• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How low is too low for positioning a scope?

jwkao2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Problem:</span></span> So I got my brand new rifle, and shiny new scope. I mounted it, leveled the cross-hairs, and now want to put it away. However the bikini cover is too thick (or the scope is too low) to put on the objective side of the scope. It doesn't fit between the barrel and the scope.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Query 1:</span></span> What height margin is good to have between the scope and the barrel?

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Query 2:</span></span> I was planning on getting Butler Creek Flip Covers for it but I'm afraid they won't fit. Any ideas or suggestions on how you might deal with this problem? Creativity is always a plus in my book. But I guess Occam's Razor would suggest getting taller scope rings.

If it makes any difference, I have a GAP Hospitaller and a Nightforce NXS 56mm with medium-high Badger Ordnance rings. I sent Ken from GAP an e-mail seeing if he could switch them for the high rings, and now I'm just waiting for his reply and great GAP customer service. I figured he would switch em out for me since he did suggest that height right? But just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue (I wouldn't call it a problem) and how it was addressed. Thanks in advance.

Re: How low is too low for positioning a scope?

beer and popcorn anyone?

As long as it doesnt touch the barrel, it isnt too low. For the B&Cs, sand the bottom down a little if they cannot fit.

The bottom line as far as height of the optic should be sight picture with a solid cheek weld. If the Butler Creeks won't fit, but the cheek weld is good, cut the bottom of the ring out and super glue it.If you can not get a clear sight picture, the ring height needs to be increased.

Possible solutions:

1) Notch the cover at the 6 o'clock position.
2) Move the scope forward (while maintaining proper eye relief) farther along the barrel taper.
3) Get higher rings

I like to get my scopes as low as possible, while still getting a comfortable cheek weld. The problem that you are having is one of the reasons why I stick with the 50mm objectives. If I had gone with the 56mm, I would have had to go with high rings. As it is now, I had to shave my bikini cover to get it between the bell and the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to shave my bikini cover to get it between the bell</div></div>

Hey man, whatever you want to do with your bikini area is your business
grin.gif

Close your eyes get a good cheek weld, or what feels best to you, then open your eyes. When you open your eyes only minimal adjustments or none at all should have to be made have a perfect scope picture. If all this goes well you have the correct scope height. It's not rocket science, it's ergonomics.

I specifically have my scopes as low as I can possibly get them just so I don't have a check rest that looks like my old M1A.

Currently my objective/barrel ratio is .098" ... I love it!!

DK

Get behind your rifle in the position it will be shot most with your eyes closed.

Open your eyes.

Place scope where it will be centered on front of your eyeball.

Having a poorly fit rifle to use a lens cover of choice is a move I'd not make. Bartlein is cutting a HV contour barrel on a rifle I traded into down to a Tubb contour as I type so my scope will fit at the height I run it.
Little extreme? I think not. I did not want to get higher rings because my cheekpiece was as high as I want it to shoot well.

I've also taken a round file to the top of a barrel to get a screw in scope cap to work with a scope set at my preferred height.

My New Year's Resolution was to quit trying to fit me to rifles, and start fitting rifles to me.....

What everyone is telling you is to set your scope so it is adjusted to you, without any "blackout" at the top, and then figure out how to cover the ends. It's only too low if your sight picture is blacked out around the top.

In general, the lower the better for a scope, as long as it does touch the barrel. This will also depend on your cheekpiece. I would go any low as needed so as to be aligned with your scope while having a comfortable cheekwell.

Perhaps I should clarify (or maybe should've named the thread something else like how to custom fit scope covers)... I appreciate all the help on adjusting my scope and answering what height the scope to barrel margin is. I even found the other threads on how high they should be. General consensus says under 1/4" or do the limbo and go as low as you can go.

Everything is comfortable the way I have it set up. The cheek weld and picture site are great. No black shadows, clouds, or any deterrents. I guess my main question now, is how do you fit scope covers and bikini covers on it? I know a lot of you have suggested sanding them/cutting them down, which seems like the road I'm going to have to take. Maybe there were other products out there that I don't know about or other creative suggestions. Just wondering if someone had any other ideas on a road less traveled. If not, thanks for all your input guys. This FNG surely appreciates it.

I am now in the opposite camp of low scopes. I used to think the lower the better, but after years of trial and error, I have found that higher works better. Your head is in a better position and it places to rifle in a better position to control it through recoil. Get some higher rings, raise the cheek piece and try it out.

You don’t want to tilt your head keep your head as straight as possible.

I would've posted a photo but I figure it really makes no difference. I measured it out and the scope is 2mm above the barrel. I hope this can help you offer any suggestions.

There is nothing on the market to solve your problem without modification. If you feel that you can raise your scope .1" or so and maintain a good cheek weld, then move up to the next size in rings.

If you want to stay where you are, do what I did, and cut the NF bikini at the 5-7 o'clock position. Forget the BC's, they are junk. The NF bikini with a zip tie is the best cover I have found and is easily modified.

If you're set on Butler Creeks, perhaps remove the ring portion of the unit which slides onto the scope from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock or so. And then replace said missing plastic section with riggers tape. One piece inside of the ring, & one outside.
The cap will be thinner where you need it to be, & should still snap shut. Wont be as good as the original fit in terms of locking shut, but...

Or, just cut out the above mentioned section, & then tape the modified cover right onto the scope tube. KISS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I specifically have my scopes as low as I can possibly get them just so I don't have a check rest that looks like my old M1A.

DK </div></div>

I measured mine and it's 2mm or .9". Talked to Ken from GAP and he said that the lower the better as well. It lowers the amount of POI correction. So I guess I'll keep it as is and cut the bikini covers. The makers should know best. Thanks everyone for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drano Bomb Ninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I specifically have my scopes as low as I can possibly get them just so I don't have a check rest that looks like my old M1A.

DK </div></div>

I measured mine and it's 2mm or .9". Talked to Ken from GAP and he said that the lower the better as well. It lowers the amount of POI correction. So I guess I'll keep it as is and cut the bikini covers. The makers should know best. Thanks everyone for your help. </div></div>

and that's supposed to be .09". heh.

Check the heights of other manufacturers rings, and maybe one will be only twenty or thirty thousandths higher and problem solved, without really raising scope enough to notice, except the caps fitting. If you are real lucky.