• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How similar is the various Mil-Spec NATO brass?

punkwood2k

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2013
Green Valley Ranch, CO
I have a lot of once-fired brass.. Most of it is Lake City of various years, but also a lot of some SBS, PMJ (NATO cross), and some random others I've never seen.. I'm wondering that since NATO mil-spec all has to meet the same specs, will these various headstamps have pretty close to the same volume? What about the LC of various years compared across the year lots... I havent weighed them, or capacity tested them yet, this is more of a curiosity question.. Ideally, I'd like to make one big lot of ammo for reloading, instead of 12 odd sized lots, and 12 load workups for each bullet, ect..

Personally I would check all the different brass headstamps out and see if any are notably odd. I assume they will come in pretty close, but its alway better to know for sure.

I would then work up a nice mid range load for the mixed brass, nothing too hot, but good enough to run. I would stay off the ragged edge just to be safe.

Maybe do a hotter MATCH load in the LC brass or something like that. You will get the best consistency that way when you want it.

You can treat various years of the same case the same, my match load is in a WCC case and its consistant in cases dated 03 to 09. I've found the same for the Lake City cases I've loaded, they group the same from year to year but Iv'e loaded a smaller range. For the odd headstamp cases build up a short range plinker load.

The SBS that I have used rivaled the quality of Lupua in case weight variation but slightly heavier than LC. LC is all over the place weight-wise. WCC is usually good, slightly better than LC and usually just a little lighter. LC works fine when weight sorted.