• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How short can you cut a Remington 700pss .308 barrel.

adb77

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
I have a 26” Remington 700pss. I had it threaded and the smith screwed it up. I would like to cut it down to 18” or 20” at the most. I run 175smk’s in this gun and would like to keep using these. Will the factory 1-12 twist stabilize these bullets at this barrel length?

In the old days of IHMSA when the rams were still set full foot, many shooters used .308’s. Max barrel length was 15 inches. Plenty of horsepower, too much actually even for full footed rams. Shooting a 4.5 pound.308 handgun without a brake for 40 rounds in an hour can be a bit tough on a fellows wrist, however many did. One fellow was even shooting an XP in .458 American (a .458 Winchester magnum cut down to 2.5 inches) but I digress.

The .308 should be great at 18 inches, even 16 inches, but the 1-12 twist is going to limit you regardless of barrel length.