• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How many loading of Lapua without annealing?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I'm shooting Lapua brass in .308. 168 SMK, 44g Varget. I neck size the outside only and just bump the shoulder.

I'm considering annealing, but it looks like it's easy to screw up. How many cycles should I expect to get out of my brass if I never anneal?

Re: How many loading of Lapua without annealing?

I am up to somewhere 18-20 now. Still going strong.

I don't shoot Lapua brass so I can't help you there but I can tell you how to get past fears of ruining your brass.

Get some Tempilaq from a reloading supply company or even a local welder's supply shop. It's a paint that melts at a prescribed temperature. I use the 650°F variety. I put a dot where the shoulder meets the body on a few pieces of brass and let it dry. The first three pieces I anneal, I count in my head (on-patayta, two patatta, ...) until the Tempilaq melts, then quench it. That gives me a reference time that reflects how hot my flame is. Every 25 or 30 pieces or so, I anneal another piece with a dot of Tempilaq on it, just to be sure the temp hasn't drifted much.

tempilaq_close.gif

I'd recommend you not get Tempilstik, the crayon version. It doesn't stick well to brass and the change is harder to see.

Just watch some videos of people annealing. It is remarkably easy once you get the hang of it. If you don't get the indicator like suggested, just turn down the lights so you can see the first instance of a slight cherry color and then quench it.

I used to use the Tempilaq, now I just light my torch, turn out the lights, close the door, wait a couple minutes for my eyes to adapt to the darkness and start annealing and watch for the slightest change in color. I've got some cases that are approaching 50 reloads.
myerfire