• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How much is a "grip" of ammo?

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
I'm a little embarrassed as well as not really sure which forum would be appropriate for this post, but I have a question.

I was offered some military surplus ammo for free if I would drive 3 hours each way to get it. The ammo is 9mm, 5.56x45, and 7.62x51. The only description concerning quantity was that I would be getting a "grip" of each. The guy I'm getting it from is currently out of the country (can't get in touch with him) and won't be back before Friday night and I have to pick it up Saturday morning. I'm just asking this here because I don't know how much that is, never heard that term before, and I don't really want to waste my time or his if its not going to be enough to even account for $ spent on gas. If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: How much is a "grip" of ammo?

A "grip" is a unit of measure utilized in mostly urban settings that is equivalent to "some". It's about the same as "be back in a minute" when you don't mean a 60 second time frame.

Never heard that one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CASDB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "grip" is a unit of measure utilized in mostly urban settings that is equivalent to "some". It's about the same as "be back in a minute" when you don't mean a 60 second time frame. </div></div>

And that was the understanding that I've been leaning to. I just didn't know if it was some slang term that I had never heard before that actually did have a pre-defined number attached. I served in the Marine Corps and he in the Navy and sometimes I just feel like he speaks in another language to me. I was never really around Navy guys when I was in so I didn't know if it was just something that they say or he really just didn't have a particular amount in mind. Oh well, I guess it would be go to at least go and see they guy, it has been a couple of years.

Back in my daddy's day, a "grip" was a large briefcase sized suitcase. About 20 inches wide, 19" inches tall and 6 inches thick. Most traveling men carried them. Their (redundant) name was,"grip satchel". (That is how Louis Armstrong got the name "Satchel Mouth, or "Satchmo". The top of the (mostly) leather bag opened wide...like Louis' mouth.) So...maybe he is offering you a medium sized suitcase full. Let's just hope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in my daddy's day, a "grip" was a large briefcase sized suitcase. About 20 inches wide, 19" inches tall and 6 inches thick. Most traveling men carried them. Their (redundant) name was,"grip satchel". (That is how Louis Armstrong got the name "Satchel Mouth, or "Satchmo". The top of the (mostly) leather bag opened wide...like Louis' mouth.) So...maybe he is offering you a medium sized suitcase full. Let's just hope. </div></div>

I'd be down with that.

Navy slang is funny like "shit-bag" referring to mean "lazy, worthless idiot"

Wait, no. That kind of works actually.

If and when I have ever referred to "a grip" of something, it usually meant a lot of something.

Good luck and let us know what the score turns out to be.

speaking as a former Navy gunner's mate.... Never heard it before.

I use "grip" all the time. It must be a regional term.

A grip of apples
grab me a grip of primers

etc..

Me to it just means a bunch, i.e more than a few but not quite a shit-ton.

Grip

A whole lot of something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVThuh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Navy slang is funny like "shit-bag" referring to mean "lazy, worthless idiot"

Wait, no. That kind of works actually.

If and when I have ever referred to "a grip" of something, it usually meant a lot of something.

Good luck and let us know what the score turns out to be. </div></div>

Thanks. And I appreciate all of the comments from everyone. I guess one thing we can all agree on is the fact that none of us have a fricken clue as to how much "a grip" amounts to in a quantifiable fashion. I'll definitely have to get back in here and let y'all know what conclusion I come to after I pick it up on Saturday.

Thanks again.