• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to end a police chase

G

14 year old driving stolen car had already been through the park where kids were playing twice.
The driver of the truck didn't let it happen a third time.

Judging from the smoke coming from his exhaust, he was hammer-down through impact.

His foot must have slipped off the brake and hit the throttle at the same time the wheel slipped. Im kind of surprised the car stopped it.

Ryan

Sad part is that the kids parents will probably sue the driver of the truck for something stupid and win.

If my eyes were quick enough I think this was a Dodge Ram. If that is the case will Dodge use truck as an example of Ram Tough?

Maxwell

The guy will probably get sued for leaving his lane of traffic to ram into the perp. While I'm glad he did that, I suspect that unless someone on the jury is aware of jury nullification, he will end up paying dearly for his courage.

I hope the driver got to beat the shit out of the kid too. At least there are still a few people willing to put their money (truck) where their mouth is. Bravo to the truck driver.

The guy will probably get sued for leaving his lane of traffic to ram into the perp. While I'm glad he did that, I suspect that unless someone on the jury is aware of jury nullification, he will end up paying dearly for his courage.

Sad, but oh so very true!

I didn't see clearly marked lanes... to me it looked like the small white car was understeering hard and traveled into the path of the truck ;)

How to end a police chase

A lot of legal opinion here... And not a single clue as to the correct answer.

Story:
This article says the driver of the truck was an off duty cop whose kid was almost hit in the park.

That changes everything, so what it actually was, was a fucking gestapo cop making an illegal traffic stop to hassle an innocent citizen.

Judging from the smoke coming from his exhaust, he was hammer-down through impact.

Looks more like low-boost fueling to me, which means that he probably let off and then tipped back into the throttle just before impact. I'm sure that he'll follow-through better next time ;)

A lot of legal opinion here... And not a single clue as to the correct answer.

Acceptable use of deadly force to stop a fleeing felon?

Note: I'm an engineer, not a lawyer (for good reasons, some of which I probably just displayed).

This happened in America, not Brazil. Of course it was an off duty cop right? Had it been a normal person there would be lots of legal issues I bet. Hopefully the kid's Grandfather has decent insurance. That car is totaled.

Last edited:
This happened very close to me. The NY daily news is the first I have heard of him being a off duty cop. I am not saying he isn't but none of the other reports have mentioned that and when we had the SLC shooting at Trolley Square an off duty cop stopped the shooter and the news made a BIG deal about the fact he was a cop and not and normal citizen. Maybe New Yorkers can't believe that is how it is done in Utah. At this point I don't believe he is LEO.

He also stole he Grandfathers .45 hand gun. They are not saying what city the boy was from just the county, the county is a large very rural county, but he was a good 80+ miles from home.

Man who stopped fleeing driver 'would do it again' to protect kids | KSL.com

Originally Posted by E. Bryant
That's a pretty good answer. In Michigan I would probably argue that.

While I agree that there are a number of ways the driver's actions could be justified, or even fought on legal grounds, the unfortunate fact is, that even when they are right, many officers (or citizens) get sued regardless of how justified their actions were.

Many (if not most) departments weigh the cost/benefit of fighting a case, and often decide it is cheaper to pay off the plaintiff rather than fighting the case. That always leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the person who made the correct decision at the time, because they feel sold out, and like their department didn't back them up (because it didn't).

I sincerely hope it all works out well for the driver of the truck.

I am sure he will be fine. a couple of body shops have stepped up to fix any damage (looks minimal) to his truck for nothing.

I just talked to a LEO from that city, (good friend of mine, we had other business to talk about) and he said that the driver of the truck was not LEO in anyway and that the city phones have been ringing a lot for interviews.

City attorney feels that driver is protected under Utah's Good Samaritan law.

While the police may not have disclosed it, his identity is hardly a secret.

0gfJ5lxFRK6ndgCMHbsx1w.jpg

The Heroic Dodge Ram Driver Who Stopped A Dangerous Police Chase Is Getting His Truck Repaired For Free

Due to how the kid was putting peoples lives in danger the use of lethal force would have been justified here in Utah. So the kid is lucky the guy didn't just kill him.

ETA. Utah code.

76-2-402. Force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined.
(1) (a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that force or a threat of force is necessary to defend the person or a third person against another person's imminent use of unlawful force.
(b) A person is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if the person reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to the person or a third person as a result of another person's imminent use of unlawful force, or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Last edited:
Due to how the kid was putting peoples lives in danger the use of lethal force would have been justified here in Utah. So the kid is lucky the guy didn't just kill him.

ETA. Utah code.

76-2-402. Force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined.
(1) (a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that force or a threat of force is necessary to defend the person or a third person against another person's imminent use of unlawful force.
(b) A person is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if the person reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to the person or a third person as a result of another person's imminent use of unlawful force, or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Yep, Utah isn't New York.