• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many on Hide use their precision rifle for...

Re: How many on Hide use their precision rifle for...

same here...long range antelope snipeing out west, cant wait till oct. now that i drew a tag.

Hunting2010008.jpg

PigHunt048.jpg

PigHunt018.jpg

I use mine hunting/target and comps....

Aron-

Looks like you need to get closer, or shoot a bigger caliber! LOL

And Chucky uses his rifle to gut his deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Edge @ 24 yards. 300gr. SMK.
ScottsPictures1768.jpg
</div></div>
LMAO All the time and money spent on the rifle just to shoot that buck at 24yrds, that would be my luck! </div></div>

My 16lb rifle is going up a mountain on Monday for Sitka Blacktails.

Didn't know there was another type of rifle.
We use ours for all of the above uses. The difference in weight is only a couple quarts of water...we just pack them.

Definitely.
I don't feel remotely as confident in lightweight hunting rigs compared to a heavier precision rifle. I'll carry a 16lb rifle over an 8-9lb rifle any day, simply because it's more comfortable for me to shoot at longer ranges.

Put together a lighter weight rifle for hunting once(8-9 lbs); sold it, rather have 1 or 2 rifles i know, trust, and enjoy to shoot than add another to the mix.
it did work
smile.gif
just didn't like playing with it at the range as much.
IMG_20101218_064134.jpg

I built mine for the most part so I would be more proficient with bullet placement so I don't have to track game so much. So far I have had to track only about 8ft. Knock on wood LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rdgss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I got in this game. To kill stuff from a long ways away. So yes, my precision rifle is my hunting rifle. </div></div>

This. Ihunt with all my rifles. I don't have any traditional hunting rifles.

I do most of my hunting with a bow, when I decide to do some killing as the season comes to a close I take a rifle out. I have killed 90% of my rifle deer in the last 7 years with either a .223 or .22-250 and good bullets, with lung shots its absolutely lethal and to date I have not lost one whitetail. I have shot a few with my grandfathers (a great man) FN 30-06 that he homesteaded Alaska with for nostalgic reasons.

I am sure I will take some heat for my .224 caliber choices but its legal here and having used them on Caribou and Bear in Alaska they seem fine for whitetail in the 15 years I've been on the East Coast. So, with over 30 whitetails down, so spare me any lectures. (Or go ahead, you wont change my mind... but thanks for your opinions...)

Sill, would rather be in the tree with my supertuned Hoyt AlphaBurner and razor sharp broadheads than anything else and have killed more deer with them then rifles.

Awsome pics posted by some of you guys, hats off to you.

BA

Why wouldn't you. You spend all that money on the rifle, and trying to shoot little groups with it right. It would be in your best interst to use one for hunting. In hunting you want a clean first shot kill, so the animal doesn't suffer. Why not use the rifle you probibly shoot the most, not to mention the most accurate too. I use mine every chance I get, including any custom rifles I have built.

Mine slays tweety birds in flight at 1000 yards.
5c429350.jpg

....with the bullet splash on the steel target.

I don't hunt much anymore, but every rifle I own I hunt with- LR rifle, 3 gun rig, even the M4 style AR. I traded my hunting rifle away a couple of months ago, it was the only rifle I never hunted with anymore. One pic with some kills and another from a deer stand.

Deer2.jpg

2009-11-26082654.jpg

Chucky I can't help believing there was one BAD smell coming from what appears to be a gut shot deer!
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chucky I can't help believing there was one BAD smell coming from what appears to be a gut shot deer!
eek.gif
</div></div>

It wasn't the greatest smell. It was only about 50 yards quartering towards me. I put it right behind the shoulder and it exited where you see its guts hanging out. That was a 168 grain sierra matchking that did all that damage.
frown.gif

if your talking about precision tatical rifles I wouldnt own one I couldnt carry hunting,I think they are one & same, "hunting" is what they are designed to do best, no matter whats being "hunted" & I would never hunt with a rifle thats not capable of precision,that being said there is a differnce in precision target -bench rifles and precision tatical rifles, precision tatical rifles are built to "hunt" ; killing stuff

Mine gets carried and used for everything...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zombies only </div></div>

Agreed. </div></div>
This.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you use your precision rifle for hunting? or is it strictly for target/comp?
</div></div>

All my rifles are used for hunting at one time or the other.

/Chris

It was 10 below this day so the dog froze before I got a chance to get a decent pic with him. Camera was freezing up too. Too bad as he was a good looking dog, thick fur.

Another Tikka kill. He trotted right into a MatchKing.

Sanitized10belowYote.jpg

.338 Lapua Magnum vs. New Mexico Oryx

.338LM wins EVERYTIME!!!!

100_0325.jpg

I came to this site to learn more about shooting at longer ranges for hunting.

The sad thing is that the more time I spend on load development and accuracy the closer the deer come out. Hundreds of yards of pipeline and they will pop out at 23 yards.

Mines to heavey to carry far
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you use your precision rifle for hunting? or is it strictly for target/comp?
</div></div>

Yes, Zombies.

When i get my M40A3 from GAP....it will be used for hunting and long range fun.
smile.gif

Hi,
What do you think of hunting with an AI AW 300 wm?
i still have an heavy rifle and a GS2 to carry it but the AI is a little bit heavier,maybe too much for shooting offhand..
if it's not possible it will be a DTA!

For those of you who use your precision rigs, are you humping your rifle out or are you taking motorized transport? I may head to Texas at some point and would like to use my Sendero in an actual sendero. For local hunting, hiking up a mountain precludes carrying a long, heavy rifle, so I use an M4 style AR in 6.8 SPC.

jim

Used my cow barreled sporter for my Caribou trip. Limited to 65 pound luggage total. Could not sacrifice that much gear to take my heavy rifle.

Good luck

Jerry

Bull from September 9, 2011
047.jpg

hunting. i dont mind carrying my heavy AI. 700 remys because im am confident that im goin to hit what im shooting at. only hangups are the old timers at hunting camp that call me a sniper when i pull out my rifles

These rifles are too damn expensive to use as a dedicated paper hole punch. So, I use my rifles to put meat on the table.

I ususally take a doe or two with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lord Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who use your precision rigs, are you humping your rifle out or are you taking motorized transport? I may head to Texas at some point and would like to use my Sendero in an actual sendero. For local hunting, hiking up a mountain precludes carrying a long, heavy rifle, so I use an M4 style AR in 6.8 SPC.

jim </div></div>

Jim,

In short,

Yes I carry the heavy guns,

Actually I run both lightweight and heavy precision guns where I hunt, which is typical northern Rockies type terrain.

LostRiverRangeOct08027-1.jpg

092.jpg

GardenValleyMarch05052.jpg

082-1.jpg

I don't hunt. After 28 years in the Corps. I just shoot paper anymore.

I don't hunt anything that can't hunt back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hunting. i dont mind carrying my heavy AI. 700 remys because im am confident that im goin to hit what im shooting at. only hangups are the old timers at hunting camp that call me a sniper when i pull out my rifles
</div></div>

Tell them you're not a "sniper", just a shot placement expert.

IMAG0658.jpg

At the last light yesterday I took this yearling roe,

105 A-max, bullet struck across the top of the heart.

I love to use the rifles that I trust and handle all the time to go hunting with.

/Chris