• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How many power lineman hang around this site?

Re: How many power lineman hang around this site?

Class B lineman, mainly telecommunications work. I've been waiting on an apprenticeship through the union for almost 2 years. I got tired of waiting and signed on with the railroad.

I'm not a lineman but I am a Substation Operator for so cal Edison my AOR has 4kV up to 220kv.

Splicer here and have done some work as lineman back is the day for Pac Bell as a contractor. Some power line work back in the 1980's. Got my contractors liscense in 2000 and bid and work splicing telecom on both regulated and unregulated sides of the fence.

@ A8james..How many subs you guys take care of?

@ livetohunt..Coop, Private investor or someplace else?

I was a Distribution lineman for a coop in eastern SD for 12 yrs. and got the opportunity to go to work for a sub-transmission coop in the same area. I've been a relay tech with them for 2.5 yrs. Primarily 69 and 115 with a little 235kv sprinkled in.

Not familiar with AA or B bank. Is that capacity, voltage or what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not familiar with AA or B bank. Is that capacity, voltage or what? </div></div>

Ya it's basically the main transformer rating at the station AA are big banks 220kv down to 66kv and B banks are 66kv to 16kv or 4kv

LOL I spent some time doing some line work for a while between Afghan contracts. The bucket trucks scared the shit out of me though.
smile.gif
Figured I would stick to basic electrical work but have over 250 Pad transformers under my belt up to 35kva. I know its small time compared to the pro's with the HV shit though.

I hold my journymans in 3 states. But right now im working as the chief electronics tec officer on my ship

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hold my journymans in 3 states. But right now im working as the chief electronics tec officer on my ship </div></div>

Hopefully they are good states.....

I went through the trouble of getting my first J-mans license in TX, What a waste.... Luckily OK gave me one and I have been able to recipricate that one to a few places. They need to make it just one license for the entire US. I have my NCCER and its come in handy a few places.

Seen a show called tougher in alaska where they were covering some linemen up there. Those boys have a shitty job in the winter time....

im an apprentice at a coop in ohio. pretty fun job if you arent afraid of heights
grin.gif

Became max lineman 3 years ago. Work all over wisconsin and michigan. Mainly distribution, some transmission when required.

Worked for a Coop.Started out on a crew (new construction)underground and overhead.When I retired I was working as Trouble shooter covering 11 counties.I can honestly say I dont miss it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious how many of us are here, I know there's a few. </div></div>

My fathers a rural lineman

Power distribution engineer here. Linemen are great. They build the crazy shit I dream up.

Retired after 36 yrs. Started as a Grunt, app L/S , J L/S Foreman and retired. All at socal edison, 28yo son is a J L/S for the same company.

I just retired after 41ytrs,34 of those at gulf power co, here in nw fla,Was on disaster response team all 34yrs and compt in linemans rodeo96,97,98,came in 3rd in 98.Now all I got is two artifical hips,and one artifisal knee,can't spell and very small retirement.I'm moving to kalispel MT. 3/15/12, Im tired of being hot.Draegon Codsaque

Back in the 1960's, I was an Electric Traction Electrician with the Pennsylvania Railroad, working out of Penn Station, Newark NJ. We handled maintenance and repair for the overhead wire between LIRR/Pennsy Sunnyside Yard and Langhorn, PA.

Signal was 6600V, Catenary was 11000V and transmission was 66000V. Third rail was 440VDC, no safety covers in the yards. Worked in tunnels under the Hudson and East Rivers, and on the Newark Bay Bridge, 495ft up. Once you get more than 30ft up, it's all potentially lethal.

From there, I became an 1141 Engineer Electrician, USMC. All varieties of power distribution wiring and pole line construction, with generator operation and maintenance from 5KW beach illumination to 100KW Stationary Cummins. Worked on down to wiring individual hooches, mess halls, shops and the 3rd MarDiv HQ compound. My own facility was four 60KW trailer mounted generator sets running in tandem at 11th Engr. Bn. HQ in Dong Ha. Voltages up to 440VAC, plus 600Hz Commo power generation. There were 22 of us and we were responsible for much of the power in Northern I Corps, from Cua Viet to Khe Sanh.

Left the Corps in '68, and never worked on power again, I was 21

Greg

Last edited:
I'm a lineman for the phone company. I know it's not all the way at the top of the pole, kinda close. My brother is a lineman for the power company. I've been doing it for about 17 yrs, he's at about 12 yrs. We work same area, but rarely work on the same job site. Once in a while we'll show up at a broken pole together, kinda cool when that happens.

FIREMANNEEDHEROS.jpg

I've seen this twice now on the back of trucks here in SoCal, and I had to laugh and send a picture to my BiL as he is a FF with LA. I'm an Inside Wireman App. in OC, but I've been out of work for ~6 months now. I breakout this summer, and then it looks like I'll be traveling to find work, I have thought of joining Lineman before, but I'm not sure I want to play with 4K+ on the regular...

View attachment 33991

I've seen this twice now on the back of trucks here in SoCal, and I had to laugh and send a picture to my BiL as he is a FF with LA. I'm an Inside Wireman App. in OC, but I've been out of work for ~6 months now. I breakout this summer, and then it looks like I'll be traveling to find work, I have thought of joining Lineman before, but I'm not sure I want to play with 4K+ on the regular...

Go for it! Pretty safe industry as whole if you use proper PPE and follow safe work practices.
amysaze7.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to be.... Contractor on the west coast then was in house at a coop in Texas, now in house at a nuke plant in Texas.

Just curious but how does one go about getting into the trade? Must be tough.

Depends where your at. Texas the union is weak and you can usually get into the Coop's just have to keep hitting the job openings. In a union area you pretty much need to go to the union hall.

I am in southern California, so I guess the union halls would be the place. Is their a directory for union halls in the different areas?

Around here you start by going to a one or two year technical school that offers the power line program. Then you hope to get a job somewhere close to where you want to live. Then you just need to show up with a good attitude and a willingness to learn, as most will be taught on the job. If you've got a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to get through the apprenticeship program in 4 years. Once you pass all your apprenticeship test and have logged enough hours and those that work with you think you're ready, you become a journeyman lineman.

here in co. all co-ops require you go to line school. usually one to two years long. after that you can start applying for an apprentiship with a company. if you get hired you work as an apprentice for 4 years and then test to become a journeyman. . .

I am in southern California, so I guess the union halls would be the place. Is their a directory for union halls in the different areas?

it depends on what you want to get your feet wet with most places in so cal you will start off as a grunt and then go from there if u want to know exactly how to get in that field pm me ill tell u all u will need to know

it depends on what you want to get your feet wet with most places in so cal you will start off as a grunt and then go from there if u want to know exactly how to get in that field pm me ill tell u all u will need to know

PM sent

Last edited:
Depends where your at. Texas the union is weak and you can usually get into the Coop's just have to keep hitting the job openings. In a union area you pretty much need to go to the union hall.

Just curious but how does one go about getting into the trade? Must be tough.

30cal all the ibew unions have websites on lacal leval. Most have thier jatc training apprentice info on the sites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Currently working for Kansas City Power and Light local 1464. Was a Local 2 guy for Ameren around the St. Louis area for 7 years or so. Some days it's the best job in the world. Some days it's not. :)

31-1/2 years with Duke Energy in the Carolinas. Started in '68, retired in '99. All training was OJT for me. Glad I did it, wouldn't do it again! too many long cold & wet nights, stumbling around in the dark. best period was when I was lead man on High Ranger bucket. We got all the broke poles and transfers no one else wanted. Really had to watch your ass. Not many chances for second mistakes. Fun working 24kv in a rain storm. we worked everything "hot", especially in emergency situations. Wouldn't take anything for the experience, but would'nt want to do it again.

Class A lineman for baltimore gas and electric. Best job in the world. Only thing i hate is my drive. Would love to get closer to home and work for first energy. Anyone know any ins? Because they never have postings for lineman to come on board.

I was while in college (great way to pay for school). Now I'm a consultant and site and design them all over the nation. 115kV-500kV (AC & DC).

Bumping this thread, just got picked up as an IBEW Lineman apprentice, have orientation Saturday down in Albuquerque, beyond blessed and can't wait to start work!

Used to be.... Mostly contract work on West coast then got in a coop, then Got a job as inside electrician at a nuke, finished my engineering degree, off to design engineering after the next refueling outage.