• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How`s the Krieger barrels been doing?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Seems like some Krieger barrels I`ve got in the past shoot great and some doesn`t. Getting ready for new build and was wondering how`s the current Krieger`s been doing? I`m not waiting 9 months for Bartlein or 6 months for Brux. I have found some button barrels in stock but I don`t want button barrel.

Re: How`s the Krieger barrels been doing?

I would wait on a Bartlein or a Rock Creek if it was me.

If I'm not mistaken tac ops exclusively uses kreiger barrels. That says a lot right there for a guy like me.

APA built an AR 10 for me. I really haven't shot it yet but the test target is basically one hole at 100

Mine will shoot sub 1/2 MOA and wouldn't hesitate calling them if I ever got one that didn't shoot to my standards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wait on a Bartlein or a Rock Creek if it was me. </div></div>

Why?

Surgeon Rifles and Tac Ops, among others, use Krieger barrels exclusively.

I would rather be more selective in the Gunsmith who would be doing the work.

Buy the barrel that has the least wait time, that's if you can't seem to find it from (i.e 6mmar, bugholes, grizzly, etc). It will be difficult to notice the difference from many of the barrel makers these days.

Excellent!
I have yet to get a bad blank from them. 30cal, 6mm, 6.5mm and 338cal mostly but all have been wonderful right out of the gate.

I have however had rifles sent to my shop with Krieger and other brands that had poor chamber and/or muzzle work done by someone else. No brand of barrel will overcome a poorly spec'd chamber or bad machining.

I have had zero reason to look elsewhere.
Good luck either way with your project.

1020 rounds on my 6.5 Kreiger 5R and it still shoot better than I ever could. I will be re-barreling with another Kreiger when the time comes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1020 rounds on my 6.5 Kreiger 5R and it still shoot better than I ever could. I will be re-barreling with another Kreiger when the time comes. </div></div>
Good to know. Just saw one sitting on the shelf at Bruno shooter supply. 29" 6.5mm 5R , target contour, in 8.5 twist. He said he just got it in and a guy just left to talk to his gunsmith about doing a build off of it.
I said, "sucks to be that guy!", threw $350 on the counter and walked out. It's sitting at Phoenix custom rifles now waiting on a Savage re-barrel. Going Remmington 260. hope it shoots lights out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent!
I have yet to get a bad blank from them. 30cal, 6mm, 6.5mm and 338cal mostly but all have been wonderful right out of the gate.

I have however had rifles sent to my shop with Krieger and other brands that had poor chamber and/or muzzle work done by someone else. No brand of barrel will overcome a poorly spec'd chamber or bad machining.

</div></div>
The man speaketh...My KMW with Krieger Barrel has practically no cold bore deviation. Terry, you are the man...

You said you won't wait 9 months for Bartlein or 6 months for Brux. What makes you think Krieger is any quicker?

I have a krieger on my 7mm08 and it shoots very sub moa with everything I have tried so far.

call Grizzly and get your Bartlein shipped that day...I'll be getting their 30cal M40 bbl delivered to Dixon next week (ordered it today)

check out their site...maybe they carry what you want.

when you're thinking of using one of the top makers...doubt there will be any difference in accuracy. At this point it's personal preference and how long do you want to wait

Got a Krieger in my 6BR that shoots in the mid 0.1s if I do my part. Love it!!

6bra_zps721a7b16.jpg

Grizzly doesn`t have what I want in stock. Neither does Bruno`s. I found a Krieger in stock at a certain place but it seems like Brux and Bartlein have been getting good quality steel lately. There are other barrels out there but the quality has been low for sometime. I don`t want a barrel that only averages 1/2 moa, I want 1/4moa max.

Bartline, Kreiger, Obermeyer, Rock Creek...all capable of 1/4 MOA.

What chamber are you going with?

What action is this going on?

284 (6.5x284 Lapua brass necked up). Throated for 180gr Berger Hybrid. Action will be left hand single shot OLD Lawton 7500. Don`t want no Rock Creek or Oby.

Check bugholes.com!

Amazing customer service, great items in stock too. He has several Brux and even more bartleins!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent!

</div></div>
The man speaketh...My KMW with Krieger Barrel has practically no cold bore deviation. Terry, you are the man... </div></div>

I agree with these guys^^^. I just sent my rifle off to get re-barreled after 8700 plus of .308. rifle was still holding 3/4 of minute and sometimes a little better. Old barrel was a # 10 MTU 1-11.25 @ 24. New barrel will be #10 MTU 1-11.25 5R @ 22 threaded 5/8 x 24. Called Krieger one day and they had it in stock. No wait time for this guy. Got lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t want no Rock Creek or Oby.</div></div>
Any reason?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don`t want no Rock Creek or Oby.</div></div>
Any reason?</div></div>

I would like to know why as well, all of my Rock barrels have been great and they stand behind their stuff 100%

Krieger on my 308 doesn't have a high round count but it shoots clean or dirty same POI. I've never had a barrel that will do that. I've never had a custom rifle until last year either. I would buy another in a minute.

my 6mm krieger is a 243AI 200 rounds old shooting 2" ay 600 yards.

My wifes 243 with a krieger. Seems to be doing just fine.

300 yards. Poa was the shield.
48B91A42-B03A-4C4B-8650-630D64BB17BA-14625-000002E63BB5C185.jpg

I have one on a .223 SPR rifle and it's a hammer. Barrel has well over 2500 rounds down the tube and still shoots 1/2 moa with 75gr BTHPs. I'm very happy with Krieger. However, there are a lot of good barrel makers out there. Don't get fooled into thinking that only one barrel maker has the magic formula for precision. Benchmark, Lilja, Heart, Broughton, Brux, Schneider, Shillen, and Rock Creek all make superb barrels, and I would have no reservations about using any of them on a build.

Fortunately I've never had a Krieger that didn't shoot well but this is my best one. It's a 30 cal, 30", 9 twist, chambered in 30-375R, sending 230 bergers HB's at 2960 FPS. When it was new I shot a group .080" wide at 100Y.

960Y

photobucket-2468-1320355501955.jpg

Ask the hundreds of prairie dogs Ive shot with my Surgeon Scalpel. Wait a second.....they are dead I guess you cant ask them....and they are prairie dogs and wont understand you.....hmmmmmm.....Kreiger barrels will shoot better than most people can.

Hmm, new Kreiger .244, 8-twist barrel on the way. I did want a Baertline, but couldn't find one after searching for some time.

I have no doubt the barrel will be fine, but the onus is upon me to do a top-notch job of fitting it to the action, clambering, etc.

When I get it up and loads developed, perhaps I'll post to show how well she does.

Cheers... Jim...

I have a 4 groove Krieger 1:7.7t chambered by Short Action Customs that was sent off for melonite and I am getting 2-2.4 inch 5-6 shot groups at 400 yards with 23.9 of Accurate 2520 behind a 77SMK @ 2.25oal.

This ^ is an AR platform.
Seekins Precision IRMT3 Upper
Seekins Billet lower

I know that most top name barrel makers makes great barrels. I was wanting updates on new Krieger barrels that was just recently bought. I remember a few years ago they got some bad steel and alot of shooters on the circuit was afraid of buying one until that batch of steel was gone. Had a Rock Creek barrel chambered in 6mmBRX and after 500 rounds, throat erosion was terrible. That particular cartridge is known for long barrel life and I guess that was just bad steel also. So far Brux has been making some very accurate barrels but I found a Krieger in stock and was tempted to buy.

I bought 4 Krieger in 2012 and had rifles built with each.
They all shoot incredibly and clean superbly.
I have three more Krieger on order
laugh.gif

Just had a switch barrel built. One in 22-6mmIMP and the other 6.5-284 both lay em right in there.

Good to know 243 build getting 1:7.5 krieger vmt contour. Hope it's a tack driver!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ezee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to know 243 build getting 1:7.5 krieger vmt contour. Hope it's a tack driver!</div></div>

you going with the Ackley?

Not that its that big of a deal, but I won my states F/TR championship last year with a Kreiger, 4 grove, 11 twist, palma 95 reamer.

I would think that any of the big names barrels will out shot the shooter in most cases and are all great barrels capable of fantastic accuracy. Just my humble opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Streak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that its that big of a deal, but I won my states F/TR championship last year with a Kreiger, 4 grove, 11 twist, palma 95 reamer.

I would think that any of the big names barrels will out shot the shooter in most cases and are all great barrels capable of fantastic accuracy. Just my humble opinion.</div></div>

I kinda agree, my gun is shooting as tight as I can hold, about 1/3 MOA out to 600 with bipod and rear bag, haven't shot it from a nice adjustable rest...

If you search around you shouldnt have to much trouble finding a barrel blank in stock. Check grizzly machine, bug holes etc. I bought my 6.5 barrel blank from them.