• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much change in accuracy from Lee dies to Match grade dies?

layback04

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Ohio
I am currently using Lee and Hornady 308 dies for reloading, so far they are getting the job done, but I just got my Gold Medal Match 6.5x47 dies and I really like them and I like my buddy's Redding Type S dies for 6br. My question is how much accuracy gain will I see in my 308 by going with a match grade set of dies, if any? The rifle is just a 700 varmint, I need to be able to justify the money spent with accuracy gain, plus which dies set to you recommend?

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Have you had your action trued? What stock is it in? How long have you been shooting? How far can you shoot?

Action is not trued, it is currently the original stock, I have been shooting the gun for two years now, but have been reloading for about 5 years. This is currently my long range (1000 yard) rifle, shooting from 235-1000 yards.

My $.02 is to start by getting the action trued and changing out the stock. I mean if it's sitting in an HS precision which some Remingtons come with then they aren't half bad. If its in one of those Hogue stocks then throw that thing in the trash. Get ready to hear "work on your fundamentals" from some other dudes but I would look into the rifle itself first.

I will continue to work on my form, once I get my 6.5 lapua built I will start modifying my 308.

I was using Lee FL and collet dies.
I spent a few hundred bucks for Redding type S neck dies (plus bushings) and competition seating dies for .223, .308, and .260.
I even lucked out and found a Coax press in stock.

I have not seen any difference in accuracy yet.

I have used various dies ( RCBS standard , competition & custom , Redding , Lyman , Dillon , Lee, etc.) and to be honest I am liking the Lee collet dies a LOT.
Dies are built with standard and optional features like bushings to control neck tension, neck sizer only, collet sizer over mandrel , small base, micrometer seating, etc.

If I did my part in setting up and using the dies correctly and making sized ammo with minimal run out they all produce excellent ammo.
YMMV

My .02c is you have to start with a very good foundation, and that is case prep. Everything else is built from there. I have some expensive dies but I am also a believer in keeping it simple, so my current set-up is a Redding body die (doesn't touch the neck) and a Lee Collet die. I seat with a Forster micrometer seating die.

Lees are your best bang for the buck, and unless you are a super ultra perfectionist and you strap your gun to a bench to do all of your shooting... you wouldn't noticed a difference, it's more a personal preference & bells and whistles

Don't care for the lee seater. Yes, they work well enough but I prefer the rcbs competition seater with the window or a seater with a mic head - the hornady seater works well for me with the micrometer head.

Ah, if only the pursuit of accuracy was as simple as buying the right tools and cases and bullets and getting the same OAL within a half thou and charges consistant to .000002 gr. Fact is, shooting skill and reloading skill and a good accurate load development process will have a far greater effect on targets than changing dies and tiny fractions of loaded dimensions or powder weight. The real question with dies isn't "what I like" but does higher cost guarantee any difference on target and that answer is an unqualified "NO". All dies are made within standard manufactoring tolerances and Lee's perform as well as any. And often a bit better.

I have found Redding and Forster Comp/BR full body length sleeve seaters consistantly do very good if not perfect work; they are tied for first place in my experience. On average, ALL other brands/types are tied for second place - and most dies are so good that second place is better than most shooters and rigs. In my measurements of well over fifty die sets I've found the output of individual dies differ as much between examples of the same brand as between brands.

Straighter ammo usually shoots straighter. The press used is largely irrelivant; dies are where ammo is made. Good seaters help but cases may be a bigger problem, lightly turned case necks can be helpful even in SAAMI chambers. I've found no sizer produces a higher average of straight case necks than Lee's collet neck dies; if someone gives me another bushing size die I'll take it but I won't buy another. I use home made "body sizers" of common FL dies with the necks reamed enough so the Lee collet die can then do it's thing; if you can't modify your own body dies, buy one. And, whatever neck sizer/expander you use, avoid any "neck tension" with a neck ID smaller than 1 to 1.5 thou under bullet diameter or you'll bend your nice straight necks when seating too fat bullets.

Last edited:
I would worry about the rifle first before putting a couple hundred in some dies. The Lee will be fine for now. I think you would see better accuracy from a free floating stock, bedding the action, and possibly replacing the factory barrel then would you see if you just invested in competition dies. Imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, if only the pursuit of accuracy was as simple as buying the right tools and cases and bullets and getting the same OAL within a half thou and charges consistant to .000002 gr. Fact is, shooting skill and reloading skill and a good accurate load development process will have a far greater effect on targets than changing dies and tiny fractions of loaded dimensions or powder weight. The real question with dies isn't "what I like" but does higher cost guarantee any difference on target and that answer is an unqualified "NO". All dies are made within standard manufactoring tolerances and Lee's perform as well as any. And often a bit better.

I have found Redding and Forster Comp/BR full body length sleeve seaters consistantly do very good if not perfect work; they are tied for first place in my experience. On average, ALL other brands/types are tied for second place - and most dies are so good that second place is better than most shooters and rigs. In my measurements of well over fifty die sets I've found the output of individual dies differ as much between examples of the same brand as between brands.

Straighter ammo usually shoots straighter. The press used is largely irrelivant; dies are where ammo is made. Good seaters help but cases may be a bigger problem, lightly turned case necks can be helpful even in SAAMI chambers. I've found no sizer produces a higher average of straight case necks than Lee's collet neck dies; if someone gives me another bushing size die I'll take it but I won't buy another. I use home made "body sizers" of common FL dies with the necks reamed enough so the Lee collet die can then do it's thing; if you can't modify your own body dies, buy one. And, whatever neck sizer/expander you use, avoid any "neck tension" with a neck ID smaller than 1 to 1.5 thou under bullet diameter or you'll bend your nice straight necks when seating too fat bullets.

Nicely said!!! For years I used a Lee FL die, and seater die , and my ammo shot very well. Really it shot just as good as with the high dollar dies. It wasn't until I became more "serious" in my loading that I wanted dies that would give me more of an idea of where i was in regards to neck tension , or exactly how much deeper I would be seating a bullet. Enter the redding comp seater die, body die and Forester bushing dies. Il say that my loads then shot pretty much the same as they do now. The only difference is I have more knowledge of whats what in adjusting my dies. (MICROMETER) But even now, I CONSTANTLY use a Lee collet die in conjunction with a redding body die when I need to bump a bit. I've got mine set up on a Redding T7 so I NEVER have to adjust it. Hence, the tension stays the same.

I am still using all Lee dies except a set of 308 and 223 SB Xdies for my M1A and AR brass, I am wondering now if I femove the stem drem the Lee FL sizing dies do they just become bump dies or are the dimensions of the Lee FL and the Redding bump type dies different?

Ah okay, I use the Lee collet die for neck sizing. If I understand you the bump die does not tiuch the neck and the lee die squeezes it with the mandrel removed, is there any benefit to getting the bump die vs the Lee without mandrel?