• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much brass for new rifle?

datguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
WA state
Have a new rifle on its way. Going to buy Lapua brass and got to thinking about how much should I buy?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm putting together a .260 and bought 300 rounds (OTM sponser on here was the cheapest and delivered fast) I figured that by the time I had 10 reloads on it I'd be changing barrels. If annealed 300 rounds would probably go through a couple of barrels. I bought 200 rounds for my sons .260 but that doesn't seem like enough some times. It's rare that you've got all your brass loaded at one time and I can easily run through 200 rounds in a day.

When I got my AIAW I bought 500 308 Lapua Brass. Forgot to add I have over a thousand, all sorted by manufacture, of other pieces of LC, WW, Remington and Federal brass for non match shooting.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how you intend to use the rifle, no?

If it's just hunting or a local match, that's one thing (100-150rds max). If it is a formal mulit-day match that's another (minimum 300, possibly more).

JMTCW...

300 is a good number, enough to shoot and have a sealed box for a rainy day. With the way brass and bullets are, you can always use it to as trade fodder later. Would also work up another headstamp, be it RP, Winchester or LC if you have a 308. Just that these can be found on the cheap and once fired.

For target practice and informal range use, 200-300 is plenty; you'll rarely lose them.

For PRS-type matches, expect to lose ~10-20% each match. That means you'll lose between 50 and 150 pieces per year if you shoot 4 matches... in which case, owning only 300 pieces is cutting it pretty close.

Buy enough components to kill the barrel. Figure 500 to 1000 cases. Depends on how hot you load, how much you'll shoot between reloading, etc. I tend to prep brass in lots of 500 plus a few since bullets are in boxes of 500 and a few. I also keep 300 rounds on hand for match weekends.

Edit: Figure 3000 to 5000 rounds for barrel life.

For a .308Win, 500pcs for the life of the barrel. If you intend on shooting matches where brass is sometimes lost, then a couple hundred more.

308 - I would say 200 to start and build to 400 or 500 hundred. Every time I go all in and buy a bunch I find the same brass on sale the next week so I say 200 at a minimum to start.

Found 10% off Lapua brass at E. Arthur Brown Company, Inc. Ended up paying $65/100 after shipping. I bought 700. Should be good to go for the life of the barrel!