• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How safely remove a dud primer?

FORESTBARBER

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Had a .338lm round that went click/no boom in my AI rifle.

Waited a minute or so and ejected round. Primer was struck hard and not seated too deep.

I reloaded it and tried again with same result.

I have pulled the bullet and powder, but how do I safely remove the defective primer?

Man up, put on eye and ear protection and use decapper?

CCI large magnum primer.

Re: How safely remove a dud primer?

If you're really worried, put a couple of drops of oil on the primer, and that will make it inert.

Oil wont do shit. Just wear eye protection and deprime it as if it was used. I have never had one go off on me.

Run it through your FL die normally, it's a tiny primer not a stick of dynamite.

Been doing it when necessary for the last 30+ years. Never had one go off. Go slow if nervous as previously mentioned.

Also, do this with the full realization that no reloading manual will ever recommend this practice !!!

Paul

Decap using the above precautions, and please, empty the primer feed first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run it through your FL die normally, it's a tiny primer not a stick of dynamite. </div></div>

I've had one go off and it's makes a pretty good boom

A boxer primer is engineered to ignite only from a high-speed blow in a specific direction:

boxerprimer.jpg

Decapping involves a low speed pressure from the wrong direction so it's highly unlikely to set it off. I screw up a lot when reloading so I've gotten over being nervous about it, but I always wear safety glasses, keep my fingers out of the line of fire and move aside all the stuff on the bench that could go bang.

Wear some eye protection!!! Maybe a little bit of water in the case?

Regular ol' FL die and a slow pressure. If the primer didn't go off after being hit multiple times in the intended direction, then I'd think it wasn't constructed properly to begin with and it won't go off ever.

Regular safety precautions...eye pro for sure, and ear pro if your hearing is still at a level that's worth protecting.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I've had one go off and it's makes a pretty good boom"</span>

Boom? The couple I've set off, of some few hundered live caps I've removed during some 45 years of reloading, made a sharp snap as one should expect but certainly not a boom. Since a Full Lenth sizer die is a closed top steel cylinder nothing came out to blind me and nothing came passed the shell holder to blow my arms or legs off either.
grin.gif
??

<span style="font-style: italic">"You need to wear your bomb squad bomb suit when doing this."</span>

That's called "tongue in cheek" humor.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"I've had one go off and it's makes a pretty good boom"</span>

Boom? The couple I've set off, of some few hundered live caps I've removed during some 45 years of reloading, made a sharp snap as one should expect but certainly not a boom. Since a Full Lenth sizer die is a closed top steel cylinder nothing came out to blind me and nothing came passed the shell holder to blow my arms or legs off either.
grin.gif
??

<span style="font-style: italic">"You need to wear your bomb squad bomb suit when doing this."</span>

That's called "tongue in cheek" humor.
whistle.gif

</div></div>
Yes, I have been watching "The Hurt Locker" to get mentally prepared for this!:)

"I have been watching "The Hurt Locker" to get mentally prepared for this!:)"

Buck up, it won't hurt long!
laugh.gif