• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to "drive" a piston gasser?

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
I could use some help for getting the most of my new SCAR17.

On the first range session I got down to 5 shot groups consisting of one ragged hole and two additional holes close by at hundred yards. In total around 1 MOA.

Yesterday, the best I got was two independent ragged holes - one from 3 bullets, the other one from 2.

I am using carefully prepped brass, quality bullets and the SD of the best loads is between 15 and 20 for 5 shots. I guess, the problem is the nut behind the trigger. Speaking of trigger, I stoned and polished the factory trigger and that helped a lot on the second outing.

I heard people referring to a special way you have to "drive" a gas gun but how does this work exactly?

One more thing. When "warming up" with cheap ball ammo I put some dummies in the magazine to verify that my trigger control is clean. I think the missing piece is how to let the gun recoil consistently.

There are some good videos and threads on here that you can access once you join the online training. LL has a few dedicated to semi autos including follow through and all fundamentals that are crucial for consistency with the semi's

There are some good videos and threads on here that you can access once you join the online training. LL has a few dedicated to semi autos including follow through and all fundamentals that are crucial for consistency with the semi's

Now a really stupid question: How do you join the online training?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. You have to click "Blogs" and then the menu header will change to include training.

Last edited:
What you want to do is build a steady muscularly relaxed position, one that is also consistent shot to shot. For learning, single feed rounds, rebuilding the position from shot to shot, concentrating on readjustment of NPA; and, on contact between you, the gun, and ground being consistent. Perfecting the position and being consistent with it shot to shot you will have more consistent recoil resistance, which will minimize altered bullet impact.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what model of the SCAR 17 you have. With that said, most military guns that are capable of full auto have their barrels chrome lined to combat barrel fatigue from high rates of fire / little to no cool down periods between firing. A lot of people argue chrome lining will to some degree lessen the accuracy of a barrel. I dont know if its true or not, but thats what I hear. SO with that said, I would'nt be expecting consistent sub MOA out of the rifle IF it is chrome lined. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Some guys who shoot AR-15 style weapons say they torque down the upper receiver against the lower receiver. The reason being is, anyone who has ever shot a military issued M16/M4, knows there is a gap large enough to stick your **** beaters through, inbetween the upper and lower receiver. So when they line up to shoot a target, theyll have the rifle slightly canted to the left or right, and then they torque down the lower receiver with their shooting hand so they get the play eliminated between the upper and lower receiver. I dont know if you have any gap between your receivers with the SCAR, but if you do this might help. This of course is for long range shooting, not your "average shooting". Also I've heard people are a bit more aggressive with holding the pistol grip and loading the bipod with gas guns. I personally havent shot gas guns at long range, so this is all second hand knowledge.

The SCAR was designed to be a combat rifle, used in harsh conditions. Of course they wanted to get great accuracy from the gun, but the main objective was to create a rifle that would continue to function in some plain old shitty conditions. That also means looser tolerances. I'm sure you can pull some great accuracy out of it, and 1 MOA is great, but I wouldnt be expecting a laser gun from it.

Last edited:
How to "drive" a piston gasser?

If you are shooting "ragged holes" with a SCAR 17 you don't need any help or advice from us: We should be getting help and advice from you.

1 MOA sounds good for a .308 battle rifle? I mean, I'm pretty new and definitely don't have the depth of knowledge of most shooters on this site, but from what I've read 1 MOA in your brand new Scar 17 seems about right. After break-in and you get used to the rifle, groups will only get smaller.

I like to put snap caps in a new rifle and chase my dogs around, dry-firing. Helps me get used to a new rifle in a couple days or until the girlfriend goes ballistic.
(Also, my dogs are now trained to run at the sight of a rifle, instead of sniffing the muzzle.)

So when I do take it to the range the first time, there's no awkward "getting to know you" stage :)