• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much MOA for scope rail?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
A buddy and I have shot our .22s out to 100 yards, looking to go further and use the 22s as training rifles.
I shoot a 243 with an Athlon Talos BTR 6-24. Thinking about putting a Talos 4-14 on the Ruger 10/22 to make it as similar as possible.
I would like to have a short range zero and then be able to dial and hold as far as I can. Maybe run a match with it someday.
The 4-14 shows to have 20 MOA of adjustment, so how much of a rail can I put under it and be able to zero at 50 yards?

Your Athlon Talos 4-14 has 20 mil or 68.75 MOA of available adjustment.
So that’s roughly 34.375 MOA up and down.
If you go with a 30 MOA base, you’ll have 4.375 MOA to adjust the round down and 64.375 MOA to adjust the round up.
That is about as good as your going to get for the full use of your scopes available built in adjustment. You just need to make sure that 4.375 MOA is enough to zero at 50yds.

Thank you guys.
That's one of the things I was wondering, will I have enough travel left to sight in short?

Going to a 40moa on my Rim-X 22lr with a Vortex Strike Eagle. With the 30moa I run outta elevation for the 500 yards shots. Gotta max out the elevation and hold overs to get there!!!

I did search before I asked. Thank you for reposting that.
Maybe that should be a sticky thread.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Going to a 40moa on my Rim-X 22lr with a Vortex Strike Eagle. With the 30moa I run outta elevation for the 500 yards shots. Gotta max out the elevation and hold overs to get there!!!
how much moa is needed to get to 500 yards?

how much moa is needed to get to 500 yards?
About 110 to 120 MOA with a 50 yard zero. That's based on whatever 22lr ballistics I had on strelok (calculator calculated 112 moa. 6.8 moa or 7.1 inches at 100 yards as another data point. )