• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s How not to clear a hangfire!!!

earthtrekker1775

The Prodigal Gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
PNW
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2KRzTkP-M2g"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2KRzTkP-M2g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I can't comprehend what would make someone think that is a good idea.
Hope it is not a repost.

(I am suspicious that it may be a fake. Check the sound signature of the 3 shots. Anybody know if it is real or not? The only way I can figure it could happen is only 3 rounds in gun -plugged for hunting- , 3rd round is a hangfire w/ FTE.)

Re: How not to clear a hangfire!!!

Damn... What could he possibly be thinking? or I guess he wasn't thinking.

No way.... wow...

Seems like I heard him pump after the first no fire....meaning he ejected the first dud. Then got a SECOND dud??? Guess it's possible.

No words to desrcribe.

noticed that there's no powder burns on the underside of the hat. looks fake to me.

You can see the first two empties eject but no ejection of the third round so it appears to be a failure to eject on a hang fire. There are only three targets set out so there is likely no 4th round, many states require hunting shotguns to be plugged to only except three shells.
The lack of residue on the underside of the hat brim is suspicious. Might be real but I am no expert on grainy video footage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lukeed78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">noticed that there's no powder burns on the underside of the hat. looks fake to me. </div></div>

You posted while I was typing the same. I would like to find out if it is real but I am leaning toward clever fake.

Good point about powder burns/residue on brim of hat. Definitely a fake. The powder would be OBVIOUS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point about powder burns/residue on brim of hat. Definitely a fake. The powder would be OBVIOUS. </div></div>

Assuming, say 12 gauge, and likely #6 2 3/4's?

Range of a foot, mebbe?

I've got an old hat around here somewhere, we'll test that theory this weekend.......

Well at first I thought it was a fake.

Now I have to ask, why would someone do this?

Other than it's stupid.

Why would someone look DOWN the barrel vs taking and looking up the chamber.

Still not 100% convinced it's real, at 0:44 and 0:45 the weapon moves by itself but it "Could" be advanced recoil LOL

I can't ever say I've experienced a hang fire, so this may be a stupid question... but can a hang fire delay that long? Whether the video is fake or not, is something like that actually possible?.. several seconds of delay then fire?

fake, would you upload it? about yourself? no way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe40x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an after thought...Yup... there are people that stupid...I work with a few! </div></div>

THAT's the truth...one almost killed me.

Was invited to a public range by a "friend" from work, he showed up with his damn waterheaded wife.

She loaded a rifle behind me while I was at the bench.....

Took a shit load of that fine crushed gravel all up and down my right side from the round hitting the ground mere inches behind my right heel.

It dawned on me later she could have just as easily run that 6.5 through my kidneys, or spine, or noggin, as not.

That was some years back and I've been VERY choosy about my shooting "partners" since.......

I don't know whether this is fake or not, but anyone hanging their hat on "no one is that stupid" is bound to have a lot of disappointment in life.

Natural Selection at its finest..would of made the vid better if his head turned to mist

I had a female on the firing line turn to ask me a question...while rotating the pistol with her line of sight (i.e. at me), loaded, off safe, finger on trigger. Needless to say we had words, following the not so gentle reflex of redirecting her point of aim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know whether this is fake or not, but anyone hanging their hat on "no one is that stupid" is bound to have a lot of disappointment in life. </div></div>

Quoted for the truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know whether this is fake or not, but anyone hanging their hat on "no one is that stupid" is bound to have a lot of disappointment in life. </div></div>

I think I'm going to put this in my sig line. So so true...

F*CK!!!! Thanks to people taking videos of their complete disregard of the rules of firearm safety we will never be without something to talk about here.

Damn he was lucky...

It's fake. Listen to the first two shots then listen to the last shot, where he blows his hat off. The sound for the last shot was added but cut short. What you don't see is the air hose along the side of the shotgun that blows the guys hat off.

yeah it looks like a fake to me too. The angle of the barrel and the angle of his head do not work out to the hole in his hat. The sound has also been dubbed in and like someone else said it sounds cut short and different than the other two shots.

Even if he "knew" the gun was unloaded and the video's fake, I still think it's a damn stupid idea to point the muzzle of a gun at your own face. To me, he's a huge idiot either way.

I call BS, fake. You can hear him eject the hangfire then had another. No powder burns on hat as well. In slomo, the gun barrel appears to move right before it goes off, editing job on the video.

He needs his butt examined, that is where his brain is. I would say FAKE.

Too bad its fake, otherwise it would be a thin the herd fail.

Flyingbullseye

I do know a fellow that went deer hunting for the first time with his dad. He got no instruction from his dad except climb into the tree stand with your slug gun and kill what comes along. He loaded his shotgun, tied a rope to the trigger guard of the gun, climbed the tree and pulled the shotgun up. Rope pulled the trigger and the slug went through the bill of his hat. True story. He never told his dad. Wow

Funny to watch all the youtube people who are making videos and they end shooting themselves,looking down a barrel. Just being a dumb ass. That is one of the things you learn when you are a kid is safety,safety, and safety.
Took a conceal class with a group years ago. Holy shit. I had to watch both sides. One had to borrow a gun and the other 2 where dumb as a box of rocks.

Just proves guns are safe but not the dumb ass using it.

I definitely think this is a fake. There wouldn't even be a reason to look down the barrel. If you have a failure you would be more concerned with the action, not whats down the barrel. Plus things would be burned up pretty bad including his face.

We had a french guy look down the barrel of a 357 Sig at my local range after firing three shots to see if any thing was stuck in there because it didn't "Sound" right

A shotgun is not a handgun.

Powders like AA #9, W-W 296 and Blue Dot all "pepper" more than shotgun powders do.

The distance for powder marks can be as short as a few inches. Shotgun barrels give a lot more room to burn it all, and the smaller charges don't behave like rifle cartridges do.

HS Video makes clear that firearm parts are a flexin' away as the bullet or charge goes down the barrel. Simple physics, Newtonian I think. That recoil flex saved the guy's life.

The image coming out the muzzle is also consistent with a shot charge, not with a compressed air charge. And if someone wanted to fake such a video, it would be a supreme waste of creative talent (not that I haven't seen THAT sort of misdirected energy before...). Betcha a frame-by frame examination at high magnification would fail to identify any traces of Photoshop or other editing.

God was not done with this fellow's time on earth yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shotgun is not a handgun.

Powders like AA #9, W-W 296 and Blue Dot all "pepper" more than shotgun powders do.

The distance for powder marks can be as short as a few inches. Shotgun barrels give a lot more room to burn it all, and the smaller charges don't behave like rifle cartridges do.

HS Video makes clear that firearm parts are a flexin' away as the bullet or charge goes down the barrel. Simple physics, Newtonian I think. That recoil flex saved the guy's life.

The image coming out the muzzle is also consistent with a shot charge, not with a compressed air charge. And if someone wanted to fake such a video, it would be a supreme waste of creative talent (not that I haven't seen THAT sort of misdirected energy before...). Betcha a frame-by frame examination at high magnification would fail to identify any traces of Photoshop or other editing.

God was not done with this fellow's time on earth yet.

</div></div>

Interesting point about the powders. I have an old hat and a 12 gauge, I am going to test this out tomorrow and post the results. Sorry gents, I will not be wearing the hat for the test.
The biggest indicator for possibly being a fake video is the sound signature of the 3 shots. All the other variables can be explained readily. I haven't figured out a reasonable explanation for the sounds.

Well thank god he was wearing the orange vest so nobody else would shoot him!!! guess he didnt plan on doing it himself!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The biggest indicator for possibly being a fake video is the sound signature of the 3 shots. All the other variables can be explained readily. I haven't figured out a reasonable explanation for the sounds. </div></div>

Can't know if this is fake or not but the shots at the bottles were directed away from the camera and included a "hit"; the shot through the hat was directed straight up with a different sound signature "visable" to the microphone. The accoustics are naturally going to be different. That, and I'm betting since the video quality is shit the audio quality is shit too.

Sorry, but it's that extra rack between the 3rd shot and the kaboom that makes me call fake. Let's see. Bang. Bang. Click. eject click. pause........ bang?
Nope, I don't believe it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, but it's that extra rack between the 3rd shot and the kaboom that makes me call fake. Let's see. Bang. Bang. Click. eject click. pause........ bang?
Nope, I don't believe it. </div></div>

Saw a post somewhere on this subject where that was explained, something to do with the mechanics of the pump action r.e. disconnector, and the hammer falling. All it could take is a little piece of something in the fire control to cause the hammer to not fall immediately. He did return the bolt to battery on the second rack instead of leaving the action open...so it's plausable if it was also a failure to eject and the live round stayed in the chamber.

Maybe this idiot doesn't believe in keeping his firearms clean and functional..........

It looks like he missed the target with his first shot unless I saw wrong. Damn! You could anticipate what was about to happen. I was waiting for brain matter to spray out of his head!!!

I tested the scenario on one of my hats this afternoon. The video is uploading now, I will post it in a bit. Tested it with a 12 gauge and a .45 ACP. Interesting results.

Here is the video. Keep in mind it is rather un-scientific but we tried to get the distance and the barrel length as close as possible. The markings around the 12 gauge hole are from the wadding, it showed up well with the HD camera but there was no powder burn or peppering around the hole from the shot. The pistol shot was for comparison and had a good amount of peppering even when shot at close to 18 inches from the hat.
Enjoy.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/earthtrekker1775?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/vN7R6dRtmMs[/video]

Well that takes the "powder burn" out of the equation.....

Lucky to be alive if it's real.

Last year a guy up this way shot off a few fingers by putting his cap on (first)... & then packing powder & bullet during muzzle loading season.
Was on the news. I believe it was in Duffield Va.

Not the cap on his head...