• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How to determine azimuth & latitude

For latitude you can use google maps. Go to the menu box (next to the search box) click on Help and type latitude onto the search box, It gives instructions on how to find your lat/long on various platforms.

For azimuth, I use a Kestrel.

Latitude and the magnetic/map north conversion can be found on many maps --you can also add that to your map. Azimuth is shot with a compass --aim compass and face the target and where the needle points is your azimuth. That azimuth must then be converted --add or subtract a sum based on your latitude; the higher north of equator you are the more radical the change.

Also, many maps will have the latitude/longitude for a particular map on the map, generally near the magnetic north conversion you'll need for shooting azimuth.

I'm referring to military maps and maps made like those, road maps and cheaper maps and such may not have as much info. In that case, you can find it online and just update your map with the appropriate data you need on it.

Last edited:
Holy shit I thought this was basic stuff that one learned as a kid.......

That azimuth must then be converted --add or subtract a sum based on your latitude; the higher north of equator you are the more radical the change.
If you're talking about variation (the difference between true and magnetic north) the error isn't dependent on latitude alone.

not when you're in the mountains with no service. ;)

Correct, pick up some USGS topo maps to the scale you like or military 25 or 50K to 1, add a quality compass an march on. The other thing you need not worry about unless you need Tac Air or Arty is magnetic declination which is given on all quality maps. (Even at that a 8-10 digit coordinate is close enough).
Place either side of the compass on any N/S grid line on the map, (compass an map both orientated north together) an turn the map until the compass is pointing north, locate where you are an want to go, lay the compass along that line an the direction of march staring you in the face. Shoot a azimuth to a far away landmark, keep it insight and once you get there shoot another. Then you only need the compass when checking your L/M (line of march) if you lose sight of your way point. Once you do it long enough map to ground will come easy an you only need the compass mostly for night work or ranging a shot. At night you turn the compass bezel backwards C/CW only (unless you have lots of exp) Night compass work is a easy task to learn as well. I've hit dead on in a 6 click night march with 4 water nav legs, so if I can do it anyone can.

I'll read into your post a bit.... you want azimuth and latitude so you can calculate coriolis effect.

The answer is don't bother. Learn to read wind. The wind so massively dwarfs any coriolis effect that your time is wasted worrying about it.

If you're talking about variation (the difference between true and magnetic north) the error isn't dependent on latitude alone.

Yeah, but declination is generally listed prefigured on the map (the ones I use anyway) and is generally associated with your latitude for basic land navigation. It changes over time as the poles shift so it needs to be updated --more than 15 years is considered out of date. When they changed it at Ft. Lewis, right before land nav. for the EIB, it was a change of 3 deg. IIRC. There's a huge shift up here. Glad they disseminated that info before the EIB.

I didn't know this was about C. Effect. I'll let you guys discuss that. I don't bother with it but if a ballistics program incorporates it, yeah, I want it. If I have to figure it by hand, then no.

There's art and there's science and they are closely related in one's mind; math is both a science and an art. Shooting is varying parts science and art, but mostly art.