• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much is to much......

Shooterken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2011
Central Ohio
The other day I was in the local cigar shop enjoying some time with some friends. There was a gentleman sitting across from us and I noticed a barrel of a gun was sticking outside the bottom of his pants by his boot obviously he was carrying in an ankle holster. After a few minutes I struck up a conversation with the guy and I asked what he was carrying. He told me it was a Glock then continued to tell me all about the other 3 guns he had on him at that time. 2 in his waist and 1 more in some sort of rig around his neck. All in all he was carrying 4 firearms total as well as multiple knives on his person.

After he left we had a discussion about how much is to much? I think this guy was a little excessive. My CCW gun is an HK .45 compact and on occasion I'll carry an extra mag. In a real world situation, How much is to much?

Re: How much is to much......

heck, i would say all you need is a good 45 for self defence, unless your expecting the living dead to start walking the earth at any moment, I would also say it depends on if what you do for a living puts you in danger maybe a second 45 at the most..

dude sounds like a borderline retard to me.... definately too much.

Read a story once about Elmer Keith showing up at work (G&A magazine?) asking the staff to guess how many guns he had on him. IIRC it was 22. Don't recall the point of his exercise, but personally I would think one main and a backup on an ankle holster should be more than enough for anything short of something like meeting up with a crowd the size that ruined Reginald Denny.

Maybe he's just a horrible shot and needs more lead to put down range... even then a few extra mags should be sufficient! To each his own though:)

Sounds about right to me.

If you have a dependable primary and a backup just in case the primary experiences a catastrophic failure or gets damaged by incoming rounds, that's probably "enough". (A good knife is <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> a bad idea, either.) But your question is a good one. I would consider "too much" to occur when the number and location of firearms on one's person interfered with one's ability to access the guns or move freely. Short of that, I guess whatever you're comfortable with is okay, if a little extravagant.

I do know some LEOs in Florida who carry their duty firearms, backups in ankle rigs, and NAA Mini Revolvers in 22 Mag on lanyards around their necks. They explained that the Mini was a last-ditch piece to be used if they ever found themselves in an "execution-style" situation...on their knees. They figured they would ask to pray and to be allowed to get their cross out. They'd be able to get to the NAA and maybe keep themselves from being popped. Sounded a little far-fetched, but still plausible, and if it gave them peace of mind, then the extra few ounces was worth it.

Well, in a real world "situation" you could never have too much so give him props for being prepared. In reality most individuals that carry will never fire their weapon in self defense, so he's probably over compensating but what the heck, if it works for him then fine. Not exactly excited that his firearm was revealed though and that he wanted to discuss his strategey with you and reveal he had other firearms.......???

Was he a fat ass too?

Yeah, sure if / could / maybe someone could find themselves in a position in life so as to *need* triple backups (likely at the expense of extra mags); however such a person likely wouldn't have the luxury of sauntering about in a smoke shop. Also if they have lived that life for a substantial period, they have likely learned how to dress, walk, sit, move, not f*ckin speak about anything on their person........read poser.

Also there are some great drills that one can do that stress how muscle memory / grooved training can really slow you down when your set up changes. It would be interesting to see Mr. Triple BUG work it out in a FOF situation. My money says he goes down HARD.

Good luck

If you cannot get it done in the first magazine you might as well head to the fuckin house.... Or you were in the completely wrong situation in the first place and no matter what you were outmatched from the get go no matter how many guns you bring.

A good knife is never a bad idea to have on you also.

Would say if concealed then 1 is enough with a spare mag

Open, 1-open carry, and 1 concealed with a knife

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That guy doesn't have shit on this kid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ade7dO8dmd4
</div></div>

HAHAHAH I mean come on! Who doesn't keep a shotgun in their pants? That is funny shit.

All great points, I seriously doubt he wasn't a professional in LE because I never would of seen his Glock in the first place. I really can't type that last sentence with a straight face
smile.gif
. It was excessive and the funny part was I don't think by the way he was dressed, he couldn't of gotten to any of them quickly if the situation called for it. As poke put it from above, "He should go back to the fuckin house"!

I hate to admit that i know some one like that. I have talked to him several times about it. In a serious attempt to understand the mentality of carrying so many guns. I have come to the conclusion that in his case it is an actual condition little man syndrome AKA napoleon complex. This guy carry's on him at all timed a 9mm in a holster a .32 in his pocket and a compact Glock on the ankle. THAT'S NOT ALL! In his truck he has a Taurus .410 revolver in the center consul as well as an AR on the back seat at all times. he never passes up the opportunity to tell every one about what he is carrying and to show them off at any opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to admit that i know some one like that. I have talked to him several times about it. In a serious attempt to understand the mentality of carrying so many guns. I have come to the conclusion that in his case it is an actual condition little man syndrome AKA napoleon complex. This guy carry's on him at all timed a 9mm in a holster a .32 in his pocket and a compact Glock on the ankle. THAT'S NOT ALL! In his truck he has a Taurus .410 revolver in the center consul as well as an AR on the back seat at all times. he never passes up the opportunity to tell every one about what he is carrying and to show them off at any opportunity. </div></div>

That will get him dead with some hood rat collecting up the prizes.

Maybe it's just me but I always figured I needed enough to stop the threat and break contact. If I'm getting into a fire fight I'm bringing all my guns and calling all my friends and telling them to bring all THEIR guns.

I could be wrong tho.....

Cheers,

Doc

At one point I was sitting ext to him and he went on this long tangent about how hes is prepared for any situation and is always ready for what ever. I sad to him..

- So if i decided to grab that pen off the desk and stab you in the neck your going to have the time to draw your weapon and stop me?

him- well you know what I mean

me- no not rely what do you mean?

him- well any thing can happen at any time you just never know what you might need. I don't want to be standing in a gas station or a bank when it gets robbed and not have my gun.

me- If that were to happen do you think you would have much of a chance to draw your gun? I mean most of the time when that happens they come in guns already drawn. In most cases are not going to shoot any one as long as they get what they want. By reaching for a gun you may be the one escalating the situation to something it does not need to be and why would you need so many guns.

at that point the conversation took off. he talked for about 20 min about how by having so many guns he has the upper hand on all situations. In his house he has an AR in one of his kitchen cabinets locked loaded and ready to go. A shot gun rite next to his front door. A pistol in the compartment of each of the arm chairs in his living room. and an AR that hangs on the back of his couch. A pistol in a small compartment next to his toilet. and in his bead room an AK a shot gun and his gun safe as well as his carry weapon.

Realizing I was in over my head with this guy I let it end. I know all of this is true because he is a business partner and theses conversations have gone on between us for about 10 years now. I have seen what he has in his house he loves showing it off and telling people about it. Here is the kicker he rarely shoots his stuff. he wants it looking new and shiny. he has tens of thousands of rounds he just keeps buying it but he does not shoot his stuff..

I have tried to explain to him that a man with one gun. That trains with that gun shoots thousands of rounds through it and is efficient with it is mare prepared and ready than a man with a thousand guns who never shoot's any of them. he does not get it.

i still dont get the mentality of people like this! some one help me out here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i still dont get the mentality of people like this! some one help me out here

</div></div>

There's no help. He likes to collect and brag. It sounds like the most likely outcome if he's ever in any kind of threatening situation is that he'll chit-chat their ear off and they'll shoot themself to escape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other day I was in the local cigar shop enjoying some time with some friends. There was a gentleman sitting across from us and I noticed a barrel of a gun was sticking outside the bottom of his pants by his boot obviously he was carrying in an ankle holster. After a few minutes I struck up a conversation with the guy and I asked what he was carrying. He told me it was a Glock then continued to tell me all about the other 3 guns he had on him at that time. 2 in his waist and 1 more in some sort of rig around his neck. All in all he was carrying 4 firearms total as well as multiple knives on his person.

After he left we had a discussion about how much is to much? I think this guy was a little excessive. My CCW gun is an HK .45 compact and on occasion I'll carry an extra mag. In a real world situation, How much is to much?

</div></div>

Sounds like a guy with SPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was his name Gecko45? </div></div>

Haven't heard that name in awhile.

What ever happened to the Minute Of Duck guy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried to explain to him that a man with one gun. That trains with that gun shoots thousands of rounds through it and is efficient with it is mare prepared and ready than a man with a thousand guns who never shoot's any of them. he does not get it.
</div></div>

There is an old saying, regarding guns and golf clubs:

" beware of the man that has only one ( club/gun )..... He likely knows how to use it...."

I talked to a local law enforcement officer the other day. In fact was selling him a Ruger LC9 that he was buying for a backup gun.

He was saying that most on the force were not only carrying a backup but a third one as well.

Not sure if there is too much. I personally only carry one but if someone wants to carry more then by all means go for it.

I would always rather carry an extra mag (or two) than an extra gun. I can only shoot one at a time, and anybody with me who is not carrying their own already probably would not be much use in a gun fight where I to hand them my backup, anyway.

(I like the sound of his house, though
grin.gif
)

It's interesting. You should see him when he pulls into his drive way for the night. It takes 2 trips to his truck in most cases to get all of his guns out of his truck. I just scratch my head. I went on a trip with him last summer to North Carolina. When we finally got to the hotel room. He unpacked his bag I swear he had every hand gun he owned in his bag there were more hand guns than cloths. this guy is like 5'6" 135lbs and scared of his own shadow. Any more i just kind of blow it it off.