• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to dull the finish

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
I have a .243 CDL that is nice and glossy, how do i dull the finish without blasting and reblueing. Is there some spray that i can use like a flat clear ect, Don't want to ruin the gun and it doesn't have to last a lifetime.

Re: How to dull the finish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 0000 steel wool......
bill larson </div></div>
What Bill says, just lightly rub it, it will dull, look like a satin finish.

By spraying or rubbing with steel wool or do anything to remove the gloss, you're going to change the factory finish. I'd blast it and cerakote it.

If you just want something temporary, matte or flat clear paint is available at most hardware stores. Without any surface prep, it is going to be <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> temporary.

Duracoat is also available in matte clear. It would stick a little better than the rattlecan paint, but the bulk of it might be difficult to remove without media blasting.

Depending on how short term you want it to be...wax it with Johnson's paste wax and then do not remove...it will haze over...finish will be dull and water proof..easily removed after hunting season.

I did this while living in Alaska and hunting out of a Zodiac in salt water..it worked!

krylon has a matte finish, just spray it on lightly and you have the dull finish you want. you will want to prep your stock with something to remove all dirt and grease(i use 91% isopropyl alcohol),this will not harm your original finish on the stock.
1 can is around $6.
good luck.