• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much slop in a mag well is acceptable?

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
Not sure if this should go here or the gun smithing section but here goes

I have a stock that has been rendered useless due to improper inletting. This happened a while ago but I'm still sitting on the stock and was going to attempt to fix things with a bedding job.

Right now if the magazine is inserted and pushed in as far as it will go and then pulled back until it hits the mag release catch I get about 50 thousandths of movement.

To me that seems like a little bit to much but not sure what the norm is. I'd like to get the proper spacing set up on the mags before I do the bedding.

CDI bottom metal and AI mags

Last edited:
I would think the bolt, riding over the feed lips, would push the magazine down as far as possible...

Not sure if this should go here or the gun smithing section but here goes

I have a stock that has been rendered useless due to improper inletting. This happened a while ago but I'm still sitting on the stock and was going to attempt to fix things with a bedding job.

Right now if the magazine is inserted and pushed in as far as it will go and then pulled back until it hits the mag release catch I get about 50 thousandths of movement.

To me that seems like a little bit to much but not sure what the norm is. I'd like to get the proper spacing set up on the mags before I do the bedding.

CDI bottom metal and AI mags

What matters is that there is no play with a LOADED mag.

bed some new pillars in the stock so that the dbm is at the right depth (mag seats, feeds). Then bed around the DBM well...ran into a similar problem while in-letting my stock myself. It was a solid fix and has worked exceptionally well for me.

The pinch points (z-axis pillar length) between the bottom metal and the bottom of the action are determined by each DBM manufacturer. In this case, contact CDI and get the dimensions for the front and back offsets. They will be different.

Then go into your stock and remove material or add material to get this distance correct at both stock bolt positions.

If the dimension is too short, your mags will not lock in place.
If the dimension is too long, your mag latch will hold the mag too low and the bolt cannot pick rounds off of the magazine.

The mags lock in the mag well. i was just wondering how much movement should there be in the magazine while its in the mag well. My Savage mags lock in tight. The CDI moves around some.

The mags lock in the mag well. i was just wondering how much movement should there be in the magazine while its in the mag well. My Savage mags lock in tight. The CDI moves around some.

Mags aren't supposed to be locked in solid.

Just function 100%

Mags are all different sizes as are magwells