• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how to get the most of out a remington 597

Mrmossberg500

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
hey all, so the first rifle I've ever owned is a Remington 597 in .22LR. at first it's been good to me, shooting 1-1.5 inch groups after the first 300 rounds or so. now, 5 years and about maybe 6,000 rounds later, the groups are starting to diverge for obvious reasons. the rifle is all stock, but does have a nice piece of glass on it. any ideas on how to breath some life back into this gun? stocks, barrels, trigger upgrades, anything that would help. cost is immaterial. thanks.

Re: how to get the most of out a remington 597

Welcome to the 'Hide!

This particular might best directed to the Remington sub-forum in RimfireCentral.com.

I think you can get back alot of accuracy out of any rifle by just cutting back the barrel a little bit and having it re-crowned. But if money is not anything close to an issue then why not have the whole action worked over, have a new barrel made by a great brand fitted to it and place it back into either the origional stock (pillar/glass bedded of course) or a new one of whichever flavour you're most interested in, and maybe if there are any aftermarket triggers available then drop one of those puppies in there too and have pretty much a full custom rifle built that will be extremely capable? I don't know anything about the 597 but I would assume that at the least having the barrel cut back should restore a ton of accuracy. If it were me I'd have that done, and the action reworked. If the trigger is fine then leave it as is. Maybe get a new stock, maybe not.

Hope this helps,
-Dylan

PS - As stated above, this would probably get more results from RimfireCentral.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMossberg500</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> cost is immaterial. thanks. </div></div>

then ditch it and get a 10/22, or a mid to top shelf bolt.

now for the obvious, you did clean it to make sure it's not too fouled, correct?

How to get the most out of a Remington 597, a step by step guide.

1. Take said 597 to local pawn shop, scrap iron yard or smelter.

2. Sell the blasted thing.

3. Take proceeds from sale and buy a CZ, Ruger, Marlin
or Savage rimfire. (Anschutz is preferred, if funds allow.)

4. Enjoy.

I'm afraid that the above is probably harsh but true. you have already exceeded reasonable expectation, 6,000 good rounds is 6,000 more than most.

With all due respect to everyone who has posted thus far, the OP didn't really ask what rifles he could get instead, but rather what he could do to make what he's got as good as it used to be.

That being said I full heartedly agree that there are better rifles out there (specifically an Anschutz or 40x for non budget-minded people) and that as long as you don't mind the pricetag, and can add another gun to the safe, is the "best" rout in my opinion. Besides if your budget isn't a factor then I'm sure you can do whatever you want to your remmy AND afford a high dollar rifle that will do anything you can.

-Dylan

I know, just sayin'

And as stated, no disrespect intended
smile.gif

Rimfire rifles (regardless of make and model) do not generally fall off in accuracy. Barrels do not wear out until well into the hundreds of thousands of rounds.

If accuracy has fallen off I would look at these things:

1) Lead fouling in the barrel
2) Loose action screws
3) Warped stock that is now touching the barrel
4) CHECK YOU SCOPE BASE SCREWS. It is not uncommon for the scope bases to cause these issues. Check the scope ring screws, and the scope base screws.
5) (and this is specific towards the 597) Check to see if the inlet has opened up from the impact that semi-autos put on the stock. See photo below. This was caused by loose action screws on my 597 and it allowed the action to slam forwards and backwards. Careful bedding solved the issue. (and tightening the action screws of course!)

Receiver-moving-in-Stock.jpg

To the OP.

The 597 is a fine semi-auto. Don't let people talking crap about your choice in rifles get to you. Check over on Rimfire Central and you will see that the 597 has a huge following. They can be extremely accurate for their price range.

I used to shoot strictly off the bench at 25yards with most my rimfire rifles. At that time I had shot my smallest groups with my 597. Smallest group with that rifle was .055" and had lots and lots of small groups like that. The are a quite capable rifle. Check with the crowd over at Rimfire Central.

It likes to shoot bugholes too.
smile.gif

BV-Dead-Fly.jpg

for a basic 22 the 597 has nice sights but most folks do not pick this model to customize/accuratize so the options, parts, information are more limited than the other models mentioned, + 1 on RFC for all things rimfire. The path of least resistance for 22 semi is 10/22

Trental has the right idea. Check all of the things he listed & I'll bet you will find one or more applys to your rifle. My 597 is the synthetic stock model. I don't really know how many rounds I've run through it, but it has to be close to 10,000 by now. I use it to shoot turtles out of the farm pond mostly, but it has seen it's share of rabbit & squrill hunting along with a bunch of range time. I had it out last Sunday dialing in a SS scope & it still shoots good. I did do most of the things the folks at RFC suggest because I had some problems when the thing was new.

Remington 597 Modification Guide.

I would start by dismounting the barrel and giving it a good cleaning from the chamber end. Follow this with several long-term bore soaks using Shooters' Choice Lead Remover solvent. Get hold of a basic .22LR chamber reamer and use it to gently, manually chase the chamber to remove any lead ring accumulations that the front end of the chamber.

Remount, reassemble, and check for any accuracy improvement. Unless the crown needs attention, this is often all that's needed to periodically renew the barrel to its original accuracy level.

This is a basic preventive maintenance measure that can help pretty much any .22LR barrel.

Greg