• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how old do you think these primers are?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
I'm loading up some ammo for a friend of mine using some 15 year old large rifle magnum primers I've had knocking around. Of the 50 round I loaded for him (this is the dreaded .416 rem mag I hate so much to load for) one failed to ignite. Don't know if it's the old primers or just his funky rifle but I told him to go find some fresh primers since all I had in magnums was the old stuff.

His 'contact' at the local gun shop sold him this box of 100 primers. Doesn't look anything like the CCI boxes I've seen anytime in the last bunch of years. Is this just some retro packaging, or are these even older than the stuff I've already got? Couldn't find any way to decode the date code with google.

old_primers_1.jpg

old_primers_2.jpg

Re: how old do you think these primers are?

I have some like that with a fedmart price sticker on them. They went out of business
in 1972.

Honestly, unless the primers have been abused or stored incorrectly they should work for 100 or more years.

Is he taking this rifle dangerous game hunting? If not, I really wouldn't worry about it, just have him go shoot the ammo and if they start to misfire set them aside. Pull them down and load 'em up again.

For primers that old though, the gun shop better not have charged him "new" prices at $7/100 or something crazy like they do around here.

test one then use the rest
I have used some old primers from 36 years ago and there good to go .
As long as they are stored correctly

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, unless the primers have been abused or stored incorrectly they should work for 100 or more years.

Is he taking this rifle dangerous game hunting? If not, I really wouldn't worry about it, just have him go shoot the ammo and if they start to misfire set them aside. Pull them down and load 'em up again.

For primers that old though, the gun shop better not have charged him "new" prices at $7/100 or something crazy like they do around here. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, unless the primers have been abused or stored incorrectly they should work for 100 or more years.</div></div>

What's the optimal way to store primers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is he taking this rifle dangerous game hunting? </div></div>

Actually he is, going to Africa in 2010. I don't think he's going to use the ammo I'm loading though, this is just practice ammo.

I dread the thought of having to fire that thing over the chrono to try to replicate the factory loading.

IIRC, Omark was one of the many names to eventually be absorbed under ATK. The last time I saw that name as new stock was the early eighties. But I bought several boxes of primers with Omark on there back in the 70's.

Omark Industries was sold to Blount in 1985. So the box is at least older than that.

Those are newer than some of the CCI primers I have. I know I have some from the late 60's from the guy I got them from. I use them for some of my 270 Win hunting loads with no issues. Accuracy was very good, as well. If they are stored properly, then they will out last us.

Jayne,
Store them in a ammo can in a dry cool place and thrown in a couple of the desiccant packs. They will keep for a long time if stored properly.

If you want to put them in long term storage you can vacuum seal them with a food saver.

I found some I had forgotten that are in the same packaging from around 1972! No special storage over all those years and several moves.

Mine go bang!

FWIW, I had 4K of the CCI 450 (small rifle magnum) that I bought back in the mid 90's for .223 Rem loads (boxes looked just like yours). For the life of me I could not seat them flush of below the head of the case. I called CCI and was told that they had a batch that were out of round. My lot numbers confirmed that I indeed had out of round primers. Based on today's prices, I'm bummed that I had to drown them in oil and get rid of them.

CCI is quite helpful if you call them with any concerns. It is surprising that a dealer still has primers that old still in stock! The lot number cold be deciphered by CCI and the manufacture date might be interesting. Mine had the same style packaging and were from the mid 1980's I believe.

When I started loading about 1957 or thereabouts my Dad had about 5M laid in of Winchester in the wooden ammo trays and cardboard sleeves from the 40s. I finished them off about 68 or so.
The other day I found a 1000 box of Herters small rifle primers. I have been loading them in reduced loads for 223 and so far have been through about 700 with no problems. I think Herters went out of business in 73? time frame?? They have been stored exposed to the air (not good) as the box shows age.
When folks ask about how I store I tell them 5M cases in 20MM can, 1M sleeves in 30 cal cans.

Jayne-

My primers are stored in a plastic ammo can (not metal) with all those little desicant packs that come in pill bottles. I only keep out primers that I'm in the active practice of reloading from, and the stuff I have stored doesn't get opened or messed with until I need a fresh 1000 to sit on the shelf.

Basically low humitidy with minimal temperature swings. Keep 'em in the house where you're comfortable living and they will last for many many years.

If you're reloading Africa ammo for him I think it would be rather foolish to base a trophy hunt on bargain basement components. How many thousands is the hunt going to cost him against paying retail prices on a fresh reloading components and high quality bullets.

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to the guy with the .416 today (delivered the loads made with his 'vintage' primers) and apparently the shop owner gave him these from his private stash. Primers around here are almost impossible to find in stock.

Glad I get mine from PV!

I've got 3000 CCI BR2 from '08 I can load up for my .308, the rest will be sealed away in an ammo can per the common wisdom.