• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

how much will rain effect my bullet drop

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i already have my 200 yd drop chart on my 22mag. if its raining when i shoot will that effect my drop and if so how much (i know it depends on how hard its raining) lets say the rain in straight down with no wind for arguments sake

Re: how much will rain effect my bullet drop

Surprisingly little, possibly too little to measure or matter. If anything, I think the key effect would involve visibility more than accuracy. I would work on the assumption that it's not significant, and take down any notes to the contrary.

This is an example where the mind can overcomplicate issues. Get out, shoot, and let the bullet tell you what's important.

Greg

When I lived back up in NY I'd hit up the range now matter what the weather was. I've fired my little .17 out to 200 in both rain and snow, and it never really mattered. I have a slight advantage due to the muzzle velocity of the .17, but even when I really get out there it doesn't seem to effect it too much.

light to normal rain = negligible to none

heavy rain = possibly

How's that for indecisiveness?
smile.gif

IMHO

Think we had this conversation.

I've shot many highpower matches in the rain, I've shot out to 1k in the rain - very very SELDOM does it ever affect it - and if it does rain that hard - generally you stop shooting anyway.

So no, it does not matter.

Scott (In Seattle hahah)...

thanks for the info. i have my first rimfire comp comming up and they are calling for rain. i didn't know if i should give a little extra elevation on that first round

My comments above were based on what I thought was a question about high power calibers, I'm not so sure on the low velocity rimfires.

We shot a match(50/100) in the rain last year and everyone's scores seem to have gone up. Now granted it was just a constant drizzle for 3 hours and there was no wind. It was easy shooting compared to normal. I don't remember if elevation was an issue so it probably wasn't. I hope this helps.

Eddie

Heard a good answer to this how the bullets gets lift off the rain drops and causes the bullet to fly flatter. Of courses the story was long and freshly pulled from his hind quaters. They seemed to fall for it. For a while anyway.

No change in the elevation due to the rain itself, but a sudden rainstorm in lower Alabama may lower the temp from the mid 90's to the mid 70's in just a few minutes -- that will definitely change the elevation. An overcast day with drizzle or a slight steady rain, just drive on (the rain makes a great wind indicator).

Actually, now that I think about it, my best 100 and 300 yard groups were shot in the rain. Where I was located, low pressure systems often brought with them very little wind. If it is raining with some wind, then like Spooky said, you can use that to help sight in. I used the same elevation and windage settings that I normally used when the weather was nice and without much wind.

The comment about rain and wind makes sense. Typically, the winds blow more when a front moves through bringing rain. Once the rain settles in; if the wind dies, it generally means the rain will stick around.

Greg

While shooting 1k in rain, I tend to shoot my best groups. My elevation on my 6.5x284 was affected by more can 1.75 moa at 1000 yards from the time it was dry till the front came through. I always have to dial less in rain because of the air density. The air is actually less dense when saturated with water, I.e. rain.

There was a early good conversation on this about 2 years ago. I will see if I can look it up.

Rain drops, no change. The fact that you can see the target means most paths to the target are unobstructed. The bullet is likely to make it there without even hitting a single rain drop. If it gets close enough to a rain drop to hit it, the raindrop gets pushed out of the way with no contact much like a leaf going over your car on the interstate.