• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to determine .223 coal

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I just got a bunch of different hornady projectiles and in my books there is no data for them. I am trying to determine coal for all of them. Also how do you determine where the bullet meets the lands. I'm shooting out of a rem ltr internal mag.

Bullets are

Hornady 50g vmax
Hornady 55g vmax
Hornady 60g hp varmint
Hornady 68g hp match

The Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage works pretty good to see where the bullet will meet the lands. If you can't find any information for those bullets then either get another reloading manual, having 2 manuals is always a good idea or you can go to the Hornady website and they should have plenty of reloading information for those bullets.

Always start with a low reccommended load and work you way up, always checking for signs of pressure, be consistent and safety is priority. Hope that helps.

Can you post a link with the overall length guage. How does that show where it meets the lands

I cant believe you searched the site before posting this.

COAL and CBTO are different measurements.

For COAL, The SAAMI specs are online: http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/223 Remington.pdf
COAL length is important to verify if you are feeding through a magazine. In many cases you will find loading to CBTO is not possible due to magazine dimensions.

My method for determining CBTO is documented in this post:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/239412-seating-ogive.html#post2997971

1) Powder manufacturers data is on line and may give you the COL they used in testing. Comparing that to bullets listed in the powder mfg data and your books can help guide you to a COL to begin load development. Also, a time-tested approach that works is to call Hornady. They can give you a test COL for your chosen powder.

2) If you want to load through the magazine, measure your magazine. That will determine your maximum OAL - where the bullet will hit the lands is irrelevant because it won't. Of course we're ignoring pressure changes in your current load, whether the bullet can be seated that far out, etc.

3) If you want to single feed, you can use gauges or other techniques to keep seating a bullet longer until it touches the ogives. MikeinUtah gave you a vid link that can get you started. Of course we're ignoring pressure changes in your current load, whether the bullet can be seated that far out, etc.

Have to honestly say I'm afraid to give any more advice because it sounds like you've heard seating to the lands is a good idea, but don't yet have enough background to understand what factors affect that, how to measure it, and when you should, shouldn't, can, or can't do it. Best I can say is read more, watch more videos, sharpen your question. Sorry if I've misjudged, but better to be safe than.