• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many on Hide use their precision rifle for...

Re: How many on Hide use their precision rifle for...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hunting. i dont mind carrying my heavy AI. 700 remys because im am confident that im goin to hit what im shooting at. only hangups are the old timers at hunting camp that call me a sniper when i pull out my rifles
</div></div>

This is exactly why I take my 30.06 instead of my 5R 308. My Dad gave me a good hunting rifle that I had tuned up to an absolute tack driver. It never gets a second look or comment from a ranch manager or more importantly a Game Warden.

IMG_2938.JPG

That said, the owner of the place I went last winter was kinda bummed I didn't bring my 5R. He had a stand setup with shots between 400 & 600. If I go back there this year I'm bringing it and setting up for a longer shot.

Both, I hate having rifles that haven't taken an animal. I have 2 that need to shoot deer, so I hunt with them now, both are heavy guns. It may change where I set up, but that's OK, it add diversity to a hunt.

C_K

i am so envious of you guy that can hunt deer with a centerfire cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rommel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't hunt. After 28 years in the Corps. I just shoot paper anymore.

I don't hunt anything that can't hunt back. </div></div>

I used to feel the same way Master Guns. After I got out of the Corps I went hunting with an old hunting buddy and found no challenge or satisfaction in shooting something that could not shoot back. It took me 15 years to want to hunt again and now it's more about sneaking around the mountains and being alone than shooting an elk or deer.
Semper Fi,
Rob

I don't hunt, mainly because there's nowhere TO hunt where i live, and even if there was, i can't afford it till i finish my degree. So currently my Precision rifle is for killing paper and for that inevitable Zombie Apocalypse...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
momsantelope020.jpg

We do.... </div></div>I like how your kill is smiling too. Lmao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am so envious of you guy that can hunt deer with a centerfire cartridge. </div></div>

So can you...44Mag, 357Mag...of, if you want a real rifle cartridge, get a 358 BFG.

I use my anschutz 54 supermatch for bunnies, an omark 44 and a fairly modified 5r milspec all for hunting in certain circumstances generally a situation where it's either flat so I'm not luggin them up and down hills or I can set up to shoot otherwise I'll grab something a bit lighter that I don't mind carrying but walking all day with something heavy sucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am so envious of you guy that can hunt deer with a centerfire cartridge. </div></div>
That's all that can be used in aust basically .270 or bigger apart from a couple of smaller species where .243 is the minimum

I have used it now for antelope hunting, and I used it all weekend for a coyote calling contest. Why not use the gun you practice with at the range in the field? I have my elevation dialed in from the range and I used it all weekend with great success. Every time a coyote was 300+ yards, a quick spin of the top turret 12 clicks would put me right where I needed to be. It is heavy, but I dont mind it that much. I'm hooked on using my precision rig now for hunting. The coyote second from the right below I hit in right eye aiming at his head from 375 yards.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

I killed a few does and a coyote last winter, hoping for some more coyotes this year. They are THICK around here.

Thats all I have and all I use..........for everything

I use my GAP 308 for deer most of the time if hunting from an elevated box stand.

Coach

I'm going to have to start getting into hunting, some of these pics really give me the inspiration.

I only have 1 rifle, and it's get's used for everything.

Spent $3300 on a custom 260. Threw a $1300 Nightforce on top of it. Target shoot, Match shoot,Varmint hunt,have laid inthe mud and rain to get a great whitetail and even argued with my wife about it! If you got one use and enjoy it!

One rifle... be all, do all. That's the way I like it!!

DK

Use it on steel/paper/and hide. If it's too heavy, hit the weights.

Well since my neighbors frown upon me sniping them, then I use my nice guns for shootin stuff like paper and animals. No safe queens here!

I plan to hunt with mine this year. Can't really tout the bells and whistles that others can but it's a Remington 700 Varmint .308 with a McMillan HTG Forest Camo stock and a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF with 20 MOA base.

m40a1-2.jpg

No safe queens. I will take anything hunting. I try to have at least one kill with every gun I own. Kind of a break-in procedure. I took a deer at 485 with the ftr competition rifle. I would love a 800 yard kill with the new build.
I do a lot of paper hunting too though

I use mine for paper mostly but also will get them bloody from time to time!

for what a newbs opinion is worth....i only own 2 guns an ai aw 338lm and a glock 21 (45acp) might one day get a nice semi auto shot gun but im a buy one of whatever you want but make the absolute best you can afford....i wasted my entire bank account on my rifle...cant afford to not hunt with it lol :p

going out for bear season tomorrow

Might want to look at AI's extra barrel lineup for your AI AW.
Not like there's a great deal of options unless you buy a .473" or .532" bolt body, but the Lazzeroni Patriot is a shorty .308 that is very versatile. Then there are the .338 Norma wildcats to look at.

Maybe you can load a cast .338 bullet in your Lapua Mag, but the case is so large, the detonation risk is likely very real...

I've been shooting a 290gr cast bullet in my .340wby TRG-S. Pretty nice, but capacity is moderate compared to your Lapua.

Cast bullets are a real option to expand your versatility if you only own one rifle...

This little piggy won the Fort Tejon Pig-O-Rama in 2001. I took him with a 350yrd head shot with my tactical 300WM.
Wild_Boar.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Before</span>
387650_2205403256356_1285620147_31871975_1007800152_n.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">After</span>
375462_2205407616465_1285620147_31871976_1944084489_n.jpg

Shot that big sucker at 253yds with a 175gr berger BT LR right at the top of the neck...he didn't move an inch. Not bad for a target rounds
wink.gif
whish he would've been further 253yds to everyone on here for an animal that big is a chip shot haha. Right at 1.2 mils figured it would be a little high which it was but i think it worked in my favor.

FN SPR A3g S&B PM-II 3-12 MTC GEN II.

First buck. Last week. I refused to buy a deer rifle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards,
Greyson

Thank you. Kind of a new endeavor for me. It was my second deer ever. My first was a doe 3 days prior after hunting for...40 minutes! After field dress, it came in at 120lbs. Since that was my first deer, I really didn't have an understanding as to how large of a doe it really was.

Here she is:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards,
Greyson

308 Gap, 5-25 S&B P4f

Shot this 200 pound buck last sunday here in Oklahoma

25hzdxx.jpg

I use target/comp mostly as training for hunting. Improves confidence and quickness at shorter ranges, and accuracy at longer ones. That way I can think more about the non-shooting part of hunting. Yes, I only carry heavy rifles.

On a side note, I find it very odd that some individuals find hunting boring if the game doesn't shoot back. (Presumably these same individuals who are provided with forward artillery and/or air support, and all sorts of government gear and logistics systems...)

If you don't think a half ton of elk charging 40mph downhill at you from a dozen yards with a full head of sharp horns means anything, or if turning around to find a black bear charging at the same speed doesn't register in your mind then you're not all there. Pound for pound wild animals are 3 times stronger and quicker than any man. Hearing and smell is 10 times better. If you never thought about a big cat dropping out of the trees when checking out a deer trail, or don't look up every few seconds for grizz while gutting game then you probably don't have a real appreciation for what can go on out there. Or at least here.

I'll let ya'll in on a cop secret....

I use mine to stack donuts on the barrel. Obviously I like longer barrels.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used it now for antelope hunting, and I used it all weekend for a coyote calling contest. Why not use the gun you practice with at the range in the field? I have my elevation dialed in from the range and I used it all weekend with great success. Every time a coyote was 300+ yards, a quick spin of the top turret 12 clicks would put me right where I needed to be. It is heavy, but I dont mind it that much. I'm hooked on using my precision rig now for hunting. The coyote second from the right below I hit in right eye aiming at his head from 375 yards.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg
</div></div>

P.S. Nice rifle.

Regards,
Greyson

i purchased my AI just to look cool....but mostly to kill zeds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used it now for antelope hunting, and I used it all weekend for a coyote calling contest. Why not use the gun you practice with at the range in the field? I have my elevation dialed in from the range and I used it all weekend with great success. Every time a coyote was 300+ yards, a quick spin of the top turret 12 clicks would put me right where I needed to be. It is heavy, but I dont mind it that much. I'm hooked on using my precision rig now for hunting. The coyote second from the right below I hit in right eye aiming at his head from 375 yards.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg
</div></div>

Nice kill...The second yote on the left is a little bug eyed. Just a little strange looking..

I'm in the process of building my first Long range rig and was wondering that same thing. I'm glad I got to read so many great stories. Now I know the answer. Thanks everyone!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lord Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who use your precision rigs, are you humping your rifle out or are you taking motorized transport? I may head to Texas at some point and would like to use my Sendero in an actual sendero. For local hunting, hiking up a mountain precludes carrying a long, heavy rifle, so I use an M4 style AR in 6.8 SPC.

jim </div></div>

Jim,

In short,

Yes I carry the heavy guns,

Actually I run both lightweight and heavy precision guns where I hunt, which is typical northern Rockies type terrain.

LostRiverRangeOct08027-1.jpg

092.jpg

GardenValleyMarch05052.jpg

082-1.jpg
</div></div>

Is the top picture looking down on Pete's creek?