• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition How many pieces of brass...

scissorhands

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
Might be a silly question, but I was just wondering how many cases you load for a single rifle. I currently am just reloading the same 90 Hornady cases for the .308. How much brass is in your rotation?

Re: How many pieces of brass...

Usually about 500 pcs per barrel per caliber. A Friday-Saturday-Sunday Palma match with a team component usually needs at least 200-210, and we have a couple back-to-back events up here during the season... i.e. Thursday practice, Fri-Sat-Sun individual match with team stage on Monday, Thursday practice at another near-by range followed by another Fri/Sat/Sun individuals w/ a team stage each day, and some days have an 'extra' individual 20rd w/ unlimited sighters stage @ 1k. 450-500 is just enough to get through without having to scurry and load like made in between those events. The rest of the time... it lets me load once every couple months and just worry about shooting in between.

I run 200 for each barrel. I don't have any 3 day matches up here. It usually lets me shoot a match or two on each pipe. Once my 200 is out, time to clean the barrel too. Each person has a difference of opinion on that too but it's how i keep track.

Not much different. I start with a batch of 300 for each load, i.e. 300 for my 500/600 yard load and 300 for the 1000 yard load. I do the same for each caliber. I try to time it to reload the entire batch at the same time if possible. This doesn't always (in fact, seldom) work and it does get complicated when a two day match comes up and I have to change from say reload #4 to reload #5 in the middle of a match. I have many small boxes, two for each batch, labled with caliber, powder/bullet weight and reload number to help keep it straight! Good luck with the system you work out.

Our semimonthly FV250 events use 40 rounds for score, with unlimited sighters. I typically load 50 rounds for a match. I will shoot any unused rounds into my sighter bull, so the batch of brass all has the same firing count.

I will sometimes bring an extra 50 rounds in case a novice is ready to step up and use my gun to gain their initial experience.

I add a batch of 50 new cases each season, and retire batches as their performance degrades. Retirement means relegation to non-score shooting applications. My brass seldom qualifies as 'shot out'.

I use Lapua 6mmBR brass for my modified Savage FV250 rifle, necked up to .30BRr.

Greg

I also have 500 pieces of brass from the same lot of Lapua in my rotation. I start a new rotation with each new barrel.

i was rotating 250 but since i started shooting more matches i've add another 100 to cover .