• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes How rugged are the Athlon Cronus scopes?

@Yoteski

I'm simply providing the OP with information relevant to the question he posed. Seems pretty reasonable to reference information I read first-hand on this forum in other threads related to the same topic. The first thing I did in my post was qualify where I read the information I was providing so OP could assign the weight he felt appropriate to it and/or even look it up himself if he wanted.

Where is your substantive contribution to this thread? Or are you just policing the forums here?

Well, I read first hand accounts about guys running Schmidts that failed, so they're trash too, right?
Athlon's price points reflect the market segment they're pursuing. I am actually going back to a Cronus BTR because I feel it offers an incredible bang for the buck. Do I expect it to perform to the level as the Nightforce ATACR I've been running? Possibly, but they're two completely different price points. Glass wise, the Athlon Cronus competes with the Nightforce. Tracking and robustness wise can only be determined with use. But, at least I've owned both.

As a Cronus owner I've been following closely their performance and comments on various forums, and for the most part, they seem to be more favorable than not.

I've had no concerns with mine, but then again, I don't abuse it. It does have approximately 1500 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor worth of experience.

@Yoteski

I'm simply providing the OP with information relevant to the question he posed. Seems pretty reasonable to reference information I read first-hand on this forum in other threads related to the same topic. The first thing I did in my post was qualify where I read the information I was providing so OP could assign the weight he felt appropriate to it and/or even look it up himself if he wanted.

Where is your substantive contribution to this thread? Or are you just policing the forums here?

You didn't reference any information. You gave an anecdotal response based on something you think you read, and have no further knowledge or information about.

Last edited:
You didn't reference any information. You gave an anecdotal repose based on something you think you read, and have no further knowledge or information about.

I do not want to derail OPs thread any further. Like I said before, I provided the only relevant information I had and explained the source of it so others could weigh it accordingly. This is the internet, we're not writing a fully cited thesis here. Anyways, thank you for the opportunity to get my post count up, I'm getting closer to the exchange forum every day! If anyone would like to express additional disapproval over my comment, please feel free to message me directly. Thanks.

Rather than start a new thread I’ll redirect this thread to allow consolidation of the information. I’ve been reading as many opinion threads on scopes as I can and have been researching in other areas. Thanks darklordofoptics for your efforts to document scope qualities and general information.

It is apparent from my limited experience with the few scopes mentioned and what I have gleaned from threads that there is a great deal of subjectivity in opinions on scopes. That isn’t a negative comment, just an observation based in the idea that there are too many variables between individuals perception for it to be otherwise.

A scope in my PRICE range is the Cronus BTR. I’ve seen this scope frequently compared to the Gen 2 Razor concerning lens equality. There is obviously strong opinion either way. What is the subjective difference from those who have used both scopes? It seems to me based on my interpretation of what I’ve read that there isn’t a drastic difference between what you see through the tube. Is this the real life experience of those who have used both?

The SWFA 5-20 keeps coming up as a solid scope, repeatably consistent. Can anyone give an approximation of how the glass compares to a DMR II? Or the Athlon Argos BTR? These are two scopes that I can use as a reference point.

Thanks

The SWFA 5-20 keeps coming up as a solid scope, repeatably consistent. Can anyone give an approximation of how the glass compares to a DMR II? Or the Athlon Argos BTR? These are two scopes that I can use as a reference point.
I have not looked through a DMR II, but I have looked through the ERS. And I have only looked through an Argos for a short while at the range in a fellow shooter's rifle. That being said, I own an SWFA HD and I think it's clearly superior to the Athlon Argos, and it was IMHO, slightly better than the ERS, which is allegedly not as good as a DMR II. So my guess is that the SWFA HD and DMR II are roughly equal. Disclaimer: I am just not as big of a fan of Athlon's glass as many of the Athlon fans on this forum. I've looked at a little over half their lineup at the range (haven't seen the Ares, Midas, or Cronus IIRC) at one point or another and didn't find most of them to be exceptionally good for the price range. They weren't bad per se, but not good enough to justify going with a Chinese-made scope over more robust options from Japan and Philippines with equivalent optical quality.

Reactions: LR184 and Bender
2a8on5.jpg

I've been running one for about 6 months, love it so far shooting club matches and a NRL match. Good scope and I haven't had an issue with it.

I live in flyover country. My ability to sample scopes is limited to say the least. My first and best option is to search the internet and ask questions on on forums before I spend a good chunk of money on a scope.

If you guys want to clutter up threads with pointless posts aimed at each other please take it elsewhere.
This kind of crap is why threads get off the rails and die. I’m just asking for common courtesy. I hope that isn’t too “heavy for you”.

I live in flyover country. My ability to sample scopes is limited to say the least. My first and best option is to search the internet and ask questions on on forums before I spend a good chunk of money on a scope.

If you guys want to clutter up threads with pointless posts aimed at each other please take it elsewhere.
This kind of crap is why threads get off the rails and die. I’m just asking for common courtesy. I hope that isn’t too “heavy for you”.

Last edited:
If your standard for comparison are the swfa/DMR then youll like the cronus btr very much. If you want to compare it to an argos thats like asking if the honda civic is comparable to a porsche 911. Youll be very impressed with the cronus.

I say that the cronus is the best value higher end optic and is adequately robust for anything you will be doing with it short of a week in afganistan playing lone survivor. Just get one already and be pleased with it.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Not to continue throwing out other options for you, but if the Cronus is in your price range, Gen 2 Razors and Tango 6s are not far off either.

I have had all 3 and prefer both Gen 2s over the Cronus. Not to say the Cronus was bad by any means, but where it has issues (clarity, tight eye box at higher magnifications), the others do not.

That being said, it seemed ‘robust enough’ as others have said, glass is ‘good enough,’ and it tracked true. Most anything else is entirely subjective when it comes to optics, so get whatever you can afford and run it hard. Most manufacturers warranties are very good anymore, and on the off chance that you do run into issues with the Athlon or any scope for that matter, rest assured it will be taken care of.

Athalon has a video shooting with a cronus on a 50bmg. They say they are rated for 50bmg. How much more robust do you need?

Patriot and Just browsing,

Thanks for the info. Y'all are getting to the heart of what I'm thinking, "Should I just go ahead and spend the marginal difference" and buy a different brand even if used? That's why I'm trying to determine reference points that make sense within my exposure to different scope models.

I have had the opportunity to look through NSX Xx15, ATACR x x25 models. The difference I see there is the improved quality of glass and eye box on the ATACR. Also a Gen 2 Razor x x18 power. Really good glass. To my eye under cloudy conditions mid day outside a store it was a bit sharper than the ATACR. Even though very subjective I'm trying to establish a bit of a hierarchy based on the scopes I've had access to.

KB. I'm definitely convinced that the Cronus BTR is tough enough for the use I'll give it. I'll be nowhere close to challenging it like the BMG does.

I really like my Cronus, and it’s held up well for what I use it for. In my opinion it is one of the best scopes on the market for the money. That being said, I would still like to upgrade to an ATACR or an s&b eventually. But for the money, the Cronus is great, tough, and very robust.

Have Razor Genii, Steiner t5xi, NIghtforce Nxs, Bushnell ERS, Leupold Mark 4, a Cronus BTR and some lower scopes.

I just picked up my 2nd Cronus BTR, because for what I do they are hard to beat for the price. To me the Steiner did have better clicks but the BTR clicks are pretty good as well.

Really kind of depends on what you are going to do and how much you really want to spend. I would love to have some Schmidt And Bender's but for what I do I cannot justify the cost "yet" :)

SO what others have been saying just buy the Cronus, you will be happy with it.

Chad

I really like the Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 and Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 scopes that I have. The glass is nice, and so far, the tracking has been very good.
I shot out to a mile last weekend with the Cronus and my IOR Valdada Recon 4-28x50 scopes, and the Cronus wasn't too far behind the IOR scope through my eyes.