• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to fix my stock?

Blk04SR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
SoCal
I have savage 10FP, and I drilled a pilot hole for the self tapping screw that holds the trigger guard in place (the very rear screw closest to the buttstock) the material in the stock didnt hold it was like foam. The screw stays in but its loose.

Should I try and find another screw and an brass insert epoxy it in or just fill it with something drill a pilot hole and use the same original screw?

What is the best thing to do?

Re: How to fix my stock?

Get a new mcmillan or manners stock
smile.gif

Well you could Gorilla Glue it and screw it back in and let it dry......That should hold it.

Bob

Fill the hole with Devcon and drill and tap for original screw if you have already enlarged the hole. You would need the hole large enough to provide a fair amount of Devcon to be left over after the drill and tap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BozoWise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fill the hole with Devcon and drill and tap for original screw if you have already enlarged the hole. You would need the hole large enough to provide a fair amount of Devcon to be left over after the drill and tap. </div></div>

Its like a wood screw or dry wall screw self tapping. Ill just have to fill it with epoxy, drill a pilot hole, and should be a done deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a new mcmillan or manners stock
smile.gif
</div></div>

I wouldnt be oppose if you wanted to donate me a stock oh and it needs to have an inlet for the CDI bottom metal...dont wanna forget that.

Thanks!

Best way would be to epoxy in a brass or stainless "nut" or insert.I have the Savage 10 with the factory McMillan that CDI just inletted for his DBM kit...and in that position that's exactly what's there.

I would enlarge the hole to hold a 1/2"-3/4" length of birch dowel, Drill the dowel down the center to the diameter of the screw's minor diameter (assuming we have a self-tapping type screw), and epoxy the dowel flush with the stock surface. Let it cure. Insert and tighten the screw and leave it in overnight. Back it out next day, apply release agent to the screw threads and allow it to dry thoroughly. Place a small amount of epoxy in the hole, and reinsert the screw.

Synthetics/composites can be substituted for the birch dowel.

Greg

Yeah we'll see what happens I gotta try and find an insert if not its epoxy and pilot hole with the stock screw it is...thanks for all the tips and help!