• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how tight? - base & rings

muscles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
ut
rifle is savage 338 lapua fcp hs.

my vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp showed up today along with low seekins rings (thx primary arms).

i ordered a murphy precision 30 moa base on sunday. in speaking with murphy precision, the base would ship tuesday, so it should be here within a few days.

I'm going to buy a torque wrench. how many lbs should the 4 base screws be? how bout the ring screws to the base, and the ring screws?

i'd appreciate your input. thx.

Re: how tight? - base & rings

is there a rule of thumb for tightening all basses and rings? or are all manufactures different in the amount of force needed?

i read the badger link. thx. didn't realize it was manufacturer specific. ill call murphys and seekins.

Base screws and cap screws are generally 15-20in/ibs, if the crossbolts are picatinny spec they'll take 65in/lbs, if not they might not.

If you're going to go through the trouble of buying a torque wrench for this project, you should also pick up a tap to clean out the factory threads. Variances in thread and collar friction will result in different preloads being applied to the screws, regardless of what the torque wrench says.

Basically, if the threads are clean, you'll get more clamping force out of a screw for a given torque value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muscles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i read the badger link. thx. didn't realize it was manufacturer specific. ill call murphys and seekins. </div></div>

Never mind Murphy contacted you.