• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How short can you go in 30-06?

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
I am considering sticking w/ 30-06 on my rem 700 rebuild. The weapon will be carried for 300- 400 yrd shots.
Can I go down to 18" and maintain accuracy? Goal is to be compact and fitted w/ suppressor.

If not what caliber do you suggest?
P.s. I know I speak for a lot of people when I say thank you to all the gun smiths who take time to provide your expertise on this forum!

Trauma1

Ok bro, what are you going to use it for? Target shooting to under 500 yards, or target and hunting? Target only, then save your self in a few ways. Have a 223 built to shoot 80 grain bullets. Hunting also, then a 308 will more than do the job at 500 yards. The more specific you are as to it's use, the better everyone can answer you. I just answered two of many different choices you can make. I have a 223 that was built for the 80 SMKs, and I wear the paint off the 6 inch spinners at 565 yards all day.

When suppressor is attached will you be running sub-sonic rounds or 200 grn class bullets. Reason I am asking is that cartridge carries a lot of powder for a short barrel and a suppressor. I think for an 06, the shortest I would go would be in the 22"-24" range in order to avoid pre-mature fouling of your suppressor. Re barrel it to .308 and have it cut to 18".

You can go to 20 inches, hell you could go to 16 and not loose accuracy, what you do loose is velocity.

20 inches would be fine and you won't suffer too much loss in velocity and then find a short fat can and you will have what you are looking for.

Thank you for your input.
The purpose will be majority of time on range then hunting. Since i have a long action in rem 700 and LA chassis I am trying to utilize what is available to me.
I am conditioned to the bigger calibers. Are you guys suggesting a 308 built on a long action?

Trauma1

I have a 22" 30-06, a 18" and a 20". I would never go below 20" again it essentially lowered the speed to well below a 308.

I have a 16" .30-06 but it's dedicated for subsonic usage with a suppressor... With full power loads accuracy was fine out to 600 yards...I don't shoot it that way very much since I have other rifles for that..

Thank u Frogman. That is impressive. What is the drop on a subsonic round at 600

Trauma1

Dunno... I've only taken the subsonics out to 330yards... Cant remember dope at the moment... Full power loads 208 amax out to 600 yards I couldn't remember either but probably around 4 -5mils or so..