• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much MOA cant for Athlon Cronus BTR?

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I have an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 scope that I'll be putting on a new Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. The scope has 32 mils of elevation adjustment. I understand that you can add cant under your scope up to a little less than half your total scope elevation range, giving you almost the full range of elevation adjustment in your scope for ELR. In my case, this would be a 50 MOA base (rounded down from 54.88 MOA). But, I've read this could degrade image quality on some scopes.

First, does anyone know if this would degrade image quality on the Athlon Cronus, specifically?

Second, if you think you have just enough elevation adjustment for your realistic max shooting distance, should you just leave it at 0 MOA cant (does that give you the best image quality), or does something in between yield the best image quality (ex. 20 MOA)?

Thank you.

There are experts in here that will give you a definitive answer. Mine are simply off observation.

On an elr 22 rig I maxed out the cant and had 30 mil of elevation with the optic mounted. I can confidently say, that it felt weird shooting through the optic maxed out on the bottom. It was easier to get behind on the intermediate targets that required 10-20 mil of adjustment.

I usually end up with 20 mil of elevation available on most optics, and that seems reasonable enough for me. On centerfire 20 mil will reach past most shooters ability.

Try to center the majority of your shooting in the middle of the optics range. I believe most scopes are around 100 yard zero at optical center, with 0 cant base. That would be more than fine for shooting to 5-600 with some occasionals out to 1000 ish. If you are going to live in the 6-800 with some occasionals out to 1500, get a 20 moa base. If you want to live at 1000 yards and go out to 17- or 2k get a 30, 40, or more.

Try to center the majority of your shooting in the middle of the optics range. I believe most scopes are around 100 yard zero at optical center, with 0 cant base. That would be more than fine for shooting to 5-600 with some occasionals out to 1000 ish. If you are going to live in the 6-800 with some occasionals out to 1500, get a 20 moa base. If you want to live at 1000 yards and go out to 17- or 2k get a 30, 40, or more.

I'll be shooting mostly at 850 yards (max at my local range), with 1400+ yards occasionally at classes. Sounds like 20 MOA is the way to go. Thank you.

Reactions: Forward543
I run a 30 MOA rail with mine.
Unlike my cheaper scopes My Cronus is pretty good at max elevation.

I’m thinking about going with a 45 moa rail to optimize it to where I normally shoot.

I would go with 20 to 30 moa base. I run 20 on my ctr and ran out of elevation moving from 1300 to 1600 the other day. The optical clarity degraded at the very bottom of the range for sure.

It looks like I'm going to have to take the 20 MOA rail off and go back to the 0 MOA. I went to the range today to zero it and I was hitting 4.5 mils high at 100 and my elevation turret was bottomed out with no more downward travel. I'm running 1.26" ARC rings.

It looks like I'm going to have to take the 20 MOA rail off and go back to the 0 MOA. I went to the range today to zero it and I was hitting 4.5 mils high at 100 and my elevation turret was bottomed out with no more downward travel. I'm running 1.26" ARC rings.
You should have no problems zeroing at 100 yards with a 20moa cant rail.

Sounds like your hitting the zero stop ?

That is possible. I took the turret off with the top set screw, loosened the 3 set screws holding the zero stop plate, but couldn't get the plate to turn clockwise for down. I've only used this scope once and I didn't have the manual with me, so it's entirely possible I misunderstood how the zero stop works. I've attached a pic of the elevation turret.
IMG_20200530_163249.jpg

That is possible. I took the turret off with the top set screw, loosened the 3 set screws holding the zero stop plate, but couldn't get the plate to turn clockwise for down. I've only used this scope once and I didn't have the manual with me, so it's entirely possible I misunderstood how the zero stop works. I've attached a pic of the elevation turret. View attachment 7339702
Loosen the three screws on the zero stop
Zero scope
Turn the zero stop till it stops.(clockwise I think, you’ll feel a distinct stop.
Tighten strews.
Replace cap.

I was able to easily zero at 100 with a 45 moa rail.

Last edited:
If your hitting high loosen the 3 screws and bring the zero stop up a bit. It’s just a washer more or less. Tighten about half way up or leave loose. Then sight in and drop the zero stop back down after

Last edited:
It doesn’t work that way
It doesn’t go up and down
It's exactly how that works. But you want to raise the plate to dial it lower.

Loosen set screws
Raise zero stop plate or remove it completely
Put cap on and zero scope
Reinstall zero stop plate and rotate clockwise until it stops.
Tighten set screws

Damn it. I figured it out. Wish I spent 5 minutes researching this before the range. I needed to loosen the 3 set screws, put the turret back on, tighten the turret screw, dial down, then take the turret off and tighten the 3 zero stop screws.

Well... I've dialed down 4.5 mils so I should be good now lol.

Damn it. I figured it out. Wish I spent 5 minutes researching this before the range. I needed to loosen the 3 set screws, put the turret back on, tighten the turret screw, dial down, then take the turret off and tighten the 3 zero stop screws.

Well... I've dialed down 4.5 mils so I should be good now lol.

F6F73EC5-D5CA-4271-BFA9-1EE12CE6DC95.gif

Reactions: spife7980
I’ve been considering buying this exact model. I have never seen any optics from them though. Can anyone that owns a Athlon Cronus chime in any let me know what you think of it? How does it compare to some of the other known quality optics out there? Thanks in advance

I’ve been considering buying this exact model. I have never seen any optics from them though. Can anyone that owns a Athlon Cronus chime in any let me know what you think of it? How does it compare to some of the other known quality optics out there? Thanks in advance
It’s the cats pajamas for the prices you can get them for. I paid 1k and 1250 for mine and have zero complaints with them.

Reactions: dbltap45acp