• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to build a wife-approved reloading bench

jonthomps

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2009
    Kansas City
    Last June I came up with an idea. I needed a nice-looking, efficient workspace for reloading and working on AR’s. I also had limited space to work with - I couldn't dedicate an entire room to my hobby, no matter how badly I wanted to. I also needed a place to put my guns. I don’t have many, but the ones I do have are nice! It just so happens my dad, Stuart, is the general manager of Cabparts, a cabinet shop in Grand Junction, Colorado where I grew up. They specialize in custom European cabinets and components. Thinking he might be able to help, I gave him a call and told him about my ideas and what I was wanting. As all good dads’ do, he was ready and willing to help and so we drew up plans for my reloading bench. A few phone calls, some measuring, and a month later in late July dad & mom drove from GJ, Colorado to Kansas City, Missouri with my package flat-packed in pieces on a pallet in the bed of their truck. What follows is a photo journal from start to finish of the project.

Side Note: Kansas City in July is one of those rare treats in life everyone needs to experience. By that I mean it’s miserable. As in REALLY hot and REALLY humid miserable. Think Vietnam jungle hot. Don’t come. That being said, some of the beginning photos are a little fuzzy due to the severe humidity (80-90%), sorry.

As my dad put it, “It’s not quite hell, but it's so hot you can see it from here.” I always admired his eloquent way with words.

There were a few hiccups along the way but all in all it turned out quite nice. Oh, midway through the project we had a few (very) young admirers wander through the neighbor’s backyard while we were working on this – I’ve included a few photos of them as well. Enjoy!

Unloading begins . . .
    IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Like playing with legos
    IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Re: How to build a wife-approved reloading bench

IMG_0222.jpg

My perfectionist German dad in his element - nothing he does is half-baked.
    IMG_0223.jpg

Measuring the gun cabinet.
    IMG_0224.jpg

Neighborhood visitors.
    IMG_0225.jpg

Inner cabinets
    IMG_0230.jpg

Mounting doors
    IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Getting everything put away
    IMG_0233.jpg

I've been a professional Home Builder, for 30 Yrs. and I have to say:Very well done! You "may" have a problem with the particle board, at the press{ high stress} area, but if you do, just reinforce it with some 1/4 in aluminum, or a piece of oak.PS I'm in Delaware, and we're a little closer to Hell, right now, than you.

Looks great, but I agree with Josh above me, you will run into problems at some point with the cheaper particle board, how soon depends on what you are reloading, if its just smaller handgun stuff you will be ok for awhile, if you still full length resizing something like 300WM or some big boys, watch out...

Hell, my wife just saw yours and is now trying how to figure out to something like that around mine.

the bottom of the drawers will probably start to give out in time to if you put some weight in them, I put 3/8 thick plywood on the inside of MDF drawer box's so the cheap 1/4 thick bottoms dont start to sag and fall out. over all with a little bit of beefing up that looks like a really nice set up.

Very nicely done!! I'd say you may have let the secret of being handy a being handy to your wife now. Good luck completing your honey do list now!!! Lol

Very creative but I agree with the others. You may want to consider some sort of brace under the your RCBS press.

very nice for now, soon you'll need more storage though and lots of reinforcment.

+1 on reinforcement

<span style="font-weight: bold">OUTSTANDING!</span>

You and your Dad did a great job. He is a treasure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">put some recessed lights in it. that would be sweeet </div></div>

I wanted to but after spending an entire weekend building this thing and listening to my mom tell my dad and I how everything "should" be done all I wanted to do was have it completed, lol

OK. I'll "chime in, again". Home Depot sells a 3 string of "easy to mount" "hockey pucks", That can be face mounted{ no special drilling]and they can be run on a plug in cord, so no "permanent wiring". And watch the "bullet drawer". Mine has 2500, in it, and she's straining with the weight.Maybe just a storage box, on the floor will do. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. I'll "chime in, again". Home Depot sells a 3 string of "easy to mount" "hockey pucks", That can be face mounted{ no special drilling]and they can be run on a plug in cord, so no "permanent wiring". And watch the "bullet drawer". Mine has 2500, in it, and she's straining with the weight.Maybe just a storage box, on the floor will do. Good luck. </div></div>

My drawers are rated for 50lbs each and I keep my bullets on the shelves. No problems so far, but I only reload for my 338. Everything else I shoot is factory ammo. And thanks for the heads up on the Home Depot lights - looks like I have a weekend project!

Excellent job! Functional, yet presentable.

I'd second (third, et. al.) reinforcing the structure of the table in the area of the press. I'd also look at the wall behind the cabinet where it looks like you had a cold air return, and relocating that to another place in the room to keep the air circulating and not allow the room air to become stale or the humidity to increase in the area of the firearms and associated components.

Nice, I went a little farther and took over a "closet" for my reloading. Plan is to mount a Dillon 650 to the Craftsman cabinet with the MDF ontop right to the left of the door. I screwed a 4'x4' piece of 3/4" particle board to the wall via studs on that side, then screwed the rollaround box to all that. I wanted to keep the "counter" area as a workbench. Yeah it's quite small but for an apartment it is all there was unless I put it all in the dining room(that would not be good). Plus in a tornado this is the center of the apartment and now is a little safer.
    413761_4232669785198_538811272_o.jpg

Great Job!! I am in San Antonio, and my wife has forced me to reload in my Garage... Hell's got nothing on this place.... it has been 100++ and 90% humidity!! Ahh!! the things we endure for our love of shooting...

Only one thing to worry about!! Carpet and Gun Powder do not like each other... Static Electricity is a bitch!!

Good Luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great Job!! I am in San Antonio, and my wife has forced me to reload in my Garage... Hell's got nothing on this place.... it has been 100++ and 90% humidity!! Ahh!! the things we endure for our love of shooting...

Only one thing to worry about!! Carpet and Gun Powder do not like each other... Static Electricity is a bitch!!

Good Luck!! </div></div>

Sounds like time for some insulation and an AC unit from Home Depot. If nothing else, a small unit will lower the humidity just making it a "dry heat"
    cool.gif

Great job and an excellent idea. I may have to duplicate that so I'm not religated to the garage!

Yo man, you can not conceive the ENVY I'm feeling right now! LOL! Bravo Zulu!

"You may want to consider some sort of brace under the your RCBS press."

That "RCBS" press is a Redding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You may want to consider some sort of brace under the your RCBS press."

That "RCBS" press is a Redding.
    </div></div>

Yep
    wink.gif

I still wish my reloading bench was that neat and tidy!!! After a while you just have crap everywhere and the drawer that only had 50 lbs. in it now looks like it will fall off the hinges at any time...

More accumulation means less space to put crap...

Now, he "took over" a closet! It starts! I'm on my 6th "addition", with three more drawer units, and 2 new/used presses.HAVE FUN, and never tell her: "This is it!" You'll eat your words.I've got 12 ft. of "dedicated counter/workbench" and I'm expanding. I'm soo out of control!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, he "took over" a closet! It starts! I'm on my 6th "addition", with three more drawer units, and 2 new/used presses.HAVE FUN, and never tell her: "This is it!" You'll eat your words.I've got 12 ft. of "dedicated counter/workbench" and I'm expanding. I'm soo out of control! </div></div>

No joke! I just sold a bunch of stuff so I could make room for more toys! Definitely envious of 12 feet of work space. 5 feet gets a little cramped sometimes.