers. "Corrosive ammo" has no effect on the brass and its only concern is with nitrate residues left in the gun that can corrode the rifle itself. Ive reloaded Korean KA headstamp corrosive 30-06 and its on its 4th firing. Just ensure you water wash the salts away after a first firing.

I, and many others are still shooting WWII ammo and its still good to go. I did attempt to shoot some old 8mm ammo we found in AFG and you could pull the bullets out of the case and the necks were brittle. With some of the old mil match ammo, guys used to seat the bullet in the case another .005 just to crack the sealant if they found some real old ammo. Provided the ammo does not get too hot i'm sure it will last. There are stories about guys shooting some of the old cupre-nickle ammo in .303's way back in the day and the necks of the cases stuck to the bullets and went down the bore. As far as reloads go, I have some stuff I loaded about 18 years ago and its still just fine.

A couple of years ago I split a thousand round case of 303 British ammo with a buddy. It shot just fine, but smelled funny after it was shot. I pulled a couple of bullets and found that the rounds were loaded with what I believed to be cordite. The cases had these rods that looked like mechanical pencil lead, only thicker.

The cordite looking rods went from the base of the case to start of the case's shoulder. All the ammo was as accurate as any other 303 ammo I have shot out of that rifle, including the best "match" ammo I am able to produce on a single stage press. I shot it all up, and not a single round misfired. IIRC the ammo had head stamps from the early 1940's. Berdan primed though.

I have 15+ year old reloads that shoot the same as the day they were made, stored in plastic pails, 3 gal with a good cover. I've vacuum sealed reloads also, compared to loads that can get air, those things remained looking like they came fresh off the press, shoot the same also. I'd venture to guess storing or stacking vacuum sealed bags would create some issues?

Indefinitely if kept in moderate temp and dry storage. I've shot some of my reloads from the early 80's. As well mil surp ammo from the 30's without any problems except for an occasional dead primer.

Last edited:
    A couple of years ago, maybe three, I ran across a 20 round box of .223 ammo I'd loaded up to try in my M700 varmint special back in 1983 or 84. 45 grain spritzers with H335 powder. I took them to the range to shoot up in my vARmint rifle (AR15 with a 24" stainless steel bull barrel) and those rounds shot the best group that rifle has ever shot.

Years ago I settled on IMR4198 as the best powder for my M700, but I went out and bought a 1 lb. can of H335 powder to load up some more. Still haven't done it though.

I also shot up some .44 magnum reloads from the early 80's and some 30.06 reloads from the same time period. It all went bang and shot good groups.

Short answer, these handloaded components are virtually inert. They should last 20-50 years under ideal conditions. Compare that to your average IRS hard drive. BB

I've noticed that all military loads seal the primer and many seal the neck/bullet as well. This might be done to ensure mechanical strength, but I'm willing to bet that it helps long term storage under adverse conditions. Keeping cartridges cool and dry is the first step.

If I were loading ammunition for long term storage, I'd consider sealing the neck/bullet joint and the primers to reduce the risk of damage due to various fumes that can cause powder and primers to deteriorate.

Having all your components loaded reduces the chance of loosing part of them, and I would think shelf life on a loaded cartridge is longer than the individual components by virtue of the case being somewhat air/moisture proof.

I have been told high heat/ temps will break down powder ? Don't know if this holds true with the newer compounds ? But I have seen an example of older ammo pulled down and powder dumped onto a clean white rag ...it left a reddish dust , this I was told is a sign it's getting pretty old and bad ?

THE QUESTION

"...... if I took some of them out 2 or 5 or 10 years from now, will they perform the same as when they were made as far as velocity/accuracy/point of impact or does the powder/primer eventually wear down ever so slightly over time......"

The ANSWER is yes; "same as when they were made" 2 or 5 or 10 years from now.

And, assuming you store in a reasonably cool and dry place - without needing to seal the primers or the bullet.

Ten years from now, your milk will spoil and your bread will get stale and your gun will rust, but your ammo will still be serviceable. Period. BB