• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How much camming is needed?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
I picked up a new SPS last week and finally got around to stripping it down and truing the action. I did not even really clean up the lug abutments and did not have to touch the bolt lugs at all other than lapping. When I got through I realized that the bolt handle pretty far away from the action body, like a lot. I used a dial indicator to see how much camming was provided. Total was .023.

Since it is too late to return the bastid since I have already tinkered with it, who will move the handle forward and time it quickly?

Are you sure the bolt lug isn't catching on a too long front action screw? Have you tried the bolt without the front screw installed?

Dan Armstrong out of Alaska. Dans40x here on the Hide, but I have not seen him post in a while. First class work. www.accu-tig.com

Dan is a man of STRONG convictions. Some iron deficient members of the Hide have been easily bruised by some of his posts. Take such with a grain of salt. Dan's work and advice, particularly in regard to this exact issue, have always been spot on.

Last edited:
+1 on Dan. This is exactly what he specializes in, relocating(timing) bolt handles. I have had him replace several for me as his price, quality and turnaround is very good.
Many of the newer Remingtons are lacking enough primary extraction right out of the box, and any amount of truing only compounds the problem. I look for a minimum of about .030" camming, but more is better. With .023" and hot loads, I feel certain you'll experience the dreaded bolt-click.

+1 for Dan but be aware some get rubbed wrong with his opinions... There is a smith here on the hide that also does the service but I have a problem who pin their business and religion in the same bag.

Call Nate at Straightshot. I think he's 308nate here on the hide. He'll re locate and tig your handle for a very reasonable price and turn around time.

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

How is Nates turn around now. I have dealt with Nate a lot and know he is a good guy, but last time I spoke with him e was swamped. I have seen some of the stuff he has been turning out and suspected he still was what with that backing plate and starting to chamber via CNC.

Are you sure the bolt lug isn't catching on a too long front action screw? Have you tried the bolt without the front screw installed?

Uhhh yea that aint it. I did screw the old barrel back on the action just so the bolt forward play was controlled, but no action screws.

I wonder if I screw the barrel off my 300 whisper and use this screwed up action for that if it would work. Heck I still do not know if .023 is enough to camming. My whisper has a PTG bolt that Nate tigged the handle on. Might give it a try tomorrow and see.

Dan did a 700 bolt for me; turned out great. I had him weld on a Hollands replacement handle and the whole package with freight was cheaper than most smiths charge to thread on a bolt knob. Apparently, he has flustered some people, but all my interactions with him were good.

I've handled new remingtons at the store that had essentially zero cam. The proper way to fix this is to relocate the handle, but I've also been able to fix the problem by putting a small blob of weld in the right spot then grinding it down to the right shape. This was easier for me and achieved the same thing.

Attachments

• xrbolt.jpg
    xrbolt.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 18
Hey EDDYBO Nate sent me back 4 bolts he just retimed for me. All look very good and lockup well. Id give Nate a call...

I picked up a new SPS last week and finally got around to stripping it down and truing the action. I did not even really clean up the lug abutments and did not have to touch the bolt lugs at all other than lapping. When I got through I realized that the bolt handle pretty far away from the action body, like a lot. I used a dial indicator to see how much camming was provided. Total was .023.

Since it is too late to return the bastid since I have already tinkered with it, who will move the handle forward and time it quickly?

Same day turnaround and $75.00 gets her done here.

C.