• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How often are you cleaning your BMR?

idahoron

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2022
Idaho
I do a lot of pest shooting as a side hussle. I normally carry at least 3 guns in the truck while I'm working.

#1 short range
I normally shoot an Air rifle from 20 yards to 50. I only clean this rifle if the accuracy drops off.

#2 medium range 50 to 150
I use a CZ455 17HMR for this distance. Again this rifle I clean the bore when accuracy drops off. That's about 150 to 200 rounds.

#3 Long range 150 to 400 yards
For this I use a CZ527 varmint 17 Whore-net.
This one can go 150 to 200 between cleaning.

I just got a Bergara BMR 22lr to add to the fun.
Some farmers require me to use Air rifle. And that's fine for me. Some farmers will allow what ever I want to use to do the job. I have a suppressor that should be here before I have to go back to work this spring.
I'm thinking that several of my work areas I will be abe to use a suppressed 22lr.
I have really never shot 22lr like this so I have no idea how often I will have to clean it and the suppressor.

I don't have a BMR. But I can't imagine my Tikka is much different. I don't shoot at paper enough to use the "when accuracy falls off" criteria. So I just clean gun and can every 1000 rounds.

Reactions: idahoron
Have a B14R carbon and clean the chamber after every outing plus a dry patch to get the swampiness out. Have a CZ457 and, well, it doesn't care. Clean it when I remember to! But seriously, I went to long on the B14R (400-ish rounds?) and had a round that felt "grind-y". Started attending to the chamber every outing after that.

If you clean the barrel, you will need to re-foul it before your zero/accuracy returns. Most 22's like to be dirty. I clean the bolt and action to keep it smooth and well lubricated, but I won't clean the barrel very often...maybe every 1,000 rounds.

Now, a suppressor is a different animal. If you don't clean a suppressor very often, the carbon buildup tends to turn into a cement, and you won't be able to disassemble without difficulty. I clean my 22 suppressors after every shooting session.

Cleaning the action after every outing. Gotta make sure it stays functioning properly.

Cleaning the barrel every 500-1000. Might run a bore snake through it between cleaning intervals to keep the grime down.

Cleaning the suppressor every 1000 minimum. With 22lr it gets real dirty. Some guys will clean it after each match ~200 rounds. I am just to lazy for that and like my junk dirty.

Reactions: nikonNUT