• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how many reloads?

With good brass, annealing and staying away from hot loads, i figure at least 6-8. Others may have more experienced with this caliber

In early '06, I started with 20 new Norma cases and 80 new Lapua cases. After two cycles, I had a neck split on a Norma and last year, I stuck a Lapua case in a kinetic puller and had to wrench it out, ruining it.

My 80 Lapua cases have between 11-13 cycles on them and are still going strong, with most of the primer pockets being firm, but a few are loosening up a bit. The remaining Norma cases have between 8-9 cycles on them.

Chris

My round count out of the rifle now is 2300

All Lapua brass – ranging from a few yet at 8 and 10 but the majority at 11 reloads
Ran hard – Hot
Full length sized, with tight neck tension
Annealed every reload
Always ran 300 grain Scenars
Always ran H1000

I do have some primer pockets getting loose do to being on the edge and age.

The key is good brass and annealing to keep the necks from getting brittle and consistency in neck tension for repeatable long range accuracy

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

what is the best way to anneal, and would i do the annealing before or after the resizing?

i am assuming before

i wish i had neck sizing dies.... i think it would be much easier on the brass

I always anneal after resizing. If you do it before, you're just work hardening the metal again when you size it. I use a little butane torch from the hardware store and a socket chucked in a drill (13mm for .308 win) spin it and place the neck in the flame till it just starts to turn a bluish hue.