• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much MOA to add with mount?

locked&loaded

Airbrush Slinger
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Galivants Ferry, S.C.
If you have a 20 MOA base on your action, would it be a real advantage to have another 20 MOA in the mount? I know this gives you additional vertical adjustment but with a .308 when do you get to the point of overkill?

Just trying to decide on the 0 MOA Spuhr or the 20 MOA.

Re: How much MOA to add with mount?

Can your scope handle a 40 MOA adjustment? You may bottom out when trying to zero at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onoko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can your scope handle a 40 MOA adjustment? You may bottom out when trying to zero at 100 yards. </div></div>

That was one of my concerns. My scope has 34 MOA of adjustment.

Oh I forgot
How far do you plan on shooting? 20 MOA should be good enough up to 1000.
In my opinion if you have 20 in the base already just get the 0 MOA Spuhr

I have a 20 moa base and 20 moa mount with my Bushnell HDMR. It's damn near bottomed out at 100yds but not all the way.

I'm running the Bushnell hdmr as well.
I misposted the adjustment earlier. 34 mils not moa.

So 20 & 20 almost bottoms your hdmr at 100?
How much adjustment is left?

34mil = 17mil up/down = 58.45moa adjustment up/down

Theoretically if you have to make up 40moa to zero the reticle due the the canted bases you should have 18.45 moa or 5.4 mils left.

I am relatively new to this so someone may need to confirm math...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running the Bushnell hdmr as well.
I misposted the adjustment earlier. 34 mils not moa.

So 20 & 20 almost bottoms your hdmr at 100?
How much adjustment is left? </div></div>

Honestly im not sure... I'm on the bottom notch used as a revolution indicator so i'm guessing not much

I'm trying to figure out why you would want more than 34 mils and 20moa? You won't be able to see shots at the range you will be able to elevate. You will have at least 60moa ele. Why do you need more?

Ideally you want to stay in the middle of your adjustment range for the best performance with any optic. So figure how far your longest shots will generally be and run a ballistic chart on your rifle & load combo and use a base that puts you in the middle of that commonly used adjustment range. Something else you could consider is also using a base to act as a zero stop of sorts by setting it up with a base that puts you at or under one turn from the bottom. I have done this on an old MOA adjusted scope that had a limited adjustment range with 10 moa turrets and it works out well; if I get lost I dial down to the bottom and then back to zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeffP40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm trying to figure out why you would want more than 34 mils and 20moa? You won't be able to see shots at the range you will be able to elevate. You will have at least 60moa ele. Why do you need more? </div></div>

Better to have too much than not enough if it's ever needed...

If you go too far, you are at the edge of your range when zeroed tho. I would rather be away from the limits a bit. I can't imagine how far it would reach with the proposed set-up.

The way I figure it, at 34 mils of adjustment, you have 17 up and 17 down.
20 moa (6 mils) in the base changes it to 28 up and 11 down.
Another 6 mils in the mount would give you 33 up and 5 down.
But this would put your internals in the bottom of the tube.
Seems like optical clarity would suffer a bit.

But as InkedIan stated, it should put you on the bottom come up mark.

I think your math is a little off... Or am I reading it wrong?

It may be a bit off. I think Rogue111 has the math correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rogue111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mil = 17mil up/down = 58.45moa adjustment up/down

Theoretically if you have to make up 40moa to zero the reticle due the the canted bases you should have 18.45 moa or 5.4 mils left.

I am relatively new to this so someone may need to confirm math... </div></div>

I guess my main concern is, are their any negative effects to having your scope's internals dialed so far down from the center of the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may be a bit off. I think Rogue111 has the math correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rogue111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">34mil = 17mil up/down = 58.45moa adjustment up/down

I am relatively new to this so someone may need to confirm math... </div></div>

I guess my main concern is, are their any negative effects to having your scope's internals dialed so far down from the center of the tube. </div></div>

If it's a quality scope the adjustments/clicks should be accurate at all points, but as far as optical clarity when you need it the most(1000+yds) your adjustments should bring you up far enough to be close to the center of the tube for the best optical clarity. I think...

You're right.... I didn't think about it that way.

My dope for 1000 is 36.8 moa so going with a 20 moa base and a 20 moa mount should put me close to the center of the tube.

Kevin,

Doesn't the G2 reticle in the HDMR allow you like 10 mils on the reticle just to hold for this reason? I may be wrong but I know George made the reticle to not have to adjust during matchs for this reason!

My 20moa AI mount on my AW with the HDMR should get me to 1000 with ease I would think.

You're right nut. Holding over is what i've always done and the G2 is designed for it. My hold for 1000 is 10.7 mils which is possible without dialing as long as you are zoomed out. If you are zoomed in, you loose some of your hold capability due to the FFP.
Most match shots are inside 700 so you can still zoom a bit and hold over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin,

Doesn't the G2 reticle in the HDMR allow you like 10 mils on the reticle just to hold for this reason? I may be wrong but I know George made the reticle to not have to adjust during matchs for this reason!

My 20moa AI mount on my AW with the HDMR should get me to 1000 with ease I would think. </div></div>

True, but for some reason(and i don't know why) I get more hits on steel when I dial in the elevation than when I hold over. Maybe it's mental or minor errors in reticle cant are magnified with hold over.... Holdover is great if your in a hurry, but if I have the time I dial in the correction.

Kevin,

As you know I have not been home to shoot any matches or even really put my scope through the paces but maybe dialing half would be a comprises to be able to use the high magnification? It would be a little faster and still get you use to using the hold overs. What you think?