• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How short on a 308 barrel? Range Report in

Re: How short on a 308 barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1720</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just 10-43 I have a Rem 700 w/ 20 inch Barrel. I use fed 168gr GMM and mine starts to tumble at around 800 yards. I would would not sacrifice the little bit of weight your going to loose for the accuracy! Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision. </div></div>Right, but would 168 GMM NOT tumble at 800 with a 26 inch barrel? I think the issue is the 168 Sierra at that range, not the barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That makes sense. Do you think varget is better in that respect? </div></div>

Couldn't say. I've always used RL-15 in my .308's with good results. I plan on trying some Varget soon though. I just know that a inconsistent powder is worthless to me, I don't care what speeds it produces.

IMR 4064 42.5 grns (.2grns over book max)
CCI BR-2 Large Rifle Primers
Winchester brass FL Resized trimmed to 2.00
190SMK (B.C .520-.530)
2.775 OAL
2525FPS Av. W/ 22" remington Barrel.
2.8 MIL wind drift @ 1000yards w/ 10MPH cross wind

168grn SMK (.460 B.C) going 2700FPS w/ 26" barrel and 45.0grns of varget (which is 2.0grns over book max but suggested by VARGET) = 3.0Mils wind drift @ 1000yards w/ 10MPH cross wind

Both loads calculated under the same conditions.

The 190 does better against the wind and you can get good velocity with the short barrel w/ out using hotter loads. I wish I would have tried this load with a 26" barrel. I bet you get the 2600FPS or better.