• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How much freebore is too much?

MACHTECH

Say cheese!
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    Michigan
    I didn't know if I should post this here or in the reloading section, but here goes...

I had a custom rifle built in 7mm WSM. I sent 3 dummy rounds to the builder to "chamber to". This build was on a mausingfield short action using the Accurate WSM mags. The dummy rounds were seated out as far as possible using 180 Berger hybrids so they would just fit into the mag. Upon measuring the chamber with a Hornady seating depth gage, the freebore depth or jump measured .270". Upon calling the Smith to find out why there was so much freebore, all I got was.... "Does it shoot?", then "our reamer is kinda old". So I will ask here, how much freebore is too much and will this affect the longevity of the barrel? I would like to hear from someone knowledgeable about the subject.

Thanks,

Todd

What's the base to ogive measurement of your loaded dummy round?

Whether it shoots or not, you got nowhere close to what you asked for. An "old" reamer means he didn't use one to match your dummy round or he used saami and then a throater well beyond what you asked for. Either way, I'd be pissed.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I am most worried about is the throat erosion. Will it cause premature erosion? We are shooting all day today, I will measure over the ogive tonight when I get home.

Not going to erode the throat any faster than if the bullet was touching the lands. It's just that you have no ability to get the bullets close to the lands where it might shoot the best. It may be that the bullet shoots fine with lots of jump, you never know until you try. I've had some rifles where I was jumping the bullet a LOT and it still shot great. Still not ideal given that you sent him a dummy round.

I do see this as partly a communication issue between you and your smith. Reamers all have a fixed amount of freebore. Freebore can be added on after the fact with a separate throating reamer, but you can't shorten the freebore once it's been reamed. You need to be asking him "How much freebore does your reamer have?" or "Do you have a zero freebore reamer and a separate throating reamer?". If your smith only has one 7 WSM reamer and it's got a lot of freebore there's no way he can custom chamber the barrel for you without ordering a new reamer to your specs. That type of arrangement usually has the buyer paying for half the reamer or something to that effect, if it's not a common caliber.

Now if you confirm he's got the tools to do what you want, then the next step is to give specifics that you want the throat depth set to touch with your dummy round, or to be + 0.010 with the dummy rounds, or whatever.

Not saying that he's in the right or anything, but given the technical nature of this kind of thing it's good to have all the details and expectations laid out specifically beforehand.

.270 is probably half of a stock Rem 700 and some of those shoot great.

Throating escapes a lot of smiths.

GAP, Beanland etc. have a good handle on things and order reamers accordingly.

When you hear a shooter say "such and such" cuts a good chamber, it isn't just that he knows how to cut it concentric.

From your description of your dummy rounds, it sounds like you hamstrung yourself as well.

I don't see how anyone can defend this smith. I'd be LIVID if was the OP. Look, you hire a gunsmith with the expectation that they A. Know what they're doing and B. That they will do what you ask. Additionally, if a smith disagrees with your request or doesn't understand it or WHATEVER.....THEY, being the supposed expert, ought to discuss/clarify/educate/etc. the client until an agreement is reached and, then, that agreement should be followed to the letter! Drives me crazy hearing about smiths that just do whatever they feel like (regardless of the client) once they get your rifle.

Especially when a client doesn't appear to have much, if any, real wisdom in regards to the build they want, I feel like it's incumbent on the smith to work with the client to educate them and convince them if there's a difference of opinion. Ultimately, the smith works for the client and they should either build it how they were asked to build it after consultation OR, if they disagree with the client, decline the project.

Unfortunately, there are too many stories of problematic builds these days. Client's shouldn't have to but, unfortunately, need to be VERY careful who they choose as a smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with above^^^^ I would be very pissed off. If I send you a dummy round or 3, I want it within .005. It can and has been done thousands of times. And his "old" reamer should have the specs on it. Not a very good smith IMHO. I would send it back, make him set it back .100" and re-chamber. Then I would search on here for good, reputable smiths for the next time.

The scary thing is...... He's one of the most respected Smith's on here. I'm not going to mention a name because I believe that either "A" it was just a judgement call and he never thought I would check it or "B" he's so dang busy with new projects that one of his guys rushed it thru. I'm still trying to get it worked out. This is my third build with them and the other two are perfection.

Thanks again for all your opinions.

Todd

It was me ok?

Yep, chambered the gun in a .188" FB, 7mm WSM. Done a few this way. For what ever reason it was an issue this time. I've worked it out with the owner and were moving forward. Rifle is reported to shoot 1/2" with factory ammo. Handloads yet to be tested.

Todd, speculating that I would try to slide it by you pisses me off to be quite honest. 9 years of being one of the most transparent shops on the planet. I guess I expected too much to think it might earn me a bit more credit than you are willing to offer.

Noted. . .

When your reamer arrives it'll be set back and re chambered. No charge and that includes the shipping. -Just like we've done for every other person that's ever had a problem.

C.

Last edited: