• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to Clean A Suppressor

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I have a Griffin Armaments Bushwacker 46 suppressor. The body & baffles are made out of 17-4. They say that it is OK to throw the baffles in a ultrasonic cleaner but do not recommend doing that to the tube body even if a mild cleaner (simple green or dawn) is used. They say that it will discolor the anodization on the tube body.

This is a multi purpose suppressor & I shoot a lot of 9mm through it. This results in a lot of lead fouling that gets pretty thick inside the tube body. I am mechanically cleaning it by running a 1-1/2" stainless brush is a drill w/ liberal amounts of WD40. Putting the tube in the ultrasound really helps loosen stuff up. I don't mind a little discoloration, but do not want to take a chance on damaging the tube so I am not putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner anymore.

Can someone comment on long term damage to the tube if I would keep on using the ultrasonic cleaner & Dawn or Simple Green.

...did GA not answer this for you? It seems like they provided the info you're seeking.

I would also look at switching to a bronze brush, or consider trying Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend, which should attack lead.