• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How To Clean A Muzzle Brake

Cjwise5

Owner PRN
Minuteman
May 23, 2014
Missouri
www.youtube.com
Here's a video on the way I clean mine. What do you do that's similar or better? Also, I need to say up front that I know this can remove the coloring on nitride finishes. I personally don't care about that.

Soak in CLR, and a brush, but honestly I have never seen a dirty break affect accuracy. I’m not an extremely high volume shooter though, is this just for aesthetic purposes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cjwise5
I've used CLR in my ultrasonic. Wonder how this works? CLR definitely removes finishes.

These products, like lemishine, have lemon (citric acid) in them. Depending on how much you use and/or how long you leave the brake to soak in the cleaner, it can discolor the metal finish.
That being said, I have never had that happen and the people that have, say it's just on the surface and can be buffed out using a cleaner like windex that neutralizes the acid.
For me personally, I'm not at all worried about a slight discoloration of my muzzle brake. It still functions perfectly.

I use an 8:1 solution of water and Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner. It does ok.

I threw my whole upper in it last weekend. Worked great for carbon on the bolt and bcg, but the suppressor adapter still needs some work.

For a brake, I think it would do well as a brake doesn't collect as much carbon as the adapter.

I was gonna suggest a simple green soak and an appropriately sized bore brush chucked in a drill.

I soak in straight CLR for stainless brakes. anything coated ill use a carb and choke cleaner... never thought of simple green and a ultrasonic. interesting.

CLR soak and the thing is back to brand new with a rinse from the sink blaster...

CLR soak on anything coated ive done has turned the finish to a pinkish color.

The pink is copper. It will turn back to black w/ a copper cleaner.
(Great tip I learned here after pinking mine.)

interesting, never heard that. So I can clean it off with some Eliminator and it'll go back to black? ill have to give that a shot

I soak my hellfire in a cup of CLR. Turns the carbon to goo. I had one that was really bad tried a bunch of different stuff CLR worked like nothing I had ever seen before. Yes the pink is copper and any kind copper cleaner will take it off