• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how many of you who train a great deal are concerned about lead accumulation?

hopefully, you all see the relevance of the issue... and the variety of responses range from serious to sarcastic... we don't do this to cause ourselves the harm that we necessarily intend for those who deserve it when the time comes... caution and moderation in everything... my introduction to the shooting sports began with at the age of 10 with my WWII combat veteran father.... never did he discuss the issues of airborne lead and chemical contaminants, they weren't concerned nor did they even have a thought of the potential.... yet he died of lung and liver cancer years later... had also suffered mastoid process and breast cancer years before... the oncologist studied it, and asked me if he had been involved in the crossing of Europe with the 3rd Army... and he had..

Best to not treat it nonchalantly or with complacency... don't stop, but consider it

Everyone's system processes different things in different ways. Be it nicotine or lead, you never know...until you know.

It’s ok everyone, nobody cared who he was till he put on the mask.

I use TMJ bullets for handgun training. I suspect that the powder charge burning against led probably melts and errodes the led bullet a smidge and it's probably not great to breathe that. TMJs are jacketed all the way around so that doesn't happen. Also my 9mms like the Speer TMJ stuff and it's reasonably priced so I see no downside.

Boy...if they still used mercury fulminate yall would probably just completely quit shooting at all.

This kind of Appletom twattery is going to eventually be the end of civilian marksmanship.

Reactions: EddieNFL
This is one of those topics that fascinated me People choosing sides. There is no side to this topic

lead is bad for. Simple. No ones personal health improves because they absorbed lead.

that being said even the heaviest of shooters are probably going to suffer little to no ill effect from the minor amounts of lead you may absorb and ingest.

if you were a full time indoor instructor or RO working 40+ hours a week indoors you may have some issues.

but here is a super simple thing I added to my shooting routine about 6 months ago
D-Lead D-Wipe Disposable Towels - 150 towels Per Container, WT-151 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CF77Q3N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ytw-EbCY3EEK6

When I leave the range I wipe my hands and my face and I’m good to go. Would I die with out it. No. Is it a good idea when I have my young daughter with me since small amounts of lead are much more hazardous for children yup absolutely.
It’s cheap it’s easy and honestly refreshing after shooting especial if it was hot and muggy out

Reactions: shoobe01
This is one of those topics that fascinated me People choosing sides. There is no side to this topic

lead is bad for. Simple. No ones personal health improves because they absorbed lead.

that being said even the heaviest of shooters are probably going to suffer little to no ill effect from the minor amounts of lead you may absorb and ingest.

if you were a full time indoor instructor or RO working 40+ hours a week indoors you may have some issues.

but here is a super simple thing I added to my shooting routine about 6 months ago
D-Lead D-Wipe Disposable Towels - 150 towels Per Container, WT-151 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CF77Q3N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ytw-EbCY3EEK6

When I leave the range I wipe my hands and my face and I’m good to go. Would I die with out it. No. Is it a good idea when I have my young daughter with me since small amounts of lead are much more hazardous for children yup absolutely.
It’s cheap it’s easy and honestly refreshing after shooting especial if it was hot and muggy out

I think you hit the nail on the head.
The world is full of people who are so fucking educated, about every fucking thing that might, someday, possibly kill them, while simultaneously becoming too stupid to wash their fucking hands, face, and ass.

Last edited:

D-wipes are available in large tubs of 150 towels at welding supply stores like Norco or Oxarc and are handy.

I used to shoot 15K rounds a year or more of pistol, rifle, shotgun and machinegun, did that for 17 years, still shoot a few thousand rounds a year of rifle, pistol and shotgun. Wash your hands, don't put your dirty range shoes up on your coffee table, taking them off at the door is better. Don't dig in your nose or ass, no open containers, food or smoking on the firing line.

Zero issues outdoors. Cross contamination from poor hygiene can be a problem. The only other problem I had from a lot of shooting and traveling was everything gun related hits for explosives(gunpowder residue) after a while and the TSA can be stupid.

Didnt read the whole thread, but there are things you can eat/drink that will draw any heavy metals out and will allow you to be heathy. I would do this often if you think its a real concern. Don’t wait until you get high amounts before starting. Its good to do even if you are not shooting. We are bombarded with stuff we can’t see or are unaware of constantly.

Getting tests would be part of my regular routine if i was thinking i could be exposed to high amounts. All of this is available easily as painters expose themselves often.

I don't know of any effective and safe chelation therapies that are available OTC, or over the internet. Chelation therapy as administered by medical professionals is still risky enough I know of ONE person who has had it done, though I know several who have had elevated blood levels of dangerous compounds. It was safer to simply avoid exposure and wait a year instead.

Summary here regarding chelation therapy and dangerous/illegal alternatives: https://www.poison.org/articles/2011-mar/chelation-therapy

If you really believe in one, do share specifically what you mean.