• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to ID shifting recticle?

tensnxs

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2007
California
I have several MK4s and a couple of cheaper Burris Fullfield IIs. I recently noticed during dry firing on the same rifle the Burris' recticle doesn't move or even vibrate at all while the MK4 ER/T's does. Does that signify a problem with the MK4? My buddy borrowed my Burris so I can't shoot it side by side for comparison.

I've always been suspicious of the scope quality not up to the accuracy potential of my rifles. How do you test for scope's built quality? are there ways to tell besides shooting 2 or 3 different scopes side by side?

Set up scope for eye relief, check your ocular, go to the range, adjust obj, check for parallax, shoot.

outside of that i'm not sure how to check how well an optic works.

Run a track test. of course; i'm sayin all this assuming the shooter can deliver every time

if you eye socket is warm at lunchtime, your eye is working hard to adjust which means your ocular is fuxked up.

If your scope is shifting zero you will have poor accuracy, point of impact shifts, constantly fiddling with the windage/elevation to get it just right.

Another thing to check is lower power zero vs high. You may find that the zero shifts with an increase in magnification.

The lens with the reticule on it can come lose and then it will rotate while you fire like the arms on a clock.

What BCP said....

I noticed the zero shift along with opening of groups, then I visibly noticed the reticle shift inside the scope while firing.