• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds per year do you fire?

Northman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2005
Im wondering whats the typical number of rounds you shoot per session or per year?

How much does one need to be proficiant?

Would be great if some of the really top marksmen on this board would reply.

Re: How many rounds per year do you fire?

i shoot about 175-200 round of 308 each time i make it out shooting witch is once or twice a month
plus 22's and what ever else i bring

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Would be great if some of the really top marksmen on this board would reply."</span>

Well, that rules me out......
sick.gif

Many matches range from 60-100 rounds, so you will burn at least that many in a day, more with checking zero and conditions, foulin shots, etc. How much one tends to shoot yearly will drasticaly change from one shooter to the next, but I would say for myself, around 1500-2k per year in just precsion rifle rounds, when I have the time.

Kirk R

I don't get to shoot that often, so around 200 rounds.

BTW, I'm in no way considered or consider myself an expert marksman.

Just a hunter who wishes he could shoot better and more often.

I am around 2000 a year in various firearms. Not near enough for my liking. Just cost to dang much now.

Brian

4-6K .223
1-2k .308
3-4K various pistol
And soon to add 7WSM but not sure how much per year.

It is possible to shoot too many rounds per range session: After about 60 rounds I find I'm just 'blasting' ammo and wasting money. I can't concentrate for more than about 60 good shots a day, and that takes plenty of work.

Live fire just confirms what you do dry. So, I dry fire a lot during live fire practice sessions. Then I fire live to confirm that I am practicing properly.

To answer your question: about 950 rounds per year, per rifle.
(unless it's a magnum, then it's fine just sitting in the safe)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">It is possible to shoot too many rounds per range session: After about 60 rounds I find I'm just 'blasting' ammo and wasting money.</span> I can't concentrate for more than about 60 good shots a day, and that takes plenty of work.

Live fire just confirms what you do dry. So, I dry fire a lot during live fire practice sessions. Then I fire live to confirm that I am practicing properly.

To answer your question: about 950 rounds pr year, per rifle. </div></div>

I agree with this, but thats when I stop shooting groups and start ringing steel
laugh.gif

was processing brass this weekend
800 .260 6 months
2500-3000 .308 (1 year)
1500-2000 .223
still have not processed larger brass or pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is possible to shoot too many rounds per range session: After about 60 rounds I find I'm just 'blasting' ammo and wasting money. I can't concentrate for more than about 60 good shots a day, and that takes plenty of work.

To answer your question: about 950 rounds per year, per rifle.
(unless it's a magnum, then it's fine just sitting in the safe) </div></div>

With comps having 150-200 rounds in two days....it climbs quickly.

Since I started taking classes I am shooting 1-2k+ a year in both handgun and rifle.

Don't buy that next gun or high end scope, take a class on how to use what you have already. I feel like a moron for not doing it sooner.

Although crippled-being retired does have its advantages. Last year not much due to another surgery but 2008:

50BMG: 975rounds
338LM: 820 rounds
308: 1760
9mm/45acp/40s&w: Approx. 1200
Off to a slow start 2010. 120: 338LM.

Minimum range:200/300 yards with trips (2 1/2hours) to the 1000yd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does one need to be proficiant? </div></div>

Quality over quantity.

1000 rounds spent at a high quality school will do you far more good that 1000 rounds "shootin' groups" on sunny afternoons.

I probably shoot 3000-4000 .308 a year. I can't tell you how much .22LR, .223 and .45ACP. I am proficient, but I learn more every year.

After 2k rounds/year, what if any parts should be replaced on a rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not enough! </div></div>
Same here, shamefully...

5.56mm NATO, 200-500 each range session, so that works out to about 5,000 per year.

.499LWR, about 2,000 per year

.22LR, about 5,000 per year, .357 Mag., .45ACP, .44 Mag. about 3,000 per year.

Well between April and oct. Of last year I shot 2350 45acp and 634 308 for the year. I only have a 100 yd range at the moment. So shooting the 308 can get boring from the bench. ( state run range).

Thank god for my 550b. For the 45.

But like others have said not enough. I havnt shot much in the last couple months due to shoulder injuries and weather and being of of bullets for the 45. Need to place another order

All of the sudden my income feels highly inadequate. Oh well who needs financial security anyway? I've got to practice!

My pre-marriage ammo budget allowed me to fire 500 rounds of .45acp, 500-1000 rounds of centerfire rifle, and shoot 5 rounds of skeet or a full course of sporting clays every week.

Post-marriage ammo budget is about 1/5th of that. My wife would come unfreakinglued if I were to keep up my old pace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pre-marriage ammo budget allowed me to fire 500 rounds of .45acp, 500-1000 rounds of centerfire rifle, and shoot 5 rounds of skeet or a full course of sporting clays every week.

Post-marriage ammo budget is about 1/5th of that. My wife would come unfreakinglued if I were to keep up my old pace. </div></div>

pretty much the same deal for me.... we live and we learn....haha

2K+ Precision Rifle rds per year.

My poor pistolas and black rifles feel a lil neglected....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After 2k rounds/year, what if any parts should be replaced on a rifle? </div></div>

Depends on what platform, caliber and environment.

A .308 M700 on a sunny range will go many moons without replacement parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillyLo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't buy that next gun or high end scope, take a class on how to use what you have already. </div></div>

+1 on that.

It took me a few classes to figure out which handgun I was going to settle on and since then I've spent every 'handgun dollar' on ammo and training. Hope to do the same thing with rifle, taking a few classes, picking something and then learning to use it well.

To answer the original question though, in an average year:

0-4000 .45 handgun (depends on the number of classes, last year though I fired exactly 0 rounds out of a handgun, sorta lost interest)
300 precision rifle
250 .17 HMR
200 shotgun (clays and birds)

With the classes I'm hoping the precision rifle count goes to 1k+
smile.gif

1000+ or - 308 in 2010 so far. I'll let you know at the end of the year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.56mm NATO, 200-500 each range session, so that works out to about 5,000 per year.

<span style="font-weight: bold">.499LWR, about 2,000 per year</span>

.22LR, about 5,000 per year, .357 Mag., .45ACP, .44 Mag. about 3,000 per year. </div></div>

eek.gif

So far 984 rounds since July -09 with my .308 AW, perhaps 500 .22LR, 100 hunting rounds through various rifles, 300 shotgun, 300 9mm, 150 .38 spl, 50 .45ACP and 150 airgun pellets(!).

All in all I'd say I've shot 2300-2600 rounds over the last 6 months, totalling around 5k/year - damn, that makes me a bit proud!
wink.gif

Last year it was aprox around 150,000 7.62mm, 20,000 5.56mm, 150 .338lap, 200 .50bmg, 300 6.5x47mm, 600 .222, 12 84mm, 6 40mm, 2000 9mm, 600 .17hmr, 20 .30-30, 100 6.5x55mm, 200 .22, 120 .22-250 and 10 12g. Got to love it when the ADF pays you to shoot heaps but kind of sux when its like 30,000rds of 7.62mm in 38hrs, give you one hell of a headache.

I shoot probably 1500-2000 boltgun CF rds/yr. Pistol and carbine I only shoot enough to be dangerous (to the intended target that is), but would definately like to up those skills.

Under budget constraints of the current economy, and emotional considerations of marriage I am forced to choose which modality gets the most attention.
Luckily there are monthly precision rifle matches here, so that's where my focus lies, and my second love is smallbore silhouette.
I will soon have to shift attentions, as I just got cert'd as a NRA Pistol and PPiH instructor and will be soon teaching CCW courses.

If you are just having fun you will shoot X amount. If you are competing in competitions X++++. If you are on a shooting team for the military? Have fun while you can it only a matter of time before the boss takes it all away.

about 800 or 1000 of .308 and around 500 out of my ar15.
my .45 i would have to guess around 2500 or so. my wife, shot around 500 rounds out of her taurus last year.

.22's in the pistol and rifle (both are extensively used for training and drills to save money over centerfire) I ran through 2 full cases in 2009

Centerfire revolvers ~ 2000
Centerfire autoloaders ~ 2500

Centerfire rifles ~ 2000 of everything combined both bolt action and the AR-15

6400+ 9mm, 2500= 22LR, 202 .308, 150+ 12GA, 3000? .50 BMG, and 86+ 120 MM APFSDS. The 120MM APFSDS is by far my most accurate long range round has a touch more knockdown at distance
whistle.gif

Deployed as Mech Inf. Before and after never trained with the heavy rounds. The trainers will kill anything short of an 82 anyway. Forgot to mention 6 Javelin for schnitzengigles.

The new 120mm HV sabots are still humming along at a mile a second at a distance of one mile.
They pack a ridiculous punch.

Hello,

25,000 give or take in various forms. I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds of rimfire per day through the 'scoped rifle, several hundred 7.62 rounds per year (enough to stay proficient and confirm zero on the rifle), and several thousand .45acp from the 1911 and Camp Carbine.

I was surprised at this number as well. I gave up smoking four years ago, started putting my cigarette money into guns, and I guess this is what happens. :shrug:

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">0-4000 .45 handgun (depends on the number of classes, last year though I fired exactly 0 rounds out of a handgun, sorta lost interest)
</div></div>

Kinda sucks living in a "May Issue" state, huh?
frown.gif

Given the cost of match grade ammunition at the present, last year I shot exactly 20 rounds of match .308, about 50 rounds of Port surplus 7.62x51, around 500 rounds of 5.56, and about 1500-2000 of pistol. I've got my CCW in August of '08, and seeing as how I seem to have a handgun around me 95% of the time, I devoted more time and attention towards mastery of that particular firearm. I'm a LONG ways from mastering anything, though, which is why I'm still at it.

Trying to complete an "SPR" type AR so I can work on short to medium rifle skills (600m or so), since .223 is almost half the cost of .308 match stuff, and then I'm going to get a Viper PST to replace my Leupy I think. Once those purchases are complete, all money will go towards ammo and maintenance supplies. I should have almost 700 rounds of match .308 soon, looking to save funds for a 1k case of .223. I need to get into a few rifle classes, too!

If I'm lucky...maybe 1,000 rounds of rifle per year.

That's about 20-60 at a practice session and from 150-200 at a rifle match.

I wish I had the time to double it at least.

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im wondering whats the typical number of rounds you shoot per session or per year?

How much does one need to be proficiant?

Would be great if some of the really top marksmen on this board would reply. </div></div>

Northman,

I'm not a top marksman but do I have some advice.

IMO...Proficiency has more to do with development of a proper shooting "form" that is duplicated for every shot.So in other words blowing large amounts of rounds downrange doesn't necessarily mean you will become a better shot.You could very well be solidifying bad habits instead.

High quality pre charged air rifles are probably the best tool for developing good form.
Air guns teach you to "follow through" on the shot because the pellet is going much slower typically than a firearm and thus the pellet stays in the barrel longer enhancing mistakes.This "forces" you to observe good form or you will be doing allot of missing.
Airguns also help expose what you are doing wrong during the shot,especially flinching from fear of noise or recoil.
Pellets also blow in the wind allot!They really do aid in wind estimation and are surprisingly similar to shooting centerfire when targets and distance are scaled correctly.

I shoot about 15,000 rounds a year between all my guns=rifle,pistol,shotgun,22's and air rifle.I shoot 2-3 times a week sometimes more.Any more than that it starts loosing it's fun.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">0-4000 .45 handgun (depends on the number of classes, last year though I fired exactly 0 rounds out of a handgun, sorta lost interest)
</div></div>

Kinda sucks living in a "May Issue" state, huh?
frown.gif
</div></div>

That's part of it, yea. I'm no politician, I don't qualify for CCW.
frown.gif

The other part is that you can't really practice correctly at the local ranges. One of my instructors said that going to the range and shooting the way they let you shoot isn't training, it's masturbating with guns. No holster work, no movement, no positions, no 'speed loading' as they call it, 1 shot every 3 seconds max, no flashlights, etc, etc. I'm not convinced it's worth throwing ammo down range at that point.

I shoot about 1000-.22, 200 handgun, 600 rifle, and 25,000 to 30,000 shotgun. I seem to be a decent with a rifle. I am much better with a shotgun.

Approx:
1,000 .223
2,000 .243-.338LM
500 .40/.45
2,000 .22