• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing How to fill sight holes

4whln

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2012
I have a remington 700 that I took the factory sights off and installed a scope. What have you guys done to fill the screw holes in the barrel? One of them has been drilled out, so putting filler screws in is not an option. Thanks for your input.

Re: How to fill sight holes

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you are going to coat it with a bake on finish, fill them with devcon or similar material and file it down.

The other option is to find screws that fit the holes and if you can't, then tap them out to something you can.

Insert, cut off, then smooth. I like to leave them a little proud and peen them down slightly before smoothing and polishing to help hide the thread.

Re: How to fill sight holes

When doing that I like to anneal the screw first and then solder it in. May not be necessary at all but after filing them down you cannot spot them.