• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much protein do you need?

First, why the trepidation? You seem upset.

The OP asked, "Arnold used to say that if you were trying to build muscle and didn't want diet to be limiting your growth, you needed 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. That was a long time ago. Does this still hold true?"

That is what I thought we were discussing. Is that not the case? Was there an imaginary pivot? If there, was lay it out and I can debate both sides.

And when I say nutrients I refer to "a substance that provides nourishment essential for growth and the maintenance of life."

Ideally, you want to eat the most nutrient dense diet if the goal is to carry the highest amount of muscle. Which should be the goal as it pertains to the greatest metabolic flexibility.

This stuff is not complicated in application. Only complex when you start to analyze the mechanism. Those who consume more protein carry more muscle than those that don't. Those who eat the most nutrient dense proteins tend to carry more muscle than those that don't. For example - 300 grams of plant based vs 300 grams from red meat. Those that can maintain muscle mass and strength the longest tend to survive the longest. I was looking at actuarial charts for a talk I did recently on Metabolic Flexibility and a clear point of death is plotted with a loss of strength and muscle.

Old people die because they fall (loss of strength/balance/coordination), break a hip (osteoporosis) then become bed ridden and pass away.

So what do you got?
Im not upset - mostly confused. A post said protein is the only macro that can alter body composition, I disagreed, it was expanded on that they meant the only one we pay attention to for a positive body comp change.
Then you posted:
  • Correlation is not causation. I never said anything to the contrary.
  • I have yet to see anyone carry a high amount of muscle eating a low protein diet. I never inferred otherwise.
  • And I have seen athletes of all shapes and sizes eat different macros and be both fat and shredded. I have seen people eat a Paleo diet with massive amounts of inflammation and get fat. The moral of the story is - calories matter. The law of thermodynamics tells us that if you use more calories than you consume you will decrease your mass. Consume more than you burn and you will add mass. And if you eat enough protein in a caloric deficit you wont lose muscle - just fat. This was the most confusing - no one here has mentioned calories. This is just basic knowledge, most dont go to the effort of discussing it. Just because its not discussed doesnt mean anyone is disagreeing.
  • Not all proteins are the same - red meat will always be more nutrient dense than chicken. Obviously Im asking which specific nutrients you are referring to. As Ive already stated, I am speaking directly and only to protein density.

Lets back up then - it sounds like you acknowledge 100gr of protein in a single meal will all be digested (while you may not feel fantastic after consuming). I took your original point as the bro-science myth that you can only utilize 40-60gr every few hours. Can you clarify your position?

My original position was stated clearly enough:

Also, it's generally considered better to spread protein intake across several meals. 4-5 meals with 25g/each of protein is going to be better than a single 100g gut bomb.

There are ways in which you can poke holes in my statement, but I'm not going to do that work for you.

If you have scientific research that indicates it is better to consume large volumes of protein all at once than it is to spread it out across several meals, feel free to post it and prove my statement wrong. I'm a big boy and can handle that.

The studies im referring to refute the myth - not that eating a bunch in a single sitting may or may not be optimal for performance (or generally feeling good)

Once again, please post the studies to which you refer. I'm looking to learn.

Remember fasting is a just a fancy way to caloric restrict. The research has been out for years, they compared people who ate the same volume of food over 16 hours vs 8 hours and the results were the same. Fasting isnt romantic and it isnt magic - just cool way to caloric restrict.

It's about more than calorie restriction.

Physically, intermittent fasting (really, any sort of fasting) improves insulin sensitivity. For those that may have excessive carbohydrate intake, that's pretty dang important.

Mentally, intermittent fasting (and once again, any sort of fasting) helps break the habit of consuming food whenever the first sign of hunger occurs.

Am I perfect about this? Hell no - I walked in the door at 10:30PM last night after a 90-minute bike ride with my buddies, and immediately shoved down a handful of peanut butter-filled pretzels. There are a lot of mornings where I'll wake up after a hard workout the previous day and know damn well that I'm not making it until 10-11AM before shoving some food in my mouth.

It's hard to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and stay lean.

For a 200 pound guy that's 1.76 pounds of meat in a day and about 2,000 calories if my math is correct.

That doesn't leave much room for fruits and veggies, and keep lean.

Egg whites are about only 52 calories each and 11 g protein, so 200 pound guy needs 18 egg whites per day and that's only 936 calories. That leaves lots of room for macros from fruits, veggies etc. But not fun to maintain for long.

Last edited:
My original position was stated clearly enough:

There are ways in which you can poke holes in my statement, but I'm not going to do that work for you.

If you have scientific research that indicates it is better to consume large volumes of protein all at once than it is to spread it out across several meals, feel free to post it and prove my statement wrong. I'm a big boy and can handle that.

Once again, please post the studies to which you refer. I'm looking to learn.
Define "better" in your context.

For a 200 pound guy that's 1.76 pounds of meat in a day and about 2,000 calories if my math is correct.

Egg whites are about only 52 calories each and 11 g protein, so 200 pound guy needs 18 egg whites per day and that's only 936 calories. That leaves lots of room for marcos from fruits, veggies etc. But not fun to maintain for long.
Its unbelievably easy. (hint: meat & eggs arent the only source of protein). 200grams of protein is only 800 calories. I easily averge 200-210 grams of protein per day on a 2300-2500 calorie plan and havent added measurable bodyfat.

Its unbelievably easy. (hint: meat & eggs arent the only source of protein). 200grams of protein is only 800 calories. I easily averge 200-210 grams of protein per day on a 2300-2500 calorie plan and havent added measurable bodyfat.

So what are you using for protien?
Powder?

I will say, folks do tend to forget about all the minor amounts of proteins in all the other stuff consumed (vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc). It isn't much compared to meat sources, but over the day, it does add up quite a bit. This is why (in my mind anyways) I always feel if I get 150gr of protein from meat, the other 25-50 grams I can cover from the non-meat foods (like the 2% milk I mix with my protein shake in the morning).

Robert Santana (SS Coach) has an interesting "ball park method" of gauging protein intake. Basically, it should be two servings of something with eyeballs a meal, each serving about the size of your fist, three times a day. It's not exact, but it'll get you close...

It's about more than calorie restriction.

Physically, intermittent fasting (really, any sort of fasting) improves insulin sensitivity. For those that may have excessive carbohydrate intake, that's pretty dang important.

Mentally, intermittent fasting (and once again, any sort of fasting) helps break the habit of consuming food whenever the first sign of hunger occurs.

Am I perfect about this? Hell no - I walked in the door at 10:30PM last night after a 90-minute bike ride with my buddies, and immediately shoved down a handful of peanut butter-filled pretzels. There are a lot of mornings where I'll wake up after a hard workout the previous day and know damn well that I'm not making it until 10-11AM before shoving some food in my mouth.

Actually it is not if you read the literature. The improved insulin sensitivity comes from the caloric restriction not from the act of fasting. The fasting is the mechanism that helps people get into caloric restriction. And improved markers come from the reduced calories. I know the world wants to believe there is some magic with fasting but we dealt with this 10 years ago and after reading through all the literature myself and other people smarter than me came to the same conclusion - just a cool way to create a caloric deficit.

You said it yourself, "helps break the habit of consuming food..."

And there are a lot of cool ways to improve insulin sensitivity - the best one is exercise. I cant remember who said it recently about their research but, "A little bit of exercise is better than a lot of fasting...."

Reactions: MarinePMI

Egg whites are about only 52 calories each and 11 g protein, so 200 pound guy needs 18 egg whites per day and that's only 936 calories. That leaves lots of room for marcos from fruits, veggies etc. But not fun to maintain for long.

It isnt. They have done studies where they have overfed subject's protein demands by 20% and 50% and it didnt effect body fat. Actually it increase metabolism. It is hard to overeat on protein because it is extremely satiating.

Actually it is not if you read the literature. The improved insulin sensitivity comes from the caloric restriction not from the act of fasting. The fasting is the mechanism that helps people get into caloric restriction. And improved markers come from the reduced calories. I know the world wants to believe there is some magic with fasting but we dealt with this 10 years ago and after reading through all the literature myself and other people smarter than me came to the same conclusion - just a cool way to create a caloric deficit.

You said it yourself, "helps break the habit of consuming food..."

And there are a lot of cool ways to improve insulin sensitivity - the best one is exercise. I cant remember who said it recently about their research but, "A little bit of exercise is better than a lot of fasting...."

Just remember... "You can't out exercise a bad diet".

ETA: Another way to look at it is:

Dieting is what you do for fat loss (and only fat loss). Exercise is what you do for conformation, and also speed up fat loss (assuming you're dieting in a caloric deficit). Each will do their own thing, and to a certain degree of success. Putting them both together, cancelling out negatives, and marrying positives; that's the tricky part. And the level of success in doing that (combining them to achieve a desired outcome) depends on many things (one of them being genetics). Some are born lucky, and others just have to work at it that much harder. Either way is achievable (or not, as the case may be), but it depends on many variables that most can not control all at the same time (whether that be personality, schedule or where they are in life).

Last edited:
Reactions: JRaven
I will say, folks do tend to forget about all the minor amounts of proteins in all the other stuff consumed (vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc). It isn't much compared to meat sources, but over the day, it does add up quite a bit. This is why (in my mind anyways) I always feel if I get 150gr of protein from meat, the other 25-50 grams I can cover from the non-meat foods (like the 2% milk I mix with my protein shake in the morning).

Robert Santana (SS Coach) has an interesting "ball park method" of gauging protein intake. Basically, it should be two servings of something with eyeballs a meal, each serving about the size of your fist, three times a day. It's not exact, but it'll get you close...

I found it easier to say....only count the protein that has a face, soul and a mother.

And I eat about 300-350 grams of protein a day depending on where I am in my training. Looks like 2 x 50 grams of whey & collagen protein, 2 x 10 oz of ground buffalo, 10-14 oz of white fish or chicken or turkey or red meat and cup of Greek Yogurt before bed.

Just remember... "You can't out exercise a bad diet"
If you talk with any elite level athlete, bodybuilder, or similar, it's nearly unanimous; they'd rather have to miss a workout rather than eat a bad meal or skip a meal. The casual athelte just doesn't put enough emphasis in the kitchen.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I found it easier to say....only count the protein that has a face, soul and a mother.

And I eat about 300-350 grams of protein a day depending on where I am in my training. Looks like 2 x 50 grams of whey & collagen protein, 2 x 10 oz of ground buffalo, 10-14 oz of white fish or chicken or turkey or red meat and cup of Greek Yogurt before bed.
Goodness gracious how much do you weigh? (and how do you afford 38lbs of buffalo per month haha)

And for a legit question, how much water do you drink per day?

Goodness gracious how much do you weigh? (and how do you afford 38lbs of buffalo per month haha)

And for a legit question, how much water do you drink per day?

6'6' 278 pound this AM. I have a meat sponsor. I try to drink 150 ounces a day. More in the summer, less in the winter. You can die here in TX in the summer pretty easy.

• Wow
Reactions: PracticalTactical
6'6' 278 pound this AM. I have a meat sponsor. I try to drink 150 ounces a day. More in the summer, less in the winter. You can die here in TX in the summer pretty easy.
OK - makes a lot more sense now haha. thanks

Just remember... "You can't out exercise a bad diet".

This is easy when you say it fast. Just like we cannot out run our forks. The hard part is knowing good from bad, where you can cheat and selecting foods that keep you satisfied instead of triggering hunger.

I lost 44 pounds over a 2 year period by going to the gym almost every day, but I didn't see any real progress until I cleaned up my meals.

I'm 58 years old and focused largely on avoiding inflammatory foods and eating anti inflammatory foods. Young guys probably wouldn't appreciate the significance of that, but it got me off a bunch of BP meds. I also focused on slow carbs, or low glycemic index carbs to avoid triggering an insulin spike.

Since my goal was to lose weight, I was only around 1/2 gram protein per pound of body weight, but after reading the above I think I should increase the protein now.

I'm not sure how true it is, but my understanding is that when eating a high protein diet, it can be hard on your liver. To help keep your liver clean, it's important to eat lots of bitter greens. That's my understanding anyway.

I think the conventional wisdom for being on a high protein diet, is ensure you're drinking enough water (hydration). That alone will solve any liver/kidney impacts from the increased protein intake.

And FWIW, I'm a far cry from being young...

This is easy when you say it fast. Just like we cannot out run our forks. The hard part is knowing good from bad, where you can cheat and selecting foods that keep you satisfied instead of triggering hunger.

I lost 44 pounds over a 2 year period by going to the gym almost every day, but I didn't see any real progress until I cleaned up my meals.

I'm 58 years old and focused largely on avoiding inflammatory foods and eating anti inflammatory foods. Young guys probably wouldn't appreciate the significance of that, but it got me off a bunch of BP meds. I also focused on slow carbs, or low glycemic index carbs to avoid triggering an insulin spike.

Since my goal was to lose weight, I was only around 1/2 gram protein per pound of body weight, but after reading the above I think I should increase the protein now.

I'm not sure how true it is, but my understanding is that when eating a high protein diet, it can be hard on your liver. To help keep your liver clean, it's important to eat lots of bitter greens. That's my understanding anyway.

The "high protein deal is hard no the liver" is the veritable boogeyman. I don't put any stock in it. It is in the same vane of nonsense as the Barry Sears myth you can only digest 30 grams of protein per meal.

I had a conversation with Dr. Keith Baar on this very topic as it pertains to older (over 40 athletes) on how much protein and the when best to consume it.

The Anabolic Window is only an issue for older athletes with a high protein meal before (circulating aminos during training) and after training becoming paramount for building muscle in older athletes. In contrast, younger athletes have a 24-48 hour anabolic window - so it less of an issue. The reason comes down to decreased insulin sensitivity as we age.

This seems timely and relevant:

"
The researchers monitored the metabolism of mid-aged and older subjects in a whole-room respiratory chamber over two separate 56-hour sessions, using a "random crossover" experimental design. In each session, lunch and dinner were presented at the same times (12:30 and 17:45, respectively), but the timing of the third meal differed between the two halves of the study. Thus in one of the 56-hour bouts, the additional daily meal was presented as breakfast (8:00) whereas in the other session, a nutritionally equivalent meal was presented to the same subjects as a late-evening snack (22:00). The duration of the overnight fast was the same for both sessions.

Whereas the two sessions did not differ in the amount or type of food eaten or in the subjects' activity levels, the daily timing of nutrient availability, coupled with clock/sleep control of metabolism, flipped a switch in the subjects' fat/carbohydrate preference such that the late-evening snack session resulted in less fat burned when compared to the breakfast session. The timing of meals during the day/night cycle therefore affects the extent to which ingested food is used versus stored.

This study has important implications for eating habits, suggesting that a daily fast between the evening meal and breakfast will optimize weight management."

I'm anxious to see a rebuttal from the "timing doesn't matter, only calories in vs. calories out" side. And trust me, I really don't want meal timing to matter, because I love to throw down several hundred calories between an evening bike ride and bedtime.

This seems timely and relevant:

"
The researchers monitored the metabolism of mid-aged and older subjects in a whole-room respiratory chamber over two separate 56-hour sessions, using a "random crossover" experimental design. In each session, lunch and dinner were presented at the same times (12:30 and 17:45, respectively), but the timing of the third meal differed between the two halves of the study. Thus in one of the 56-hour bouts, the additional daily meal was presented as breakfast (8:00) whereas in the other session, a nutritionally equivalent meal was presented to the same subjects as a late-evening snack (22:00). The duration of the overnight fast was the same for both sessions.

Whereas the two sessions did not differ in the amount or type of food eaten or in the subjects' activity levels, the daily timing of nutrient availability, coupled with clock/sleep control of metabolism, flipped a switch in the subjects' fat/carbohydrate preference such that the late-evening snack session resulted in less fat burned when compared to the breakfast session. The timing of meals during the day/night cycle therefore affects the extent to which ingested food is used versus stored.

This study has important implications for eating habits, suggesting that a daily fast between the evening meal and breakfast will optimize weight management."

I'm anxious to see a rebuttal from the "timing doesn't matter, only calories in vs. calories out" side. And trust me, I really don't want meal timing to matter, because I love to throw down several hundred calories between an evening bike ride and bedtime.
Did you read the entire study? Unless we're fat middle aged men, this has zero relevance. It goes so far as to say similar studies done on a healthy young population have different results.

Can anyone explain how a study w/ just 6 subjects can be considered anything but anecdotal?

Last edited:
Feel free to criticize, but then please post links to studies supporting your opinions.

Feel free to criticize, but then please post links to studies supporting your opinions.
Im not criticizing, im saying per the study you posted, its only relevant if youre an overweight 50-65 year old. If thats you, then give it a shot.

Jeff Cavalier at Athlean X says it does not matter when you eat. It's all about how may calories a day you eat.
Just proves that for every expert there's an equal and opposite expert.

Certainly he pushes well balanced meal plans BTW.

We all need to be aware of advice that is put fourth in one context that may not apply to another. A great diet and workout plan for a 25 year old is not the same as for a 55 or 60 year old. Especially if you consider blood pressure, insulin sensitivity, inflammation, fat level, lifestyle fitness level etc. It all gets too complex to make blanket statements.

Last edited:
Im not criticizing, im saying per the study you posted, its only relevant if youre an overweight 50-65 year old. If thats you, then give it a shot.

Na, I'm only an overweight 45-year-old, so it's completely irrelevant.

Your prior response gave a lot of information, though. With regards to metabolic function, you believe that age is a factor, you believe that body composition is a factor, you believe that fitness level is a factor, and you believe that there is individuality even among a group that shares similar characteristics. So if that is the case, then isn't it a bit presumptuous to be making blanket statements like "meal timing doesn't matter"?

Can someone just simply post some evidence that shows I can eat any time I'd like? I have another evening bike ride tomorrow night that's gonna burn 1000 kcal or so, and I'd really like to chow down at 10PM with a clean conscience.

Na, I'm only an overweight 45-year-old, so it's completely irrelevant.

Your prior response gave a lot of information, though. With regards to metabolic function, you believe that age is a factor, you believe that body composition is a factor, you believe that fitness level is a factor, and you believe that there is individuality even among a group that shares similar characteristics. So if that is the case, then isn't it a bit presumptuous to be making blanket statements like "meal timing doesn't matter"?
Not sure why youre so hostile - I dont recall ever saying "meal timing doesnt matter", I have no idea if it does or not - Im just regurgitating what your study stated in regards to overweight old guys vs young healthy ones. If you really cant use the google machine, then thats on you to learn. I know what I know and what works for me - not my job to do your research for you. If you dont like what were saying, dont read it, dont respond. Its pretty simple.

Wow, you guys are way over thinking this. The reason why there isn’t a shining clear answer on some of this is because you are on the fringe of what actually matters.

If you want to build muscle or get ripped or just lose weight you don’t have to have every nuance covered. It’s pretty simple.

1. Get a structured workout routine that moves you towards your goal. Pick one that’s time proven, not the new fad crap.

2. Calories in vs calories out. Find your maintenance calories and then if you want to gain in a lean way you add a couple hundred per day, you want to cut then remove about 400 a day.

3. Macro Nutrients. 1 gram of protein per day at least, about .4 grams of fat per lb and the rest in complex carbs.

4. Micro Nutrients. Take a multi vitamin.

5. Food timing. It’s better to time meals with workouts to get the ideal results. However, you aren’t going to lose results if you don’t. Just make sure you get some protein and carbs after workouts.

6. Water. A gallon per day.

I kept those points basic for a reason which is that until you do those things religiously then stop worrying about all the other details.

People try to make this stuff too complicated.

Egg whites are about only 52 calories each and 11 g protein, so 200 pound guy needs 18 egg whites per day and that's only 936 calories. That leaves lots of room for macros from fruits, veggies etc. But not fun to maintain for long.

This is completely off. Protein has 4 calories per gram. Carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram.

If you are eating fatty steak then your going to bust rule #2 above. Pick lean proteins.

The contested information on this relates to kidneys, not liver. And no good studies have been done. The ones found focus on patients with underlying kidney issues to begin with.

This is also where a gallon of water a day comes in. It keeps your kidneys cleaned out and working well.

Jeff Cavalier at Athlean X says it does not matter when you eat. It's all about how may calories a day you eat.

If he said this then he is a bigger moron than his videos lead you to believe. I have seen bodybuilders eating every macro nutrient ratio step on stage and win a major bodybuilding show, both natural and untested. The only commonalities between them is every one eats a high protein diet in caloric restriction and high food quality.

Years ago John Meadows when dieting for a show decided he was going to the use the "if it fits my macros" approach and eat frozen yogurt every day. He stepped on stage to the worst placing he ever had with judges coming over saying, "Whatever you did, dont do that again. You look awful."

Purely anecdotal, but coming from one of the smartest bodybuilders I have met.

While I am not advocating for bodybuilding, but those guys know how to carry the most amount of lean body mass with the lowest amount of body fat. They have figured it out better than just about anyone.

The whole anabolic window for exercise is only relevant for older (over 40) athletes/people. Youngsters have an anabolic window that lasts 24-48 hours. As we age we lose insulin sensitivity and that anabolic window shrinks down to 60-90 minutes. If you are training, make sure you eat some protein an hour before (circulating nutrients) and a high protein meal within 60 minutes of exercise. If you can adhere to this you can put on muscle as an older individual. Some smart people have theorized that older people stop putting on muscle as they don't adhere to the anabolic window and/or dont eat enough protein to gain/maintain muscle.

Not sure why youre so hostile - I dont recall ever saying "meal timing doesnt matter", I have no idea if it does or not - Im just regurgitating what your study stated in regards to overweight old guys vs young healthy ones. If you really cant use the google machine, then thats on you to learn. I know what I know and what works for me - not my job to do your research for you. If you dont like what were saying, dont read it, dont respond. Its pretty simple.

Wow, you guys are way over thinking this. The reason why there isn’t a shining clear answer on some of this is because you are on the fringe of what actually matters.

If you want to build muscle or get ripped or just lose weight you don’t have to have every nuance covered. It’s pretty simple.

1. Get a structured workout routine that moves you towards your goal. Pick one that’s time proven, not the new fad crap.

2. Calories in vs calories out. Find your maintenance calories and then if you want to gain in a lean way you add a couple hundred per day, you want to cut then remove about 400 a day.

3. Macro Nutrients. 1 gram of protein per day at least, about .4 grams of fat per lb and the rest in complex carbs.

4. Micro Nutrients. Take a multi vitamin.

5. Food timing. It’s better to time meals with workouts to get the ideal results. However, you aren’t going to lose results if you don’t. Just make sure you get some protein and carbs after workouts.

6. Water. A gallon per day.

Excellent. But let me add one.

7. Be consistent. The person that can train and adhere to their plan the longest over the greatest timeline will have the most success. Most people fail because they lack a plan. The second greatest number of failures comes from that don't adhere to the plan they intended to follow.

Reactions: camotoe and Rerun7
Elliott hulse on YouTube has excellent videos.

Protein intake really should be dialed into what your trying to accomplish.