• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How loud is a 5.56 through a 7.62 Can?

TXSTDU

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
Texas
I have tried my googlefu but have come up short.

Can anyone direct me to any sort of real world data of the noise reduction of a 7.62 can on a 5.56?

I am shopping for my first can and wanting to know how well a 7.62 can for my bolt gun will work on my AR.

Re: How loud is a 5.56 through a 7.62 Can?

That is honestly better than I expected. Now time to get to get the finishing touches on the trust and order the 30p-1

Here's a test on a 5.56 host with YHM 5.56 Ti/QD at 135.4db and YHM 7.62 Ti/QD at 140.8db at the muzzle, there's some other 5.56 suppressors tested as well;
http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/...cans-on-5-56mm)-SOUND-TESTING-on-a-KAC-SR15E3

The difference of 5.4db is almost twice as loud, based on each increase of 6db being perceived as twice as loud, so a dedicated 5.56 suppressor will be less noisy.

At ear the sound pressure was higher and about equal in each of the two, due to the direct impingement host's high pressure gas coming back through the gas tube, but a gas piston host should test with less sound pressure at ear than muzzle.

An increase of the sound level by 3 dB corresponds to a doubling (factor = 2) of sound intensity.

An increase of the sound level by 6 dB corresponds to a doubling of the sound pressure.

An increase in the sound level by 10 dB corresponds to the sensation of double the "volume".

For my statement that 6db is perceived as twice as loud, I was going on research by Richard M. Warren, and John G. Neuhoff saying that our hearing is more sensitive to rising levels of sound.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm;

Is 10 dB or 6 dB sound level change for a doubling or halving of the loudness (volume) correct?
About the connection between sound level and loudness, there are various theories. Widely accepted is still the theory of psycho-acoustic pioneer Stanley Smith Stevens, indicating that the doubling or halving of the sensation of loudness corresponds to a level difference of 10 dB. Recent research by Richard M. Warren, on the other hand leads to a level difference of only 6 dB. *) This means that a double sound pressure corresponds to a double loudness. The psychologist John G. Neuhoff found that our hearing is more sensitive to rising levels of sound as to falling levels. That is for the same sound level difference the change of loudness from quiet to loud is stronger than from loud to quiet.
It is suggested that the sone scale of loudness reflects the influence of known experimental biases and hence does not represent a fundamental relation between stimulus and sensation.

*) Richard M. Warren, "Elimination of Biases in Loudness Judgments for Tones";
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/...06B001397000001

It follows that the determination of the volume (loudness) which is double as loud should not be dogmatically defined. More realistic is the claim:
A doubling of the sensed volume (loudness) is equivalent to a level change approximately between 6 dB and 10 dB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quiet enough to NOT need ear plugs... think subsonic 22 unsuppressed </div></div>

I wouldn't shoot a .22 unsuppressed (subsonic or otherwise) without hearing protection of some sort. My hearing is still in pretty good shape and I'd like to keep it that way. A .30 can on a 5.56 helps a LOT, but I'm not going to ruin my hearing just because I dropped $1300 on a suppressor for the front end.

Here are some examples from HTG Silencers...

5.56 14.5" M4

Unsuppressed 163.2dB
Aris (6" .223) 129.4dB
Eureka (4.8" .223) 136.1dB
M30-A (8.5" .308) 131.6dB

These readings were all taken on the same morning with, with the same M4, and same ammo. Readings will vary by day. But this is a good cross comparison since measured with no change of variables.

The .308 can (suppressing .223) wasn't as quiet as the 6" .223 can, but it was quieter than the 4.8" .223 can.

I am sure you can find similar comparisons between .308 and .223 suppressors of other manufacturers as well.

Thanks for the heads up. This is making my 7.62 selection much easier. My lawyer is drafting my trust at the moment and as soon as it is done it will be time to purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d00d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my statement that 6db is perceived as twice as loud, I was going on research by Richard M. Warren, and John G. Neuhoff saying that our hearing is more sensitive to rising levels of sound.</div></div>Thanks for that.

a .223 shot through a great .30 can will allow you to wear hearing protection and not go deaf through bone conduction.

Seriously.

Also consider the tone of a report. Absolute dB readings are fine, but most of us perceive sounds differently, probably based on what part of our hearing works best. This is not to say that you should shoot loud cans without hearing protection! Just that each host, ammo, weather condition, etc. makes things sound just a bit different from the last.

Without a sound meter, only your ear will tell you whether or not you like a certain can on a certain gun with that particular ammo (again, please not I am not talking about hearing-safe, just preference). For example, some people like the low tone of Elite Iron cans. Others prefer the tinny sound of titanium units. Me, I like the big volume cans on ARs because of the decreased gas in my face. I usually have (and supply to others) plugs in when I am around other shooters, since they can sneak in the unsupressed shot that always seems to ruin my day/demo.

Don't have data, but to my ear and many others, my AAC 7.62SD sounds quieter on an AR (.223) than some dedicated .223 cans do.

Nothing over 88 dB is safe on your ears, no matter how much hearing you've already blown away thinking that it is fine. Your high end hearing will be the first to go. Welded, heavy tubed Ti cans are not "tinny," just the opposite, they thud.

It will be louder then a dedicated 5.56 can,like someone else mentioned,think subsonic 22lr unsuppressed. As for using your .30 cal can on your ar platform goes,you should have no problem. I have an AAC scarH,and with their m4-2000 qd adapter,it will got onto my m4 no problem.

personally I think 5.56 sounds better through my 762SD than it does through my friend's M41000 5.56 can. (on the same rifle of course)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HTG-Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some examples from HTG Silencers...

5.56 14.5" M4

Unsuppressed 163.2dB
Aris (6" .223) 129.4dB
Eureka (4.8" .223) 136.1dB
M30-A (8.5" .308) 131.6dB

These readings were all taken on the same morning with, with the same M4, and same ammo. Readings will vary by day. But this is a good cross comparison since measured with no change of variables.

The .308 can (suppressing .223) wasn't as quiet as the 6" .223 can, but it was quieter than the 4.8" .223 can.

I am sure you can find similar comparisons between .308 and .223 suppressors of other manufacturers as well. </div></div>

The 14.5" M4 should meter ~165-167DB.

http://www.silencertalk.com/results.htm