• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to clean a trigger

gspooner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Beaverton, OR 97005
Can anyone advise on how to clean a trigger?
Specifically I know how to remove a TRG trigger but it is one nice package that is not obvious to me how to clean.
It is best left to a gunsmith, can I use a solvent, can I put any gun oil on it.
thanks

Re: How to clean a trigger

get a can of zippo lighter fluid and flush it out a couple of times and you are good to go. The lighter fluid will dry and leave a dry film lubricant

pick up a can of brake cleaner and air in a can. the cleaner will take of all grit and oils, air can will help for the gritty stuff. lightly oil

I used to work on electric typewriters for a living. Triggers are very simple by comparison.

I would clean it by blowing it out using brake cleaner.

I would then mix several drops of lightweight, non-gumming oil into a teaspoonful of acetone, and pour the mixture through the trigger mechanism, wiping away the excess with a soft cloth.

The acetone will flash off, leaving a very light coating of light oil exactly where it's needed. Observe all precautons associated with acetone, fire, and acetone's tendency to attack finishes and synthetics.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pure_mahem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Zippo fluid! And don't use knock off stuff use REAL Zippo fluid. </div></div>

This is how I roll too!!

RemOil in a spray can works great. Use it like brake cleaner, blow it out with air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a can of zippo lighter fluid and flush it out a couple of times and you are good to go. The lighter fluid will dry and leave a dry film lubricant </div></div>

This is the best way I have found. Using things like Rem oil just stay in there and attract dirt and grime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a can of zippo lighter fluid and flush it out a couple of times and you are good to go. The lighter fluid will dry and leave a dry film lubricant </div></div>

This is the best way I have found. Using things like Rem oil just stay in there and attract dirt and grime. </div></div>

I have not found this to be the case if the excess is removed with compressed air.

The remoil works well, more as a solvent and a carrier than a lubricant.

I have used the Rem oil with good success. I do blow it out with the air compressor to make sure it is all dry before I put it back together. Good luck!

I got some Zippo, already had some brake cleaner, 3-1 oil, acetone...

I tried Zippo first as it has the most votes.
It worked great but not fully back to original performance.
I let sit for a day and then the trigger just locked up after firing.
I had to remove the butt stock to get in and wiggle the trigger enough to get the safety moved enough to get the hex wrench in.

After going through several lockup and freeing cycles I determined it was the safety causing all the problems.

At this point I figured the trigger was useless so I was just going to experiment with every lubricant and cleaner I had.

The 3-1 oil was handy so I tried that first on the safety. Two days later works as good as new.

The question now is do I need to get the 3-1 oil out of there?
Will the 3-1 oil cause dirt collection, gumming, and or freezing when I use it in sub zero temperatures?

I would definitely take the oil out of there and see how it performs. Sounds like more of a mechanical problem than a lubrication problem.