• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s How to get rid of skunk smell?

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Asking for a friend.....
    1601639007213.png

Reactions: camocorvette
    So my lab has been sprayed 3 times the last two years....
    In a pinch you can make a mixture of baking soda, dawn dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide. A google search will provide the ratios. It does work. Leave it on for several minutes. The quicker you can do this the better. Luckily your dog has short hair. Be careful with the eyes though. Wash with normal detergent after.

After the first time my dog got sprayed I just bought “de-skunk” shampoo off amazon and it works well. I just use this now in place of the above mixture but once again the sooner the better so if you don’t have any on hand, make the mixture.

Also I will note that nothing is 100%. It will make your dog bearable but in my experience any time she gets wet you will smell it, for usually a month or two after, depending on how often you bathe your dog.

You would think they learn but here I am 3 sprays and carrying a baby skunk in the mouth later....

Have fun

I've always heard tomato juice.

It’s 2020. That’s just a mess and a waste of tomato juice. The reason the shampoo and/or baking soda/peroxide mix works is because they disrupt the chemical composition of the spray, which is an oil. Tomato juice does nothing other than partially mask the smell.

Home remedy is a mix of peroxide, baking soda and shampoo.

I've heard good things about a product called Skunk Off - can buy on Amazon.

And when a friends dog was sprayed in SD while pheasant hunting he used...

I know this is going to go over really well on this website...

feminine wash (douche)... I know let the comments ensue. But it worked. LOL

Can get some liquid stuff called Skunk Off or something similar from a Vet. Smells kinda like citrus , breaks down the enzymes in the foul assed smelling skunk juice.
    I had a issue with a family of the stinkin bastards that took refuge under a back porch floor , under cement. I had their entrance/exit sewn with rebar placed at both sides and used heavy test strength fishin line with big treble hooks every few inches. When they tried to get out they would get caught in my improvised “ Halo of Death “ ! Ended up catching & killing 8 total.
    ALL spewed everywhere.😩 I mixed the Skunk Off with h20 and sprayed it all over.
    Shit actually works !!
    b
    95B047A3-CE1F-496F-BD0D-3397E13735C9.jpeg

Last edited:
    Thanks guys. Found this in case anyone else needs it.

32oz 3% peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tsp dish soap

Mix and use as soap to wash the dog

Then follow with a bath of dog shampoo

The smell ain't 100% gone, but WAY better than it was

Then the asshole had the audacity to come and roll on the living room carpet when I let him in.

Might just have to pull it out and re do it. Happy Friday!

The mixture @jb0311 suggested works.
    When my female German Sheppard got spayed I tried two different types of The store bought crap that did basically nothing then found that recipe online.

When My pups would get sprayed I use tomato sauce and paste. Always worked well.

+1 for the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing detergent combination. The lemon scented detergent works the best. Use Dawn if possible. Don't be afraid to use Tide if you have it as it works well too. Wash multiple times and let it sit on the dog as long as you can. Scrub the fur all over. Chances are most of the skunk oil will be focused around the head and neck area so wash those areas extra well. Skunk Off works well also. Last time my dog got hit by a skunk, I used both about a half dozen times each and you could still detect the skunkiness, but it degraded over a few weeks. Good luck.

Peroxide does wonders, if you have a slight smell to your water system, it's often from the hot water tank, peroxide left in overnight takes care of it. It's also safe. Common problem if on a well (no chlorine) or a vacation home.

Home remedy is a mix of peroxide, baking soda and shampoo.

I've heard good things about a product called Skunk Off - can buy on Amazon.

And when a friends dog was sprayed in SD while pheasant hunting he used...

I know this is going to go over really well on this website...

feminine wash (douche)... I know let the comments ensue. But it worked. LOL
    You could go over to Woopie Goldberg's/The View website and post it there. I bet you'd get more response there than here......:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 1/8 oz of #6 shot @ about 1000 FPS from no less than 30 ft is the best way to prevent your dog from getting sprayed.

Just let them wear it off outside, after about two days it’ll just be a hint on them for awhile, but this is also coming from someone that when I trapped a skunk in grade school and jr high, I skinned it, my locker was at the end of the hall by the door, always!

We went thru a year of 3 of our dogs getting sprayed. Below will remove the odor 100% after 2 washes.

Big bottle (sorry, don't know the exact size. But, it's the large size available at wally world) of Hydrogen peroxide.
    1/2 cup baking soda.
    Teaspoon dawn dish soap.

Side note: Skunk spray is acidic, so the ph must be raised to neutralize it. Tomato juice is acidic, too. So, it does nothing, other than mask the smell.

Last edited:
    I’ve used tomatoe Sauce in the past. It worked but still smelled a little skunkish for a day or so. Riding in the back of the truck for sure.

Skunk off works wonders! Also put some vinegar in a pot on low on the stove and it takes the smell out of the air. I’ve got catahoulas that love killing shit in the pasture.

Skunk off works wonders! Also put some vinegar in a pot on low on the stove and it takes the smell out of the air. I’ve got catahoulas that love killing shit in the pasture.
    Coincidentally, my Catahoula was able to avoid getting the stink in her face. My other dog, not so much.

Thanks for the vinegar tip. The house smelled pretty rank for a few days afterwards.

Farm dogs get the baking soda, dawn dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide mentioned above, as good as anything I tried.

Farm Cats.... Just replace them...............

So my lab has been sprayed 3 times the last two years....
    In a pinch you can make a mixture of baking soda, dawn dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide. A google search will provide the ratios. It does work. Leave it on for several minutes. The quicker you can do this the better. Luckily your dog has short hair. Be careful with the eyes though. Wash with normal detergent after.

After the first time my dog got sprayed I just bought “de-skunk” shampoo off amazon and it works well. I just use this now in place of the above mixture but once again the sooner the better so if you don’t have any on hand, make the mixture.

Also I will note that nothing is 100%. It will make your dog bearable but in my experience any time she gets wet you will smell it, for usually a month or two after, depending on how often you bathe your dog.

You would think they learn but here I am 3 sprays and carrying a baby skunk in the mouth later....

Have fun

My last lab killed 4 skunks in 3 weeks, all out pheasant hunting. She could kill a skunk and point and retrieve a pheasant 5 minutes later. Finally broke her with a shock collar at a friends house. He had skunks eating his cat food every evening. I lit her up if she even glanced in the skunks direction.

I used the peroxide, baking soda, dish soap mixture with good success.

Two pronged approach

Home mix as above.
    Followed by Nature's Miracle

Two pronged approach

Home mix as above.
    Followed by Nature's Miracle
    Actually bought some of this to clean the carpet. It seemed to work. I'll get home Friday and know right away when I walk in the house if it worked or not.

F ing cat got sprayed last night. Anyone have a full body leather suit? . Figure one of you degenerates has one....
    Good thing I have heavy hunting canvas jacket and pants.