• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds of .223 produced in a day?

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
I find it hard to believe that .223 ammo is in short supply? We've got federal, Remington, Lake city, PMC, and how many others who should be capable of all producing millions of rounds of ammo a day right. Where the hell is all this ammo going?

Re: How many rounds of .223 produced in a day?

Don't want to crank up production just to have the panic, or whatever, pass and be left with warehouses full of ammo and/or components that barely move at minimum margins, or can't.

Not trying to feed into it all. I've talked to three large retailers who said manufacturers told them they wouldn't be seeing ANY 223 until May. I don't see how that's possible.

I'm making about 400 rds myself tonight. The problem with buying ammo is that you never know when this kinda thing can happen and you need to keep a good stock of it at home. It's cheaper to buy the components and make it yourself. Of course all the reloading stuff is gone now too. My suggestion is start reloading ASAP and stay stocked up well. Don't get caught empty handed when the time comes.

Just saw this as of today:

DHS buys 200,00 more rounds of ammunition From the link:

"While the Obama administration sets out to eviscerate the gun rights of American citizens in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, earlier this week it was announced that the Department of Homeland Security has awarded a company a contract worth over $45,000 dollars to provide the DHS with 200,000 more rounds of bullets.

This new purchase adds to the staggering figure of 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition already secured by the DHS over the last 9 months alone."

I guess they are preparing for something...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw this as of today:

"While the Obama administration sets out to eviscerate the gun rights of American citizens in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, earlier this week it was announced that the Department of Homeland Security has awarded a company a contract worth over $45,000 dollars to provide the DHS with 200,000 more rounds of bullets.

This new purchase adds to the staggering figure of 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition already secured by the DHS over the last 9 months alone."

I guess they are preparing for something... </div></div>

Well, I don't know what to read into their purchase figures. I'm not sure how many armed personnel work under the DHS banner these days, but I will say that my department burns through an absolutely staggering amount of ammunition each year between training, qualification, replacing old duty ammo, etc. We buy our ammo by the millions of rounds at a time, and only on a year-to-year basis. The Department of Homeland Security banner now covers everything from Border Patrol to the Secret Service as I understand it, including many other agencies within our government (and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center).

To me it doesn't necessarily seem outlandish to believe that they would buy 1.6 Billion rounds of ammunition (at least not without more facts), or that they'd increase their order by 200,000 rounds.

The Coast Guard is under DHS. They do train. Just saying.

Reloading is a must, especially during hard times like these. I have access to a training range and collect all the 5.56 and 9mm brass that I can haul. I also do my rounds at public ranges and notice that a lot more people are picking up their brass these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw this as of today:

.20 a piece

If only there was 223 out there for us at .20 a piece, is close to $1!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coloradocop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw this as of today:

Well, I don't know what to read into their purchase figures. I'm not sure how many armed personnel work under the DHS banner these days, but I will say that my department burns through an absolutely staggering amount of ammunition each year between training, qualification, replacing old duty ammo, etc. We buy our ammo by the millions of rounds at a time, and only on a year-to-year basis. The Department of Homeland Security banner now covers everything from Border Patrol to the Secret Service as I understand it, including many other agencies within our government (and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center).

To me it doesn't necessarily seem outlandish to believe that they would buy 1.6 Billion rounds of ammunition (at least not without more facts), or that they'd increase their order by 200,000 rounds. </div></div>

My understanding is the Gov't is buying into a fixed price on that production of ammo. They don't get all of it shipped at one time an warehoused. They're purchasing at a fixed guaranteed price, probably because 1) they thought the price would go up and 2) they need ammo for training all of the agencies that fall under DHS.

It's no different than purchasing oil or petroleum products when the prices are low in large quantities for x number of months or years, to offset the potential for higher future costs over time.