• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to build a rifle

Big_Country

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
United States
How hard is it to put a rifle together?

I am interested in doing this myself and want to know how hard it really is to put one together.

Does anyone know if there are some video's you can follow along to and do this?

Thanks,
-Sv

Re: How to build a rifle

Oh it ain't hard you just need one of these...

pipe_die_set_1325.gif

And one of these...

pipewrench.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of rifle? </div></div>

A rifle that shoots bullets
cool.gif

Purchasing the stock, barrel, action, bottom metal, recoil lug, trigger assembly etc. and putting it all together.

More of a general knowledge question than a certain rifle.

Thanks,
-Sv

i used to post pictures showing and explaining how i build rifles for myself but apparently people complained so i guess i am not allowed to show that stuff anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: &#8207;Steelvenom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard is it to put a rifle together?</div></div>

It's actually very easy but, like they say, if you have to ask you’re in over your head.

300, that’s news to me, if it's true that’s a shame. You have talent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to post pictures showing and explaining how i build rifles for myself but apparently people complained so i guess i am not allowed to show that stuff anymore. </div></div>

Let them complain. Any sudgestion's on where someone seeking how to can learn how to do this using the www?

Thanks,
-Sv

you can start by clicking on the thread directly above this one started by STR. he has a great video series showing what he does. there is a lot of information on this site but you will need to search for it. look at threads in the gunsmithing section here by wmroscoe, c.dixon and STR for example.

it really does depend on what brand of action you are working with as far as what is involved in the <span style="font-style: italic">build</span>. for example, a savage can be done with a minimal tool investment whereas a remington can require machine tools and the know-how to use them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: &#8207;Steelvenom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of rifle? </div></div>

A rifle that shoots bullets
cool.gif
</div></div>

Genius!
smile.gif

There is quite a bit of difference between putting together an AR type rifle vs a bolt action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: &#8207;Steelvenom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to post pictures showing and explaining how i build rifles for myself but apparently people complained so i guess i am not allowed to show that stuff anymore. </div></div>

Let them complain. Any sudgestion's on where someone seeking how to can learn how to do this using the www?

Thanks,
-Sv </div></div>

Check out some youtube videos from STR.

Plumbing it is easy......its the coughing up $25k in tools to get going that's tough.

1. Start easy, buy a Thompson Center Encore and put a barrel on it.

2. Progress to a Savage bolt gun. Buy a drop in barrel and some go/no-go gauges and put it together.

3. Then try a Mauser 98 and a short chambered barrel. Buy the reamer and go/no-go gauges and make it work.

4. Purchase a lathe and learn to machine metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's actually very easy but, like they say, if you have to ask you’re in over your head.
</div></div>

This encompasses so much of life, doesn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to post pictures showing and explaining how i build rifles for myself but apparently people complained so i guess i am not allowed to show that stuff anymore.</div></div>

I'm really hoping you're being facetious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm really hoping you're being facetious. </div></div>

unfortunately for everyone that enjoyed and/or gained information by reading my threads and for myself who enjoyed making those threads, i'm not being facetious. even my original .284 build thread got locked because apparently a vendor or vendors complained.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

unfortunately for everyone that enjoyed and/or gained information by reading my threads and for myself who enjoyed making those threads, i'm not being facetious. even my original .284 build thread got locked because apparently a vendor or vendors complained. </div></div>

I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this thread.. Great work!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9609#Post779609

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

unfortunately for everyone that enjoyed and/or gained information by reading my threads and for myself who enjoyed making those threads, i'm not being facetious. even my original .284 build thread got locked because apparently a vendor or vendors complained.</div></div>

Wow. I had taken a few pics while doing up a set of 7wsm barrels with my shooting partner, but now I'm a bit scared to post them. Is this becoming like photography forums now? Hobbyists aren't wanted, regardless the quality of their work?

I assumed it just got locked to shutup the fuckwads who didn't understand that you didn't need to be a pro to own a lathe.

unfortunately for everyone that enjoyed and/or gained information by reading my threads and for myself who enjoyed making those threads, i'm not being facetious. even my original .284 build thread got locked because apparently a vendor or vendors complained. </div></div>

Be proud brother. You took small, "too light" equipment and made the big boys scared. I don't know or care if you ever made a dime on the side due to this site, but the fact is the ONLY reason I became a member here was to share concepts and skills with others with the same skills and tools. Were it not for you and STR, I would likely have never taken the time to read or share. I get that every forum has its policy, and those paying for a space should get taken care of....but I can't imagine that you were much threat financially....skill and talent, I would buy. Keep on keepin on, and shake it off.

300....I loved that thread. Very informative. Always someone trying to hide a turd in the punch bowl though. Screw 'em. You did fantastic work and were kind enough to share it with us all. Not to many vendors willing to cough up any secrets out there.

I took out a couple hours and watched STR's video on youtube. I learned quite a bit about a few different things.

I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to share knowledge. That is a nation born right isn't it? If someone muled about it than let them keep doing so and keep the teachings. Did Bruce Lee stop his teachings when the chinese mafia knocked on his doorstep and told him to stop? If I have to be the rebel I will.
smile.gif

So with that said, does anyone have any links to share?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300,

I have to say that I really enjoyed reading this thread.. Great work!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9609#Post779609 </div></div>

well boy howdy, it's unlocked now.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Good. I've got a lot of respect for the guys that roll the dice and go pro. Becoming a sponsor here ain't cheap either.

That should not prevent the rest of us from exchanging info and ideas. It isn't about money for me. It's about being able to do something I used to think was impossible for me to do.

For the record, I've never known 300Sniper to take work, he doesn’t even have an FFL. As a sponsor, I have zero issue with his post, past or present.

He has enough talent that he definitely brings something to the table for those looking.

If a guy says he wants to build his own rifle I don't see how giving him advise is going to cause any one in the buiness to miss any meals.

Everyone I know who built guns started out building their first one.

I thought this was a place for exchanging ideals.

Don't raise for over me you all. I was just interested in learning the basic tricks to the trades so I can build some rifle's to pass off to my 2 son's some day. Not out to save a dollar. As a matter of fact I would imagine it problaby works out about the same anyhow.

Thank you for unlocking the threads though and thank to anyone who has been supportive.

Much respect,
-Sv

There are many ways to skin this cat, a Lathe/Mill being the best with someone who knows how to use them.

Another way is I have a short chambered Rem barrel and rem action at the house. I didn't pay that much for the barrel and just need the wrench and reamer to finish it up. I have completed Savage builds that shot lights out using misc barrels. The savage project is pretty easy and didn't have to invest much into the tools. Brownells carries one by Shaw which is like $150, then a few by Shilen which are respectively more. I have a Shilen one and it seems it was in the $250-$300 range.

I have some nice custom built guns but the DIY'er inside me wants to do just one Remy to get it off my plate.

Barrel $149.00, not a Krieger or even a shilen but will get you there….

Action Wrench

And a way to hold the barrel, not pretty but should work.

The headspace gauges and reamers are yours to find, this is one of the cheapest ways to build a R700, while it may or may not shoot though.....

There is also a company making R700 barrels that use the savage barrel nut system.. This would even be easier to build as you shouldn't need a reamer but would still need the other items.

I have access to a VERY nice lathe and mill but no where near the skill to use them.

Wow, I just saw this thread. First, thanks to all of you for what you say about me. Second, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to 300s build threads. I thought they were awesome. Same as Williams, and all the others that post informative pics and vids. When I first posted mine, I was a vendor, and left them there after closing shop with the only intention being to help others. I still make you tube videos to show others with an interest. There are 52 in total on my channel.

Gunsmithing is very competitive, and some guys just make enough to live, so those guys get pissed someone says they want to build their own rifles. That's probably the frustrated vendor that complained. Forums are supposed to be a place to learn, and share, but most vendors don't come here to share anything other than their advertisement, and I do understand that. By the same token, they should let others share what they know.

I'm on here everyday, and learn something new all the time. So one more time, and not the last time, I want to say thank you to all you talented guys who post, weather you're a hobbiest, or a pro.

Regards
Ozzie

STR

Thanks for that post, I agree totally regarding sharing information.

I'm not a gunsmith, I don't make a penny on guns one way or the other.

However I do make guns, made some dern fine 1000 yard rifles for the AK NG when I use to run their program. Put together some other nice target rifles for my self, and hunting rifles for my wife, kids and grandkids.

I'm not out to "cut into anyone's business", I'm out to enjoy shooting sports, all aspects of shooting sports.

Like training, I don't charge for my training, (I'm big into CMP GSM Games), I'm not interested in costing anyone's business, I'm into helping others as I've been helped by others throughout the years.

I thought that's what these firearm forums were for, sharing information with like minded people.

If someone wants to try and build their own rifle, I'll help as much as I can, if they are close by, I'll let them use my machinery and stand by to try and keep them out of trouble.

My main goal is to get more people involved in shooting sports, all aspects of shooting sports.

Tax dollars paid for my training, both in shooting and gun work, I see nothing wrong with returning those tax dollars if I can.

Freedom of speech?

I'm a rebel. With that said if someone doesn't like the fact that other's want to share some insight/knownledge than to bad. They don't have to but if there are those that wish to they should keep their fat noses out of your/our business.

I appreciate all the replies and PM's regarding this subject I have recieved thus far. Keep up the fire!

My personal thanks is reached out to STR for being a good inspiration and motivator to build my own. I have a few tools I have to get this started. But it's going to happen soon.

Thank you very much Hider's!
Much respect,
-Sv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, I've never known 300Sniper to take work, he doesn’t even have an FFL. As a sponsor, I have zero issue with his post, past or present.

He has enough talent that he definitely brings something to the table for those looking. </div></div>

I completely agree. In fact, I will go one further:

Whether Robert takes a dime or not doesn't influence my opinion in the least. This site could be considered a test tube for aspiring smiths. It gives them the opportunity to show their efforts to a broader audience. That can only serve to grow the trade, increase competition, and raise the bar.

All of which are good things. The "Nancy's" who can't handle it might be better off taking a long hard look inside, instead of pissing/moaning over someone else.

That's my 2 bits.

C.

Removing or locking threads that 300sniper (or any other member) posts is NOT in the best interest of our sport and our art. By extension, it is not in the best interest of this web forum in my opinion.

It's a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time to take good pictures, post good pictures and then add some type of meaningful dialogue/text with them. I don't see how some of you assholes (I am jealous) have the time to do that and still get work done in the shop! Thank you either way for helping to keep this forum at the top of the heap. All of the above was done with good intentions and with the spirit of sharing information.

I do understand about trying to sell/promote your shop if you are not a "PAID" vendor on this site but I never took what 300sniper did as a threat. Obviously, somebody else did.

It is my opinion that squashing such info-threads would be no different than squashing a thread that discussed new techniques on positional shooting, reloading or reading mirage. There are certainly vendors and businesses out there that provide their version of those techniques for pay. If they start complaining and feeling like the discussion of new technique is stepping on their toes also,.... where does the line get drawn?

If we are silly enough to think that the only innovative ideas come from a certified business or business person, we shall soon find ourself irrecoverably behind the curve as a group.

Just my bitchy morning opinion....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Removing or locking threads that 300sniper (or any other member) posts is NOT in the best interest of our sport and our art. By extension, it is not in the best interest of this web forum in my opinion.

It's a pain in the ass and takes a lot of time to take good pictures, post good pictures and then add some type of meaningful dialogue/text with them. All of the above was done with good intentions and with the spirit of sharing information.

I do understand about trying to sell/promote your shop if you are not a "PAID" vendor on this site but I never took what 300sniper did as a threat. Obviously, somebody else did.

It is my opinion that squashing such info-threads would be no different than squashing a thread that discussed new techniques on positional shooting, reloading or reading mirage. There are certainly vendors and businesses out there that provide their version of those techniques for pay. If they start complaining and feeling like the discussion of new technique is stepping on their toes also,.... where does the line get drawn?

If we are silly enough to think that the only innovative ideas come from a certified business or business person, we shall soon find ourself irrecoverably behind the curve as a group.

Just my bitchy morning opinion....
</div></div>

Terry

I completely agree, however when renewing companies to the site for 2012, the number one complaint was, members who were FFLs and small businesses who advertised in their signatures and quietly advertised their work. Not on any large scale that anyone would consider a legitimate business threat, but just enough to get the attention of paying sponsors.

In fact some chose not to renew with the note of "why bother" when member "X" could advertise in his signature or through posting.

So to protect those who were paying we had to enforce the rules that were in place for a long time, and honestly in most cases we didn't go looking for it, however it did force me to bring on a moderator to help enforce the rules. It was surprising too how many FFLs were selling in the forum, weekly, despite the posted rules against it.

Mainly it was to curb the guys painting rifles, because admittedly it is much easier to start up as a painter than a gunsmith, but in the end the rules should be enforced equally.

Censorship sucks, but when people are paying a good chunk of their money to sell on here, they are entitled to have their investment protected.

Understood Frank.

I know that this site is your creation and has evolved (in a good way) because you steered it nurtured it everyday. In the end, it is your decisions that keep it on track and it is the advertisers and paid vendors that keep it profitable.

What you have here is rare, even for the internet and from a greedy perspective, I don't want to see the good parts fade. I just need to chill and trust you and your mods to do what you have already been doing well. Please try to find a balance between the vendors and the masses so that new ideas and methods can still be shared here.

Thanks for all your patience with this crap. I bet it must be like trying to herd squirrels....

Terry

I get it. I hope those vendors also realize that the large group of minds that pool here bring a lot of knowledge and attract the same. I had never visited the hide and were it not for STR making mention of it on a you tube vid that I stumbled on...I would have not found this place.

I enjoy the smith forum here because it allows me to gauge my skills and pick and share tips. I was actually nervous about posting my bolt knob jig system....but in reality, if all of us can do quality work quickly....it sure can't hurt the sport, trade, lifestyle or the user. I think its pretty amazing to see the class of work that frequents this site and the respect given to each other. We have found that you can skin a cat wit a scapel or napalm and a lot of ways in between....I hope that does not change.

To those of you who take the time to post the pics, share tooling ideas and working techniques, thanks.

Depends on whether you're talking bolt action or semi. I would start by looking at the American Gunsmithing Institute, I know they have videos of all kinds.

I actually got caught up in the "censorship" thing. I got a pm from one of the moderators. He asked me to remove my web address from my signature line and my profile or become a vendor/sponsor. My finishing work is more a hobby than a full time business so I can't really shell out the cash to be a vendor. But since I am an FFL it is a business.
He also asked me to remove the pic of my rifle from my signature because it advertised my work. I understand the vendors being upset since they do pay to advertise and sell here.
90% of my conversations here have been with guys asking for advise or tips which I gladly share. I have learned a great deal from this site and enjoy the sharing of info. Like you said, it is Franks call and I respect that. He has made this site what it is today.
I kinda' take it as a compliment that some of the "big guys" could possibly view my work as a threat to their business.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And a way to hold the barrel, not pretty but should work. </div></div>

My "barrel vise" is literally a standard workbench vise. I use a holesaw or spade-drill to bore a hole through a hunk of 2x4 that's slightly smaller than barrel diameter . Then I saw the 2x4 in half, through the hole's diameter, leaving me with two hunks, each with a half-circle bored in it. I then stick those in the vise, and clamp the barrel in. This has worked great so far for me, though I only use it once in a while, as my livelyhood is not gunsmithing. I would want a more elegant arrangment if I were doing it every day, but for the 5-10 times a year I need to remove/install a barrel, this method has been good to go.

The 'Hide is an evolved object. FWIW, besides being unique, I think it's also a damned powerful engine for change, and I think it's headed in a very good direction.

Times are rough, and advertising helps keep The 'Hide free to be The 'Hide.

I see no censorship here. Rather, it's an invitation to either fish or cut bait.

We have buy/sell forums here, and good ways of governing them.

Signature lines as advertising, it's a gray area, and I'm damned glad I don't have to swim in such murky waters. For those who do, kudos; and since the Boss has views on the object, well and good that he gets to make those choices.

For my part, I sometimes come up with brainstorms. Often they are dubious, occasionally there's an actual gem. I have no means, and even less desire, of bringing them to fruition; and it is usually my choice to put them into the public domain, with The 'Hide being my chosen venue for that purpose.

Unless I were to make it undeniably clear otherwise, I am hoping to see folks here put those ideas into a commercial offering. Maybe I can't make money on them, but there's no good reason why somebody else shouldn't, IMHO.

Sometimes I get a hint that something I'm seeing may have originated between my own ears. I view that as a positive development, but I also recognize that it's maybe the sort of view that gets one branded as an oddball.

If it fits, I'll wear it.

Greg